Fall 2016 Admissions Cycle

Guest SIPA_MPA18

Applied to MPA-ESP( Environmental Science and Policy). Very pleasantly received an online admission letter with $5K on 25th Jan, a very fast response as I had applied on the fellowship deadline of 15th January. Even the snail mail arrived in india at my residence today. The alacrity is tilting me towards this program. Have not seen anyone else applying to this program this year on the forums. Anyone?

Hey all, let's try to get some more public policy phd's on here. I recently submitted applications to 7 schools, and am glad to see I'm not alone if having not heard anything back yet.

Here's my stats:

Undergrad: Top 40 American private research university, had a rough time, 2.87 GPA in an English Major.

Graduate: >100 ranked NASPAA Accredited MPA Program with a 4.0 GPA.

GRE: 155 Q 170 V 5.0 AW.

I also have taken the following supplementary courses with a 3.85 GPA: Calculus 1-3, Discrete Math, Linear Algebra, Probability and Statistics 1, Intermediate Microeconomics, Intermediate Macroeconomics, Econometrics. Courses in Progress: Probability and Statistics 2, Differential Equations and Real Analysis.

I also won an $800 research award to support an independent quantitative research project in education policy.

I have tutored for 3 semesters, including 1 semester as a math tutor at 10 hours per week.

3.5 years work experience in non-profit sector (urban education) including 1 year Americorps VISTA.

I applied to the following programs:

Deadline Jan 15: Cornell Policy Analysis and Management, SUNY Albany Public Administration and Policy, UMD College Park Policy Studies.

Deadline Feb 1: Syracuse Public Administration, Syracuse Social Sciences, Syracuse Economics, SUNY Buffalo Economics.

Will post back when we hear things. Remember, there are many options besides academia!

On 2/7/2016 at 2:17 AM, publicaffairsstudent said:

Hey all, let's try to get some more public policy phd's on here. I recently submitted applications to 7 schools, and am glad to see I'm not alone if having not heard anything back yet.

Here's my stats:

Undergrad: Top 40 American private research university, had a rough time, 2.87 GPA in an English Major.

Graduate: >100 ranked NASPAA Accredited MPA Program with a 4.0 GPA.

GRE: 155 Q 170 V 5.0 AW.

I also have taken the following supplementary courses with a 3.85 GPA: Calculus 1-3, Discrete Math, Linear Algebra, Probability and Statistics 1, Intermediate Microeconomics, Intermediate Macroeconomics, Econometrics. Courses in Progress: Probability and Statistics 2, Differential Equations and Real Analysis.

I also won an $800 research award to support an independent quantitative research project in education policy.

I have tutored for 3 semesters, including 1 semester as a math tutor at 10 hours per week.

3.5 years work experience in non-profit sector (urban education) including 1 year Americorps VISTA.

I applied to the following programs:

Deadline Jan 15: Cornell Policy Analysis and Management, SUNY Albany Public Administration and Policy, UMD College Park Policy Studies.

Deadline Feb 1: Syracuse Public Administration, Syracuse Social Sciences, Syracuse Economics, SUNY Buffalo Economics.

Will post back when we hear things. Remember, there are many options besides academia!

Are you applying to PhD polsci programs with public policy/admin specialization? I am. If not, they why?

On 2/7/2016 at 2:17 AM, publicaffairsstudent said:

Totally agree. Pubic affairs/admin/policy is far more broad in focus than pol sci as far as job market goes. What is in your mind when you say so, it would be interesting to learn new perspectives. My interests are multi-lateral institutions, state and country level watchdogs and regulatory boards, international aid and development like CIDA, OXFAM, Transparency international and such. And i find objective focused research to me more interesting than theoretical research anyway. So, over to you. 

9 hours ago, yasir8959 said:

Are you applying to PhD polsci programs with public policy/admin specialization? I am. If not, they why?

No. My interests are related to economics and econometrics, not political science. I have very little poli sci experience and am focused on quantitative research.

7 minutes ago, publicaffairsstudent said:
9 hours ago, yasir8959 said:

Totally agree. Pubic affairs/admin/policy is far more broad in focus than pol sci as far as job market goes. What is in your mind when you say so, it would be interesting to learn new perspectives. My interests are multi-lateral institutions, state and country level watchdogs and regulatory boards, international aid and development like CIDA, OXFAM, Transparency international and such. And i find objective focused research to me more interesting than theoretical research anyway. So, over to you. 

I've taken so many math and statistics courses as I've prepared to apply that it's opened up a whole new world of job opportunities I feel. There are some really exciting things going on out there for people who are comfortable with research methods and statistics. Fields such as data science and traditional consulting and financr roles are becoming more research intensive and industries like the technology sector are employing huge numbers of data analysts and other quantitative researchers. So there might be a learning curve and value in taking a few more math courses to pursue these roles, but there are a lot of exciting options right now for people interested in quantitative research.

Made an account just to share my excitement! Applied to three programs and today received an acceptance into the UCLA MPP program!! Waiting on USC and LSE now but I can't believe my luck! Not much of a quantitative background here so I was unsure if I'd get in but it's such a relief to finally know at least one. 

@ TheHoepfulGrad: Congratulations to USC admission, this a very quick turnaround. USC must really like your application. When did you submit yr application and do you have to wait until March for scholarship decision?

@ Kasbah: Well done on LBJ, it is a great programme and it bodes well for you.

17 minutes ago, CakeTea said:

@ TheHoepfulGrad: Congratulations to USC admission, this a very quick turnaround. USC must really like your application. When did you submit yr application and do you have to wait until March for scholarship decision?

@ Kasbah: Well done on LBJ, it is a great programme and it bodes well for you.

Wait, no I haven't gotten a decision yet, I was just asking about the results page.

Heard from UCLA's MPP program yesterday. Accepted! No information on funding, but I don't think that's available quite yet.

Still waiting on MPP admissions from HKS, Berkeley Goldman, Duke Sanford, Georgetown McCourt, and Chicago Harris, as well as MBA admissions from Berkeley Haas, UCLA Anderson, and Georgetown McDonough.

Obviously still waiting, but it feels good to get that first acceptance. I know I'm going SOMEWHERE!

On 12/23/2015 at 11:42 AM, beefmaster said:

Go with the Peace Corps, grad school isn't going anywhere. Take a few years to get some full time experience, work out your career goals, and of course earn some cash to pay for school. I applied right out of undergrad and I am VERY happy I didn't up any of the offers I received. A few years relevant work experience has allowed me to clearly define my career goals and what I want to get out of grad school. Anyway, just my opinion / experience, good luck whatever you decide. 

Hi. Sorry to interrupt, but I completely agree with "beefmaster" about the benefits of having some work experience.  I see it from the teaching side, though.  There's so much more we can do in a classroom when students bring real-world experience to the table.  Discussions are deeper and more textured.  I've taught courses with a mix of "experienced" grad students and Harvard undergraduates.  No doubt that the undergraduates are bright - but they're rarely in the same league with slightly older students who went to good colleges and *then* went on to TFA, the Hill, or a non-profit.  Remember - policy schools are putting together an "ecosystem" of students - and we want to populate our classes with a vigorous blend of different types of backgrounds and strengths - and most schools *really* want applicants to have real-world experience.  

17 minutes ago, David_King said:

Hi. Sorry to interrupt, but I completely agree with "beefmaster" about the benefits of having some work experience.  I see it from the teaching side, though.  There's so much more we can do in a classroom when students bring real-world experience to the table.  Discussions are deeper and more textured.  I've taught courses with a mix of "experienced" grad students and Harvard undergraduates.  No doubt that the undergraduates are bright - but they're rarely in the same league with slightly older students who went to good colleges and *then* went on to TFA, the Hill, or a non-profit.  Remember - policy schools are putting together an "ecosystem" of students - and we want to populate our classes with a vigorous blend of different types of backgrounds and strengths - and most schools *really* want applicants to have real-world experience.  

Hi David

What would say about PhD policy/Admin admissions. Does experience weigh in favorably there as well? The point in my mind is, quantitative aspect and research methodology is repetitively fresh in your mind but after experience for say couple of years, you have to start all over again. What do you say about that? 

2 hours ago, sfe510 said:

Applied to mainly MPP programs and so far have heard back from USC MPP (accepted with funding)

Now I'm impatiently waiting for a few others but especially UCLA and Berkeley...

Exact opposite here... Waiting for USC MPA (rather impatiently) and just got accepted into UCLA MPP. Best of luck to you!

At this point, I'm (failing to) wait patiently for news from LBJ and Harris, since I've already heard back from the social work programs at those universities. I haven't received any news from Michigan on either application, so that would be nice too. March 1 through 12 should be a busy time for my email inbox.

Edited by RCtheSS