Fulbright 2016 - 2017

MastersHoping

Hi all,

Congratulations to all new recipients; you will do great things!

A small update for those of us in the cursed 'Alternate' purgatory:  Germany took 41 alternates for study/research, ~1/2 the number of total research grants.  I am not sure how that compares to other years/countries, but it does offer some perspective.  With this news, I won't be anxiously awaiting a promotion message.  There is always next year, at least.

Got word I'm a finalist for the India Research grant yesterday. No notification of CLEA-- seems like it's awarded independent of your Fulbright grant, so they'll probably award it out of the pool of people who got the Fulbright, which means it will take more time? I haven't seen a facebook page for India either, someone should set it up :)

On 3/29/2016 at 8:58 PM, nehagreddy said:

Guys I was hoping to get some advice. I recently found out I was awarded a Princeton in Africa fellowship, and I need to either accept or decline by tomorrow afternoon, which is very soon and is stressing me out. I am a semifinalist for Fulbright Research in India, and really have no idea anymore when the decision will be released. For others who have applied/been awarded fellowships, are you just accepting what you receive first, then doing the slightly-unprofessional thing and backing out if you get Fulbright/another top choice? I know that it's not as big of a deal with job offers, but with fellowships I'm guessing it could look a lot worse to do that.

Hey! I'm a finalist for Princeton in Asia (will hear in the next week) and I was originally planning to take whatever one I was offered first and then backing out if need be. Butttttt I wrote on both applications that I was applying to Fulbright AND PiA... I've heard that these programs have ways of making sure that you really do withdraw from Fulbright if you get PiA. So.... it's risky. But ultimately up to you. I think if I get PiA, I will simply say that I'm waiting for Fulbright and that I won't be able to accept the PiA offer. It sucks, I know. 

2 hours ago, pup said:

Hi all,

Congratulations to all new recipients; you will do great things!

A small update for those of us in the cursed 'Alternate' purgatory:  Germany took 41 alternates for study/research, ~1/2 the number of total research grants.  I am not sure how that compares to other years/countries, but it does offer some perspective.  With this news, I won't be anxiously awaiting a promotion message.  There is always next year, at least.

• I emailed the Europe (except Germany) coordinator to ask for info on number of alternates for Italy and how many of the 14 spots for research grants have accepted.  She said she couldn't tell me anything.  Would you mind sharing where/how you found this information out?  If you'd rather PM me, that would be awesome, too.  Good luck to you and all the other alternates!

7 hours ago, ugotthis said:

I am a Jordan ETA finalist!! So excited! I wish everyone else the best of luck!!

Also a Jordan ETA finalist! Let's get in touch! totally new on here (just created an account) is there a way to send a direct message?

11 hours ago, Photogeographic said:

Any one anxiously waiting for Fulbright's next application cycle to start tomorrow ? 0_0 

40 minutes ago, Asmith10 said:

I am 0_0. I never post but I am on here constantly. I will be applying for the 2017-2018 cycle!

Hi photogeographic and Asmith

I've started this for the next cycle

http://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/77132-fulbright-2017-2018/

Congratulations to this cycles grantees! And to those who did not get accepted; there are a lot of opportunities available to you to get similar experiences. And to those in the waiting game still; good luck

Edited by jenrd
spelling error

9 hours ago, jenrd said:

Hi photogeographic and Asmith

I've started this for the next cycle

http://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/77132-fulbright-2017-2018/

Congratulations to this cycles grantees! And to those who did not get accepted; there are a lot of opportunities available to you to get similar experiences. And to those in the waiting game still; good luck

THANK YOU !! 

3 hours ago, horatiustb said:

Hey all,

For the finalists here, did you physically sign the terms and conditions paper or just pdf style sign them?

I printed them out and physically signed them to send it in. Then I scanned it and uploaded it in pdf form.

Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted ^__^

Still anxiously awaiting news from Morocco (but I'm hoping Morocco will follow Jordan and let me know soon!). Best of luck to those still waiting

30 minutes ago, Jocelot said:

Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted ^__^

Still anxiously awaiting news from Morocco (but I'm hoping Morocco will follow Jordan and let me know soon!). Best of luck to those still waiting

I'm feeling the same way about Bahrain! C'mon Arab countries!

8 hours ago, PhD or Bust said:

Seriously Mexico!! For goodness sake please tell me one way or the other! It is so hard to concentrate on work and make plans for my research year without knowing my status...:(

If there any more of an amazing day to let us know, it would be tomorrow, April 1st... It would totally redefine April Fool's Day for me no matter the outcome lol

On 3/30/2016 at 11:25 AM, Sen Ver said:

Hey! I'm a finalist for Princeton in Asia (will hear in the next week) and I was originally planning to take whatever one I was offered first and then backing out if need be. Butttttt I wrote on both applications that I was applying to Fulbright AND PiA... I've heard that these programs have ways of making sure that you really do withdraw from Fulbright if you get PiA. So.... it's risky. But ultimately up to you. I think if I get PiA, I will simply say that I'm waiting for Fulbright and that I won't be able to accept the PiA offer. It sucks, I know. 

Hey! So I actually made the decision to tell PiAf when they needed a decision that I wasn't comfortable making one before hearing back from Fulbright. They were only willing to give me a 2 hour extension haha so I ended up turning down the offer. Was risky and I was nervous but luckily somehow I heard back two hours later that I got the Fulbright! So it worked out for me. Fingers crossed that it works out for you as well!