Laptop Recommendations

beefgallo

Does anyone have any experience with these?

http://www.dell.com/ca/p/inspiron-13-7347-laptop/pd?ref=PD_OC

Their price (in Canada, where I am not located, but my uncle is) is pretty good. And the specs too, of course.

This is the machine I'm using right now. I've only had it about a month, but I love it. Its light (which makes a HUGE difference to me after 2 years in a masters program) and it responds very well. I usually prefer laptops with the 10-key pad, but I've gotten used to not having that. The keypad feels pretty good, good spacing. I love the touch screen. The battery life has been great, however I only do word processing and web browsing, not a gamer at all. I originally purchased the 11in, but that was a bit too small for me, so returned for the 13.6in model (with the faster processor). 

Hope that helps, I'm not a techie by any means. But I'm use my laptop constantly and have no complaints thus far. 

I have a Macbook. I used to carry around a pro, but at the end of last year, I got an Air and I'm very happy with it. If you're in a PDF-downloading/image heavy area like art history, I recommend going for the one with a bit more storage space, or you need to be better than I am about moving things onto an external drive. 

Gonna jump in this thread for my own question.... 

Macbook Pro vs. MacBook Air- even though both list an i5 processor, when reading the specs on Best Buy website, it said 2.7Ghz for the Pro and something like 1.9 Ghz for the Air (The website is no longer showing the clock speed on the processors so I don't have the exact numbers any longer). Would the air at 1.9 be enough to handle programs such as SPSS or would it be better to stick with the Pro?

People with Macs that use programs such as SPSS, do you have an external number keypad?  

I just got a macbook pro (so take my words with a grain of salt) but you should look at the RAM capabilities of the two macbooks - if you tend to run RAM intensive programs I would go with the Pro, if not go with the Air.

that was a B) not sure why the sunglasses guy showed up  <_<

Haha, B appears to be too cool for lists!

Personally, I'm going with the Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga. I previously owned a Thinkpad X1 tablet and enjoyed my time with it. The main reasons I'm investing in Lenovo again are 1 ) I wanted writing capabilities, 2 ) I understand Windows operating systems and can usually upgrade, repair, or solve issues that come up on my own (with the help of my friend Google, especially), 3 ) my previous experience with Lenovo was positive and 4 ) I think I can squeeze a decade (or close to a decade) out of this particular machine, which justifies the price of upgrades I will make to it. But if I didn't place a feature like writing/annotating so high on my list, I would probably go with a completely different machine or even a different brand. For example, if writing ability wasn't a priority and a 10-13 hr battery life was, I might be leaning towards a Macbook instead. Or if price wasn't an issue but screen size, writing ability and the overall computer appearance was, maybe I'd be looking at Fujitsu.

I agree with the advice that has already been given. So my 2 cents is: figure out what features are deal-breakers for you and build from that. As soon as you figure out what matters the most to you (i.e tablet capabilities vs storage space vs battery life vs price etc), then condensing the list of possible machines will be much easier for you.

Does anyone know what are the differences (if any) between the Lenovo Flex and the Lenovo Flex 2? I found a good deal on a Flex with really good specs, but i'm afraid I am missing something.

Guys, what do you think of this one?

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-15-5548-laptop/pd?oc=fncwm2612sw7p&model_id=inspiron-15-5548-laptop

I want this for my parents, I`m an internationa student, I`m thinking to buy laptop for them so they could call me via Skype, so the primary purpose of a laptop will be Skype calls and also I want it to be endurable and long-lasting, I mean I do not want my parents have frequent problems with laptop and take it to service.

Also, I would like it to have good sound/speakers.

What would you recommend, guys? Is my choice ok?

Edited by virtua

Does anyone know what are the differences (if any) between the Lenovo Flex and the Lenovo Flex 2? I found a good deal on a Flex with really good specs, but i'm afraid I am missing something.

Don't know too much about differences, but a cursory search says battery life is a concern for the Flex 2 (manufacturer says 7 hrs, but tests say ~3 hrs) as well as weight for both is a bit hefty (or sturdy, if you'd prefer). For both laptops though, it seems the wireless card is rather weak.

If you're looking to compare a deal for the Lenovo Flex 2, try checking out this deal (and others on the site): 

http://slickdeals.net/f/7786555-lenovo-flex-2-touch-screen-laptop-i7-4510u-8gb-ddr3-500gb-hdd-8gb-sshd-14-1920x1080-led-touch-549-with-free-shipping?v=1

or:

http://slickdeals.net/f/7786583-lenovo-refurbished-flex-2-touchscreen-laptop-i5-4210-6gb-ddr3-15-6-1080p-led-500gb-375-or-1tb-402?v=1

Guys, what do you think of this one?

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-15-5548-laptop/pd?oc=fncwm2612sw7p&model_id=inspiron-15-5548-laptop

I want this for my parents, I`m an internationa student, I`m thinking to buy laptop for them so they could call me via Skype, so the primary purpose of a laptop will be Skype calls and also I want it to be endurable and long-lasting, I mean I do not want my parents have frequent problems with laptop and take it to service.

Also, I would like it to have good sound/speakers.

What would you recommend, guys? Is my choice ok?

If you only anticipate your parents using Skype, this is fine. It's a bit pricey for what you're getting, I would try to see if you can get a deal on this or a similar model.

I would recommend a chromebook for just day-to-day activities + Skype, as they are much cheaper (often <$200) and are long-lasting as well.

Don't know too much about differences, but a cursory search says battery life is a concern for the Flex 2 (manufacturer says 7 hrs, but tests say ~3 hrs) as well as weight for both is a bit hefty (or sturdy, if you'd prefer). For both laptops though, it seems the wireless card is rather weak.

If you're looking to compare a deal for the Lenovo Flex 2, try checking out this deal (and others on the site): 

http://slickdeals.net/f/7786555-lenovo-flex-2-touch-screen-laptop-i7-4510u-8gb-ddr3-500gb-hdd-8gb-sshd-14-1920x1080-led-touch-549-with-free-shipping?v=1

or:

http://slickdeals.net/f/7786583-lenovo-refurbished-flex-2-touchscreen-laptop-i5-4210-6gb-ddr3-15-6-1080p-led-500gb-375-or-1tb-402?v=1

If you only anticipate your parents using Skype, this is fine. It's a bit pricey for what you're getting, I would try to see if you can get a deal on this or a similar model.

I would recommend a chromebook for just day-to-day activities + Skype, as they are much cheaper (often <$200) and are long-lasting as well.

Chromebook doesn`t support skype

Chromebook doesn`t support skype

You're right it doesn't, but there are many alternatives as well as workarounds:

https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/3217430?hl=en

and

http://www.howtogeek.com/199857/how-to-use-skype-on-your-chromebook/

Not sure how tech savvy you are, but there are alternatives (such as Google Hangouts) that are supported fully on Chromebooks and are just as easy to use and helpful as Skype.

You're right it doesn't, but there are many alternatives as well as workarounds:

https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/3217430?hl=en

and

http://www.howtogeek.com/199857/how-to-use-skype-on-your-chromebook/

Not sure how tech savvy you are, but there are alternatives (such as Google Hangouts) that are supported fully on Chromebooks and are just as easy to use and helpful as Skype.

I am tech savvy, but my parents & relatives-not, so I will need Skype anyway. Though price is very appealing.

But I`m not sure about speakers quality & volume, are they loud enough?

Is what I`m thinking to buy ( http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-15-5548-laptop/pd?oc=fncwm2612sw7p&model_id=inspiron-15-5548-laptop) too overpriced?

Once again, I want a long lasting laptop with standard screen size, good speakers quality & volume, durable case.

Any other suggestions, guys?

Edited by virtua

I see. If they're already comfortable with Skype then most likely you're going to have to get a full laptop for them.

Yes the laptop you linked is overpriced. By a lot, in fact.

For instance, you could buy that same laptop and get a free TV for the exact same price:

http://dealnews.com/Dell-i5-Dual-16-Touch-Laptop-32-720-p-HDTV-for-700-free-shipping/1326700.html

As a rule of thumb, don't buy laptops directly from a manufacturer's website unless they're running some kind of deal (holidays, clearance, etc.) - they are often overpriced and carry hidden fees that don't show up until the final payment screen. Looking for deals on Google or buying from Amazon/Newegg is generally a better idea.

I'm thinking of getting a Surface 3 (not Surface Pro 3) for portable class/campus use and a desktop in my apartment (I don't like using laptops all the time...). The main reason I'm opting for a Surface 3 is that it's a 2-in-1. I've been used to using our 10.1" Galaxy Tab 2, and it's very convenient for ebook reading purposes (especially the college books I pirated...shhh don't tell anyone :D). In that case I should just get a normal Android tablet, right? I thought of that too, but with a 2-in-1, I get a tablet and a PC that I can use on campus whenever needed. So why do I need a desktop? Of course it's because the Surface 3 isn't powerful enough for everything, so I'm going to keep it for light use only.

Why not a Surface Pro 3 then? 1. It's too expensive. 2. While it could replace the desktop I'm planning to buy, but like I said, I'm not that fond of using laptops all the time. The keyboard is way too close to the screen, the screen is too small, it gets hot, not enough display brightness control, etc.

So...is it a wise decision?

I also don't like using a laptop all the time, but whenever I've gone with a light-use laptop and desktop for the rest, I've regretted it, and ended up upgrading my laptop (and thus spending more than if I'd just bought a nicer one to begin with). I plan to buy a monitor to plug my laptop into when I'm at home instead.

The idea of buying an inexpensive and portable laptop that you use for a limited amount of scenarios sounds good, but it has never worked for me. As MathCat states, I have also ended up upgrading laptops because I was unhappy with their performance. Today, the ability to expand your laptop is fairly inexpensive. You can buy a monitor and even a docking station with a keyboard for less than $300. That is significantly less than paying for laptop and a desktop. I would go that route. Laptop and docking station vs inexpensive laptop (or surface pro) and desktop. 

shini, you had my eyeballing a Surface 3 today. It is definitely tempting since you can get it with the type cover for $599 from Costco. That said, I'm leaning toward getting an ultrabook for my next computer. I've been trying out a Chromebook but, I'm frustrated by some of its limitations and will probably be returning it soon.

Thank you for your reply!

I'm simply afraid that I might get ingenuine laptop if I buy from amazon/ebay, originality is very important for me, because I think original one will last longer

SeanDDavies and MathCat give really good advice about docking stations + monitors vs. tablets (laptop replacements) in addition to a desktop.

With a docking station, your laptop functionally acts as a desktop while you're at home but is still powerful enough for all of your needs (except gaming, but that's a different story).

Thank you for your reply!
I'm simply afraid that I might get ingenuine laptop if I buy from amazon/ebay, originality is very important for me, because I think original one will last longer

I'm not sure if I understand this statement. Are you afraid you'll get something like a knock-off brand/generic brand from amazon/ebay/newegg? If so, I think you're misunderstanding how the system works. It's not like buying clothes or accessories. Now, if that statement was targeted towards refurbished machines, you're right there's an inherent risk, but generally speaking the lower price outweighs that risk.

When purchasing via Amazon you can check to see who the seller is. You can choose to purchase only from the manufacturers, and/or trusted vendors, or go with vendors with good reputation. This should protect you against purchasing knock-offs. 

This site here: http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/hp-spectre-x360-13t

compares both HP Spectre x360 and the Lenovo Yoga 3 with Macbook Air and Dell XPS (as well as category average). Further below the charts is a detailed explanation of these rankings.

A cursory reading suggests that the Spectre > Yoga 3 due to longer battery life, more powerful processor, and ease of use. Try looking around for deals, but definitely don't pay >$1000 for either one.