Fall 2016 Admissions Cycle

Guest SIPA_MPA18

Hello 

Can somebody inform if PhD public administration decisions of American university are out yet or not. No info regarding the same on results survey page, however, PhD political science and PhD Justice & Law admissions are out which are also dealt by SPA.

6 hours ago, hina234 said:

Has anyone heard from UMD yet? 

No. I appied there. I am in contact with Sally Helms- their doctoral program coordinator. The blizzard delayed their consideration process this year. It started on 22-Feb. Expect to listen from them in between mid to late march. 

Did you apply for masters there or PhD? I am talking about Maryland-Baltimore county not college park!

Edited by yasir8959
Confused about university name.

5 hours ago, yasir8959 said:

No. I appied there. I am in contact with Sally Helms- their doctoral program coordinator. The blizzard delayed their consideration process this year. It started on 22-Feb. Expect to listen from them in between mid to late march. 

Did you apply for masters there or PhD? I am talking about Maryland-Baltimore county not college park!

Oh, that makes sense. And no, I applied for the MPP program in College Park. Good luck!

I also applied to the MPP program at UMD-College Park. Do we know when we can expect to hear something/has anyone spoken with admissions staff?

1 hour ago, quietman said:

Congrats ss!

Thanks quietman! Now the wait for the scarier results which for me include Harvard, Princeton, SAIS, SIPA and Fletcher :)

Got accepted to the MIA program at UCSD. :). I was worried about quant being an issue, but I guess not!  Nice to have the first notification be an acceptance!  

On 3/1/2016 at 0:06 PM, ajollycossack said:

Accepted to Chicago CIR! Anyone else here? 

Congratulations! I was accepted yesterday as well. 

Still awaiting a decision from MIT, but I'll more than likely be leaving Fletcher and attending CIR. 

5 hours ago, ss312 said:

Thanks quietman! Now the wait for the scarier results which for me include Harvard, Princeton, SAIS, SIPA and Fletcher :)

I've got a few of those scary results upcoming too...best of luck to you :)

Edited by quietman

Anyone want to claim that UMD mpp result?  I get so nervous/paranoid when I see results pop up for schools I'm waiting for.  Additionally, apologies for ending the previous sentence with a preposition and also, I'm a long time lurker, finally making an appearance on the board!

9 hours ago, sfe510 said:

@ss312 Congrats! Did they email you? Or update your application portal? I'm still waiting on a decision from them...

@sfe510 They emailed. I think they are releasing rolling decisions as my friend heard from them a few days before I did, which stressed me out, only to hear from them yesterday.

For anyone else wondering about Minnesota Humphrey: I called up their admissions department today just to make sure my application wasn't lost in the e-mail or something. They told me that they're hoping to have their acceptances sent out by the end of March. Could be a long wait!

I didn't ask if that would delay their funding decisions (they've previously said they're due on March 16th), but I would assume so.

Edited by aslabchu

@MPP 2016

Hello:

I am also a veteran with eight years military intelligence experiences including special operation. I also applied SIPA and the only concern I have is my low GRE score; 151 V and 149Q. I took the test with disability I incurred during deployment. My undergrad GPA is 3.61 and my current grad school GPA is 3.42. My LOR,  SOP, and resume are very strong. Do you think SIPA will reject me based on GRE scores? I also speak, read, and write fluent in Chinese mandarin. Thank you for your time. 

Edited by Transitioning Military Off

Hi Everyone. MPP decisions for University of Maryland, as I see from everyone here, as well as from based on my own current experience, are not out yet. I believe it is extremely likely that we will know shortly, with other decision deadlines approaching. I have so far been accepted into:

1.) CMU Heinz College- MSPPM DC Track

2.) GW Trachtenberg- MPA

3.) George Mason- MPA

4.) American- MPA

Only funding offered so far has been from CMU Heinz. Currently living in DC till may. Likely will be going with Heinz, waiting to hear about other funding and UMD before accepting though! 

This week should hopefully be full of decisions. Harris MPP is slated to release Round One decisions on Friday, and rumor has it Ford MPP will release news sometime this week. 

On 3/5/2016 at 0:35 AM, Transitioning Military Off said:

@MPP 2016

Hello:

I am also a veteran with eight years military intelligence experiences including special operation. I also applied SIPA and the only concern I have is my low GRE score; 151 V and 149Q. I took the test with disability I incurred during deployment. My undergrad GPA is 3.61 and my current grad school GPA is 3.42. My LOR,  SOP, and resume are very strong. Do you think SIPA will reject me based on GRE scores? I also speak, read, and write fluent in Chinese mandarin. Thank you for your time. 

I would say your chances are strong as SIPA has more international students and has a bit more of an international focus. The Weatherhead Institute is one of the best centers for Asian Studies and having Mandarin is a big plus. I got into SIPA with similar GRE scores so I wouldn't sweat it.