Fall 2016 Applicants

missmend

Quick question being as I'm so new to this:

What does it mean when there is "recommended for admittance" change on the website application but I haven't heard from a department about funding? Does that mean no funding or the department is waiting to tell me?

I'm actually a little blown out of water, this was a reach program for me. What I'm concerned about is that I was admitted without funding. 

3 minutes ago, HinH said:

What does it mean when there is "recommended for admittance" change on the website application but I haven't heard from a department about funding? Does that mean no funding or the department is waiting to tell me?

I'm actually a little blown out of water, this was a reach program for me. What I'm concerned about is that I was admitted without funding. 

It could mean many things. Sometimes it means that the department has recommended to the graduate college that you should be accepted. Sometimes the adcom has recommended to the chair of the department that you should be accepted. Who knows, really.

Whatever the case, I think it's a good sign. :) 

5 minutes ago, HinH said:

Were you emailed to check your status? Or just randomly noticed this?

1 minute ago, tipmar said:

Were you emailed to check your status? Or just randomly noticed this?

Emailed. The email was from the graduate school and stated that the history department would be contacting me about funding. But I haven't heard from the department yet (although I may be jumping the gun a bit - I only got the email late last afternoon)

1 minute ago, HinH said:

Emailed. The email was from the graduate school and stated that the history department would be contacting me about funding. But I haven't heard from the department yet (although I may be jumping the gun a bit - I only got the email late last afternoon)

What program was it?

13 minutes ago, HinH said:

It usually means the department has approved your application and it has to be finalized by the graduate school to move forward (which usually it is unless there is a problem with your transcripts). 

It doesn't mean "no funding" at all, especially if you were told funding information would come later. It just means they wanted to update you on your application and are likely putting together funding packages for accepted candidates now.

Just now, nevermind said:

It usually means the department has approved your application and it has to be finalized by the graduate school to move forward (which usually it is unless there is a problem with your transcripts). 

It doesn't mean "no funding" at all, especially if you were told funding information would come later. It just means they wanted to update you on your application and are likely putting together funding packages for accepted candidates now.

Oh I hope so, thank you!

7 minutes ago, HinH said:

Sounds like this is just a case of funding and admission notices coming separately, which is common. I'd be pretty pleased at this point and give things a few days - I'd expect the department to contact you shortly. 

Edited by tipmar

2 minutes ago, HinH said:

OU

If you do get accepted and are at all curious about the university or town, send me a PM, assuming you're talking about the U. of Oklahoma.

I'm a full-time staff member at OU and have lived in Norman for close to 10 years now. Unfortunately, I'm history of science, not history (separate departments), so I can't poke around and ask about the current status of applicants. 

3 minutes ago, tipmar said:

Sounds like this is just a case of funding and admission notices coming separately, which is common. I'd be pretty pleased at this point and give things a few days - I's expect the department to contact you shortly. 

I agree. I think it's a really good sign!

6 minutes ago, Neist said:

If you do get accepted and are at all curious about the university or town, send me a PM, assuming you're talking about the U. of Oklahoma.

I'm a full-time staff member at OU and have lived in Norman for close to 10 years now. Unfortunately, I'm history of science, not history (separate departments), so I can't poke around and ask about the current status of applicants. 

I agree. I think it's a really good sign!

Thanks, I'll definitely do that when I know more!  

16:31, no news from Yale. I am not sure why schools drag out the bad news for as long as they do. I mean if they've rejected me, they are not going to change their decision, then why not just tell me when they are also spreading the good news around?

I just checked my app status, and no messages either. ugh. 

Edited by RamyaS

I've heard back from most of my programs except for UCLA and USCB, and i wish they would notify so that I can begin the decision making process! Waiting is infuriating!!! 

Edited by anxietygirl

3 hours ago, RamyaS said:

I bit the bullet and asked Yale about the status of my application. Strange silence :) :/ 

I did the same to RPI. They might send out waves of admits, but the last one we know of was on the 4th. 

Silence. :P 

At this point I'd like to hear anything, including bad news.

Just now, anxietygirl said:

I've heard back from most of my programs except for UCLA and USCB, and i wish they would notify so that I can begin the decision making process! Waiting is infuriating!!! 

I agree. Anyone who knows me knows that I strongly dislike doing nothing. A shark analogy wouldn't be misused on me. Sitting around feels very.... inefficient.

@Neist I agree. It does feel extremely inefficient (to put it mildly).  And yes, any news is welcome. For schools like Yale that had deadlines in December and have been sending out admits, it is a little annoying to just have silence when they have made up their minds.