2016 Canadian SLP Thread

20 hours ago, OverCaffeinated said:

Ah I see. For me it's opposite. All of my 85-89 which I had quite a few off were supposed to be 4.0 as per uoft. But stupid orpas counts them as 3.9... So it lowered it. Was pretty angry yesterday

If it makes you feel better my 85-89's are all counted as 3.8. The system is really screwed! 

1 hour ago, speechies said:

If it makes you feel better my 85-89's are all counted as 3.8. The system is really screwed! 

Lmao..: I wish it made me feel better! That's actually pretty unfair.... 

But I (and you most likely)  worked so hard for that 3.7 cut off and then orpas goes and lowers it? *storms off* haha 

I know.. but by the looks of it you have applied to lots of schools, especially western I hear is very much into the volunteer experiences! I am sure we will be fine...but we will have to wait a while to find out hahaha!:rolleyes:

Hey! On ORPAS under current application data (the latest update after our GPAs were calculated), did anyone's program choices get reversed? I.e. I chose UofT first and then Western. Now in this updated application it has Western first and UofT second. It doesn't explicitly say an order unlike the first application. On my original application the order is still the same.

Thanks!

19 minutes ago, rachelfreed said:

Hey! On ORPAS under current application data (the latest update after our GPAs were calculated), did anyone's program choices get reversed? I.e. I chose UofT first and then Western. Now in this updated application it has Western first and UofT second. It doesn't explicitly say an order unlike the first application. On my original application the order is still the same.

Thanks!

its fine, because it still lists uoft as 01 and western 02 right?

should be ok as thats the official application 

12 hours ago, rachelfreed said:

Same for me. Might be be alphabetical (W precedes U). I wouldn't worry about it, they've stated that program choice doesn't affect your application anyway and they just collect it for their own data.

Has anyone else received a confirmation email from U of Alberta with their Bear Tracks login? I just got an email about how to access Bear Tracks but I never got the confirmation login email. 

ETA: never mind just received it!

Edited by klfstudent

On February 8, 2016 at 1:52 PM, OverCaffeinated said:

its fine, because it still lists uoft as 01 and western 02 right?

should be ok as thats the official application 

On February 9, 2016 at 1:36 AM, SLPright said:

Same for me. Might be be alphabetical (W precedes U). I wouldn't worry about it, they've stated that program choice doesn't affect your application anyway and they just collect it for their own data.

Thanks guys, good luck!

On 2/9/2016 at 1:36 AM, SLPright said:

WRONG!

jsut fyi, the choice DOES matter. starting this year, students who rank uoft as first as ranked higher in the applications than those who rated it second. i spoke with someone on the addcom. 

Has anyone else on here got a BEd degree? I just found out that ORPAS doesn't consider courses from BEd programs, and so instead they're using my first year courses (when I was in a BSc program) to calculate my subGPA, combined with some pre-requisite courses I've taken as a non-degree student...which brings my subGPA down from a 3.75 to a 3.56...anyone else in the same boat as me? I think I might cry....

On 2/10/2016 at 7:30 AM, OverCaffeinated said:

WRONG!

jsut fyi, the choice DOES matter. starting this year, students who rank uoft as first as ranked higher in the applications than those who rated it second. i spoke with someone on the addcom. 

From the ORPAS 2016 application instructions, page 3: "You must rank your program choices in order of preference. Ranking information is not used during the application review process and is not used as a criterion for admission."

That's pretty dishonest if they are factoring that in after all.

Just now, SLPright said:

From the ORPAS 2016 application instructions, page 3: "You must rank your program choices in order of preference. Ranking information is not used during the application review process and is not used as a criterion for admission."

That's pretty dishonest if they are factoring that in after all.

oh i didnt even see that.. its new this year though. apparently previously they gave out a bunch of admission and a lot of them went to western last minute and they had under admitted. so now theyre using it as an additional factor...

I can see it being an unofficial factor, manifesting because the schools might try to keep in mind a given student's likelihood of accepting an offer of admission. I don't think it looks good for a school if their stats for accepted students turning down offers are too poor. Strategic, kinda thing. I wouldn't know for certain, though.

For those who applied to the Ontario schools, does anyone know when/if we should expect to receive some kind of confirmation of receipt for our applications from the actual schools themselves?

14 minutes ago, lilacism said:

For those who applied to the Ontario schools, does anyone know when/if we should expect to receive some kind of confirmation of receipt for our applications from the actual schools themselves?

I don't know for sure but it might just be the orpas confirmation? 

7 hours ago, LetMeInPrettyPlease said:

Has anyone else on here got a BEd degree? I just found out that ORPAS doesn't consider courses from BEd programs, and so instead they're using my first year courses (when I was in a BSc program) to calculate my subGPA, combined with some pre-requisite courses I've taken as a non-degree student...which brings my subGPA down from a 3.75 to a 3.56...anyone else in the same boat as me? I think I might cry....

I'm currently in a BEd program. Honestly, I wasn't even expecting them to include my BEd marks just because the program is so different from undergrad and is not really mark focused at all. All the schools outside of Ontario include your BEd marks though. 

On 2/16/2016 at 2:34 PM, OverCaffeinated said:

Just received an email from western with portal information 

Me too! This was the "confirmation" that I was hoping for. I wonder if we'll receive anything like this from UofT or if they just send out an email if we get in April 1st.

2 hours ago, lindzzz said:

Sooo... I just saw on the results page that someone got accepted to Dalhousie as of February 18!? Really?????!!! Isn't that crazy early for Dal to be sending out decisions? (Based on past years).

Whoa, that is crazy early! Ha, Dal only got my transcripts (for Aud, not SLP) a week earlier than that. I don't know whether to be impressed at Dal's processing time or concerned that they're not giving the process as much attention as it's due.

Maybe they're a high-profile legacy or something. I could not tell you. I wish they'd come over to the thread. They've got some pretty decent GRE scores. 6.0 AW, nice.

Edited by treaclemineroad

7 hours ago, treaclemineroad said:

Whoa, that is crazy early! Ha, Dal only got my transcripts (for Aud, not SLP) a week earlier than that. I don't know whether to be impressed at Dal's processing time or concerned that they're not giving the process as much attention as it's due.

Maybe they're a high-profile legacy or something. I could not tell you. I wish they'd come over to the thread. They've got some pretty decent GRE scores. 6.0 AW, nice.

Haha yeah it seemed pretty fast to me!!! But I guess.. what do we know! My first thought was similar, ha, I was like... maybe this is some prodigy that simply must be granted acceptance ASAP :P And right?! Who gets a 6 on AW?! I got a 4 and was delighted with myself, hehe.

Are you applying to both Aud and SLP? 

9 hours ago, lindzzz said:

Haha yeah it seemed pretty fast to me!!! But I guess.. what do we know! My first thought was similar, ha, I was like... maybe this is some prodigy that simply must be granted acceptance ASAP :P And right?! Who gets a 6 on AW?! I got a 4 and was delighted with myself, hehe.

Are you applying to both Aud and SLP? 

Sort of. Just applied to Dal Aud. Given the choice, I would probably opt for SLP anyway, but that wasn't the case a couple of months ago.

I would have applied to more Aud programs but I don't like Western (attended there before... not good times) and I'm too poor to live in Vancouver, lol.