Fulbright 2016 - 2017

MastersHoping

16 hours ago, sairam94 said:

@geocat let me know if the IIE gets back to you about your paperwork! I'm really hoping there are no penalties :( I'm really freaking out 

I let the Program Manager know that I couldn't access the program page in the online portal to upload my documents and today they fixed the bug in the page for me, so I uploaded the documents (almost a week past the deadline). The Program Manager didn't have any problem with it or reference the deadline. I think you will be fine too. Let me know.

3 hours ago, salmazahran1992 said:

Yes, that's the problem I am facing! thus, I have to live somewhere in a safe neighborhood :( that's why I was asking cause safe neighborhood like east harbor are pretty much expensive! 

Baltimore isn't a very dangerous city. Like every big city on earth, there are just some places I wouldn't go at night. Just try for a middle of the range apartment and you'll be fine!

1 hour ago, geocat said:

I let the Program Manager know that I couldn't access the program page in the online portal to upload my documents and today they fixed the bug in the page for me, so I uploaded the documents (almost a week past the deadline). The Program Manager didn't have any problem with it or reference the deadline. I think you will be fine too. Let me know.

I emailed Philana Murphy and she said it was fine!! Thank god haha

2 hours ago, Carterware said:

Baltimore isn't a very dangerous city. Like every big city on earth, there are just some places I wouldn't go at night. Just try for a middle of the range apartment and you'll be fine!

Thanks so much :)

9 hours ago, Swingin_Sween said:

Same. Someone from the Fulbright Applicant Facebook group said that IIE wanted to notify everyone by April 15th this year, although that looks unlikely to me based on how many of us are still waiting

Can you link that group?

@justme17, thanks for your thoughts!

For anyone else wondering about timeline changes, I asked the Polish Commission about the dates on my Research Grant, and they said that in exceptional cases, they may let people start earlier, in August. The only other option is to shorten the grant period to the start date I wish, which would also involve losing the possibility to apply for an extension, or to turn down the grant and apply again later.

This does appear to be per commission, as I know a former Research grantee to Egypt who pushed back the start date and still received the full amount of funding and was also granted an extension.

Hey everyone, I have a couple questions I'm hoping some of you could help me with. For context, I'm going to be an ETA in Germany this fall. 

1. Does anybody with knowledge specific to Germany know if we are given a flight voucher, or if we pay for a flight ourselves and are reimbursed? 

2. On the medical form it asks about seeing a psychiatrist/therapist. Does anybody get rejected for this? I saw a therapist for a little while because of some family issues, but I was never diagnosed with any mental health issues or prescribed anything. Just wondering what other people's experiences might be, feel free to private message me as well. 

Much appreciated, and sending good vibes to all those still waiting! 

40 minutes ago, whaynes2 said:

Finalist for Kosovo! Good luck everyone!

7 minutes ago, Swingin_Sween said:

HEEEYYYYOOOOOOOO!!!! Me too man! Congrats!! I'd say we start a group but I think its just us lol. I'm pumped

Wow! Congratulations, guys! That is amazing.

Hey everyone,

Current ETA in Taiwan here. I haunted this place a lot last year looking for updates, and I figured I'd come back and share my application experience, especially for all you current alternates out there. I found out I was an alternate in April, waited for months, and then eventually gave up and accepted an offer to grad school. I enrolled, got a job at the university, and started looking for apartments.

In the middle of July, two weeks before the program start date, I got an email from Fulbright saying a spot had opened up. I dropped everything, rushed a lot of paperwork, stored my belongings, and 14 days later I was here attending orientation. In addition, I found out two other ETAs in my program this year also got moved up from alternates in July.

Basically what I'm saying is, don't give up just because a month or two has passed since notifications went out. It's good to start planning alternatives, but there's still a very real chance you could get selected, even at the last minute. Maybe hold off on signing a lease if you can ;)

Good luck everybody! You're all awesome.

22 hours ago, sbees said:

Just been promoted from alternate to finalist for Poland ETA! :D:D:D It does happen! Have faith alternates :)

gratulacje! :) do widzenia w polsce!

does anyone know if we've a facebook group for poland finalists yet? :o 

Edited by emiliajulia

I had a bad dream last night that I finally got the email from Fulbright. They did not tell me that I didn't get the award directly, but instead blabbed on about the criteria with which they use to award people and why my application didn't fit that criteria. Ouch. 

:wacko:

15 hours ago, busybee said:

I had a bad dream last night that I finally got the email from Fulbright. They did not tell me that I didn't get the award directly, but instead blabbed on about the criteria with which they use to award people and why my application didn't fit that criteria. Ouch. 

:wacko:

Aw! The wait is definitely getting rough.  At this point it is hard to believe that we will ever find out! I am putting everything I have into hoping that we hear back this week.  What country are you waiting to hear from?