Fall 2016 Applicants

missmend

@alain I was waitlisted at Stanford, a few years ago. No one got off the waitlist that year. But the chair was very nice about my emails asking about when I might hear and if waitlisted candidates do ever get accepted. Hope this helps! :) 

11 minutes ago, RamyaS said:

@alain I was waitlisted at Stanford, a few years ago. No one got off the waitlist that year. But the chair was very nice about my emails asking about when I might hear and if waitlisted candidates do ever get accepted. Hope this helps! :) 

This is great to hear! I don't think it could hurt. 

Congrats to the Brown and Chicago admissions! I asked a little while ago, but does anyone know if historically Penn accepts applicants they didn't interview? Folks who got interviews, was there any hint that not everyone was being interviewed? I just want to know if I should assume that no interview equals a rejection.

Hey guys, I got an early acceptance from Boston University! My focus is Central Africa. Seems like an awesome program. I tried to limit my applications to only a few programs and it seems to have worked. I got in at UMass Amherst and now BU, both schools I would love to go to and have a strong fit with. Now just waiting with many more of you for my results from Yale, which at this point I assume is not a likely acceptance.

19 minutes ago, YeshuaNgome said:

Hey guys, I got an early acceptance from Boston University! My focus is Central Africa. Seems like an awesome program. I tried to limit my applications to only a few programs and it seems to have worked. I got in at UMass Amherst and now BU, both schools I would love to go to and have a strong fit with. Now just waiting with many more of you for my results from Yale, which at this point I assume is not a likely acceptance.

Congrats!  Boston and Amherst are awesome places and the area BU is in is amazing.

37 minutes ago, YeshuaNgome said:

Congratulations!

I see someone posted that they got into University of Illinois Urbana today as well. I'm not sure what to think about it since last year there were bout 7-8 people who posted in the first wave of admits. I'm keeping hope alive because I think it would be an excellent fit for me. However, I dunno how I would deal with an $8,000 stipend...

20 minutes ago, Septerra said:

I see someone posted that they got into University of Illinois Urbana today as well. I'm not sure what to think about it since last year there were bout 7-8 people who posted in the first wave of admits. I'm keeping hope alive because I think it would be an excellent fit for me. However, I dunno how I would deal with an $8,000 stipend...

I echo that first sentiment. 

I'm pretty sure they give $8,000 per semester. That's more than enough for an area like Urbana and Champaign. 

1 hour ago, YeshuaNgome said:

Hey there.  I'm actually looking to apply this coming fall for grad programs, also with a Central African focus.  (Not too many of us out there, it seems!)  What made you choose those two programs specifically?  I looked over the professors' areas of interests, and while I can see the BU fit, I don't see it for UMass.  What made that an attractive program for you?

Congrats to everyone else who has been getting acceptances, hopefully I'll be this luck this time next year.  =)

54 minutes ago, Septerra said:

Hi! That was me. I got an email yesterday from the graduate diversity office, which was confusing since I haven't heard about admissions. So I called the graduate secretary, and it seems that the DGS (or somebody at the office) didn't type my email address correctly, so I didn't get the email. Apparently, they sent out all the admissions letters last week. 

4 minutes ago, bibliomancer said:

Hi! That was me. I got an email yesterday from the graduate diversity office, which was confusing since I haven't heard about admissions. So I called the graduate secretary, and it seems that the DGS (or somebody at the office) didn't type my email address correctly, so I didn't get the email. Apparently, they sent out all the admissions letters last week. 

Well that's good to know. Congrats on your acceptance!

2 hours ago, YeshuaNgome said:

Congratulations. Out of curiosity, why did you decide not to apply to Michigan?

Mainly regional. I live in the Northeast and would prefer to stay there for grad school. Also, I returned from a few months in the DRC in mid November and the December 1st deadlines of Michigan and Wisconsin Madison were a little too soon for me to make sufficiently strong statements/applications.

1 hour ago, fortsibut said:

Hey there.  I'm actually looking to apply this coming fall for grad programs, also with a Central African focus.  (Not too many of us out there, it seems!)  What made you choose those two programs specifically?  I looked over the professors' areas of interests, and while I can see the BU fit, I don't see it for UMass.  What made that an attractive program for you?

I went to UMass Amherst for my undergrad and have come to know and love the history department there. My primary interest is in 20th century political history in the Democratic Republic of Congo. For my honors thesis, I worked under Prof. John Higginson and wrote a biography of Patrice Lumumba. Prof. Higginson used to focus on the Congo before the political challenges of the 1990s made it difficult for him to continue there. He shifted to southern Africa but still has a major wealth of knowledge and experience regarding Congo. Also, Prof. Christian Appy is an expert in American Vietnam War history, which has some tie-in with the Congo due to the Cold War mindset and intervention which the US brought to the Congo in 1960 and during the whole decade as they covertly propped up different governments centering around Mobutu.

Is there a specific field in Central Africa you are most interested in? 

Having a chat with POI at Northwestern today. I'm feeling extremely nervous as I really like POI's work and want to make a good impression (or at least not a bad one). The good news is that I'm already accepted. (Still - if you have any advice on how to not make a fool of myself, hit me up). It's my top choice and while I like the other schools I've been accepted to a lot, I feel that if all goes well I'll feel at peace to make my decision. (Although technically still waiting on UCLA and Vanderbilt, which I think after next week I will assume are rejections). I'm working abroad and not really able to take time off to go to to visit weekends unfortunately. 

Congratulations to the Chicago admits. If you have any questions about the program, feel free to message me.

3 minutes ago, fencergirl said:

Having a chat with POI at Northwestern today. I'm feeling extremely nervous as I really like POI's work and want to make a good impression (or at least not a bad one). The good news is that I'm already accepted. (Still - if you have any advice on how to not make a fool of myself, hit me up). It's my top choice and while I like the other schools I've been accepted to a lot, I feel that if all goes well I'll feel at peace to make my decision. (Although technically still waiting on UCLA and Vanderbilt, which I think after next week I will assume are rejections). I'm working abroad and not really able to take time off to go to to visit weekends unfortunately. 

Judging from my time there, Vanderbilt's history department never struck me as a great place to work on East Asian history. I knew a graduate student working on Japan and the support system was not as good as in other places.

13 minutes ago, navyblackmaroon said:

Congratulations to the Chicago admits. If you have any questions about the program, feel free to message me.

Judging from my time there, Vanderbilt's history department never struck me as a great place to work on East Asian history. I knew a graduate student working on Japan and the support system was not as good as in other places.

Yeah that is also my impression. Although two faculty members interests match mine pretty well, it's not that strong overall in Asian history and I wouldn't have many (any?) other Asianists in my cohort. 

15 minutes ago, fencergirl said:

Yeah that is also my impression. Although two faculty members interests match mine pretty well, it's not that strong overall in Asian history and I wouldn't have many (any?) other Asianists in my cohort. 

I would also second that. I completed the MTS in American Religious History at Vandy and had a lot of contact with the history department. Great place to do American and Europeon history, but pretty weak in many other areas.

3 hours ago, voforange said:

So has Harvard completely finished sending out offers? If they have does anyone know the makeup of the incoming history department class?

For what it's worth, I believe they are done and know for sure my subfield is done. Visit week is in a month so it will be any day if they haven't finished offers.