Fall 2016 Applicants

missmend

21 minutes ago, Neist said:

I agree. Anyone who knows me knows that I strongly dislike doing nothing. A shark analogy wouldn't be misused on me. Sitting around feels very.... inefficient.

My only solace is that I'm still taking classes this semester. One of them is an interdisciplinary course on the formation of the earth and the homework requires me to teach myself a bunch of calculus--I've taken precisely 0 units of calc. That keeps me busy.

1 hour ago, nom said:

@Sallyplant @Ahtlatl thanks for your responses! The wait game is real.

Do you guys think UCLA sent out all of its acceptances? I do East Asian History...I hope not.....

I'm East Asian too and also still waiting to hear... Did you apply for FLAS?

11 minutes ago, fencergirl said:

I'm East Asian too and also still waiting to hear... Did you apply for FLAS?

Not yet,  it's due on the 17th,  right? 

Edited by nom

3 hours ago, nom said:

Do you guys think UCLA sent out all of its acceptances? I do East Asian History...I hope not.....

Well, UCLA didn't send me an acceptance. My POI just called and told me that I was the one chosen for Latin America, and that they just needed to get it formally approved (which pretty much always happens). So far there have been 2 other UCLA admits posted in the results section. They didn't say what area they're working on, though. IIRC there is only, maybe two people admitted per geographic region, so your chances depend on what fields those admits are in. Last week I asked my POI for an update (before he called me) and he said that Friday they were making their final decisions. Someone in the PhD program told me that as well. I'm not sure if they meant that the committee for Latin American history was meeting, or that all the committees were meeting to make decisions for all history fields.

EDIT: I'm meeting one of my sources soon, I'll see if I can glean more info.

Edited by Ahtlatl

6 minutes ago, Ahtlatl said:

Well, UCLA didn't send me an acceptance. My POI just called and told me that I was the one chosen for Latin America, and that they just needed to get it formally approved (which pretty much always happens). So far there have been 2 other UCLA admits posted in the results section. They didn't say what area they're working on, though. IIRC there is only, maybe two people admitted per geographic region, so your chances depend on what fields those admits are in. Last week I asked my POI for an update (before he called me) and he said that Friday they were making their final decisions. Someone in the PhD program told me that as well. I'm not sure if they meant that the committee for each field within history was meeting, or that they were making decisions for all history fields.

This is useful... The wait continues until Friday! But congratulations to you! 

8 minutes ago, nom said:

This is useful... The wait continues until Friday! But congratulations to you! 

Sorry, I meant that was last Friday that they met. Like I said, I don't know if they met to choose all the admits, but I'll ask my guy on the inside soon to clarify this.

5 minutes ago, Ahtlatl said:

Sorry, I meant that was last Friday that they met. Like I said, I don't know if they met to choose all the admits, but I'll ask my guy on the inside soon to clarify this.

Ah okay... Sigh.... Well still waiting to hear back... Good or bad news.. I'm just ready to move on

Just wanted to share something to everybody who is admitted and waiting for the funding packaging info. I was in this situation with the promise of funding offer after the recruitment weekend and after freaking out and chatting with one helpful forum fellow;) I just emailed the program and asked to give me some general funding info, so they did (e.g. tuition will be covered etc) and now I feel so much better about it!

11 minutes ago, emmabear said:

Just wanted to share something to everybody who is admitted and waiting for the funding packaging info. I was in this situation with the promise of funding offer after the recruitment weekend and after freaking out and chatting with one helpful forum fellow;) I just emailed the program and asked to give me some general funding info, so they did (e.g. tuition will be covered etc) and now I feel so much better about it!

Solid advice. Don't be shy, ask about your funding upfront.

many congrats to everyone! :D does anyone know if UMich is done sending out acceptances? I just spent a quick minute checking my application status, but honestly the page is quite confusing and I actually couldn't locate the application status. 

Edited by emiliajulia
clarity!

4 hours ago, nom said:

Yea, I don't think mine was a formal indication of being on the waitlist either, my old professor just emailed me, probably as a courtesy since she was my thesis advisor and I've been bugging her for the past 3 years. She said that visit day was March 17th for everyone that got accepted first round if that helps with a timeline. Also, I'm East Asian History too, so that probably means that they've decided on the East Asian admits if they got a wait list goin. Hope that helps!