Fulbright 2016 - 2017

MastersHoping

On 4/8/2016 at 7:37 PM, NepalBound said:

Has anyone else not heard from their commission regarding specific grant details? It's been two weeks since I was notified and haven't heard anything from them...

I was notified on March 11 (finalist for ETA Italy) and still haven't received the grant authorization documents or found out which city I'll be posted in. 

Got an email from the Italian commission March 25th that confirmed the total $$ figure (matched the figure listed online), and assured me that I'd be notified of my posting as soon as a decision was made (they made it sound like I'd get an unofficial heads up before the official grant documents came through). The waiting is frustrating (anxious to start looking for places to live!), but I have my fingers crossed to hear something this week.

Edited by high jump coach

15 hours ago, whaynes2 said:

I was curious if anyone could tell me the start date of the grant period?

Depends on the country and grant type. For example, my research grant can start anytime between July 1st, 2016 and March 31st, 2017. Which country/program are you looking for?

16 hours ago, whaynes2 said:

I was curious if anyone could tell me the start date of the grant period?

Yeah, it does depends on the country as the poster above me mentioned.

Mine's for Italy Research/Study, so it starts on October 10, 2017 to July 10, 2017. Would be nice to have some flexibility as long they say "it must be 9 months...the start/end date can be whenever." Oh well, but hey, at least I got the Fulbright grant! :) 

1 hour ago, kyjin said:

Depends on the country and grant type. For example, my research grant can start anytime between July 1st, 2016 and March 31st, 2017. Which country/program are you looking for?

I received a research grant to Kosovo. I was just curious about other people's start dates. I have an internship this summer and am trying to figure that schedule out. I guess I'll find out when I receive my letter! Thank you!

I've gone through a lot of the posts on this discussion board and found a lot of them really interesting, but I haven't seen much of anything from the Fulbright-Clinton applicants...I was selected as a semi-finalist at the end of January, had my interview with the host country's embassy in mid-February, and haven't heard anything since.  I called a couple times, but IIE has been very tight lipped. Is anyone else applying to this program? If so, have you heard anything or have any word on when final selections may be made? Thanks, al!

16 minutes ago, Anne Mulhern said:

I've gone through a lot of the posts on this discussion board and found a lot of them really interesting, but I haven't seen much of anything from the Fulbright-Clinton applicants...I was selected as a semi-finalist at the end of January, had my interview with the host country's embassy in mid-February, and haven't heard anything since.  I called a couple times, but IIE has been very tight lipped. Is anyone else applying to this program? If so, have you heard anything or have any word on when final selections may be made? Thanks, al!

I know someone who was selected for Coete d'Ivoire (I think), but she hasn't heard anything more regarding placement. That's really all I can tell you. 

16 minutes ago, whaynes2 said:

I know someone who was selected for Coete d'Ivoire (I think), but she hasn't heard anything more regarding placement. That's really all I can tell you. 

34 minutes ago, Anne Mulhern said:

I'm a semi-finalist for Cote d'Ivoire but I haven't heard anything back either. I also had an interview in February and the people there said I would hear back either late March or early April. Looking at the spreadsheet, it looks like sub-saharan Africa usually finds out mid-April so I am hoping it will be sometime this week.

17 minutes ago, dbstr said:

I'm a semi-finalist for Cote d'Ivoire but I haven't heard anything back either. I also had an interview in February and the people there said I would hear back either late March or early April. Looking at the spreadsheet, it looks like sub-saharan Africa usually finds out mid-April so I am hoping it will be sometime this week.

Semifinalist for Senegal here. I talked to Mr. Jones last week, and it looks like we might be a little ways off (he'd hoped to find out by this upcoming Friday, but you know how these things are). I'm hoping that it will be no later than April 18...!

14 minutes ago, HomewardBound said:

Semifinalist for Senegal here. I talked to Mr. Jones last week, and it looks like we might be a little ways off (he'd hoped to find out by this upcoming Friday, but you know how these things are). I'm hoping that it will be no later than April 18...!

Hopefully we find out by Friday then! Who is Mr. Jones? Is he involved with Fulbright?

Just now, dbstr said:

Hopefully we find out by Friday then! Who is Mr. Jones? Is he involved with Fulbright?

Oops, sorry! That sounds very strange out of context. Yes, Jermaine Jones is the program manager for the sub-Saharan Africa region for Fulbright.

3 hours ago, whaynes2 said:

I received a research grant to Kosovo. I was just curious about other people's start dates. I have an internship this summer and am trying to figure that schedule out. I guess I'll find out when I receive my letter! Thank you!

The Kosovo country page say that the grant is September to June: http://us.fulbrightonline.org/countries/selectedcountry/kosovo

The timeline is the same for Moldova and I believe that in past years the grants have started September 1st. But I know that exceptions have been made before.  

On 4/6/2016 at 1:05 PM, Carterware said:

Baltimore isn't a very dangerous city. Like every big city on earth, there are just some places I wouldn't go at night. Just try for a middle of the range apartment and you'll be fine!

It's one of the most dangerous cities in America, "The city of Baltimore, Maryland, United States is infamous for its very high crime rate, including a violent crime rate that ranks high above the national average."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Baltimore

I've been there too and for someone who's traveling there from outside the country, it would probably be smart to check the crime reports of whatever area you've been in. I lived in some cities/area that aren't rank very high on crime and even some of those areas were extremely sketch.

Hi everyone,

I heard that the Taiwan results were out, so I thought I'd check back here. I am currently an ETA and remember checking this forum religiously during the application process last year. I was named an Alternate at the end of last April and was frantically applying for jobs while I worked a full-time summer position set to end at the beginning of August. July 2nd, after I had basically spent three months believing the Fulbright was never going to happen, I received an email saying I was bumped up to Principal. I was given until the end of business hours THAT DAY to decide and then about three weeks to get all the medical forms, visa, and other paperwork done, move out of my apartment, unpack and repack all my things, and fly off to Taiwan. 

I was placed in Kinmen, which was definitely not my first choice, but I've come to love it here! If anyone has any questions, please feel free to reach out. My email is karenlue13@gmail.com. 

To everyone still waiting: good luck!! The waiting game is the worst.

2 hours ago, kyl19 said:

Hi everyone,

I heard that the Taiwan results were out, so I thought I'd check back here. I am currently an ETA and remember checking this forum religiously during the application process last year. I was named an Alternate at the end of last April and was frantically applying for jobs while I worked a full-time summer position set to end at the beginning of August. July 2nd, after I had basically spent three months believing the Fulbright was never going to happen, I received an email saying I was bumped up to Principal. I was given until the end of business hours THAT DAY to decide and then about three weeks to get all the medical forms, visa, and other paperwork done, move out of my apartment, unpack and repack all my things, and fly off to Taiwan. 

I was placed in Kinmen, which was definitely not my first choice, but I've come to love it here! If anyone has any questions, please feel free to reach out. My email is karenlue13@gmail.com. 

To everyone still waiting: good luck!! The waiting game is the worst.

:) HI KAREN! It's Karissa lol. I also came by to see if any of the Taiwan grantees were posted! 

I'm currently a research fellow in Taipei and my grant actually doesn't end until October so I hope to meet some of the research fellows if you're on here!

19 hours ago, Dostoprimechatel'nosti said:

The Kosovo country page say that the grant is September to June: http://us.fulbrightonline.org/countries/selectedcountry/kosovo

The timeline is the same for Moldova and I believe that in past years the grants have started September 1st. But I know that exceptions have been made before.  

16 hours ago, Dostoprimechatel'nosti said:

I'm going to Moldova!!! Thank you everyone for keeping me sane!! My email came through at 7:02PM EST - it can happen at any time!

Thank you, and congratulations! I'll see you at orientation!

Hey guys! I've been following along, but never commented until now. I am a semi finalist to Ghana and I think we should be hearing any day now....

Any one else on here a Ghana research applicant? 

To the fellow that posted the spreadsheet: YOU ARE AN ANGEL!!!!

Congrats to all the finalists, and good luck to those still waiting. Good to have found this community :)