Fall 2016 Admissions Cycle

Guest SIPA_MPA18

With limited exceptions, as others said, many schools will want to see some sort of work experience.  Take two years and do something public service related in the field where you eventually hope to end up then reapply.  Not only will you be a better candidate, you will also have more to contribute to class discussions. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I got in SIPA, Tufts Fletcher and SAIS (year in Europe and a year in DC) and I am extremely excited! Still waiting for funding results etc though.

If the financial costs of SIPA, Fletcher and SAIS end up being more or less equal, which is the better school of the 3? I aspire to work at a UN agency (UNHCR hopefully)...and I am an international student so not biased towards any particular state within the US...

Can anybody assist with this please? Thanks in advance!

Zaksh, each school has its strengths and weaknesses. There has been a lot of discussion on this forum regarding your question in the past years so feel free to dig up some of those threads. I've certainly found them helpful throughout the application process.

5 hours ago, Zaksh said:

Hi, I got in SIPA, Tufts Fletcher and SAIS (year in Europe and a year in DC) and I am extremely excited! Still waiting for funding results etc though.

If the financial costs of SIPA, Fletcher and SAIS end up being more or less equal, which is the better school of the 3? I aspire to work at a UN agency (UNHCR hopefully)...and I am an international student so not biased towards any particular state within the US...

Can anybody assist with this please? Thanks in advance!

The better out of the 3 would be the one that best helps you land a job at a UN agency and I think you sort of answered your own question there. I'd say SIPA's relative proximity to the UN, UN specialization, and UN Student Working Group seem like a pretty good fit. 

10 hours ago, Pichichi said:

The better out of the 3 would be the one that best helps you land a job at a UN agency and I think you sort of answered your own question there. I'd say SIPA's relative proximity to the UN, UN specialization, and UN Student Working Group seem like a pretty good fit. 

The UNHCR HQ is in Geneva, if your dream is to work there it might be worth putting in an application to the Graduate Institute in Geneva.

However if I am honest, it does not really matter what school you go to. I have worked as a UNHCR implementing partner for the past 5 years and only met a couple of people who went to SIPA (no more than any other school in fact....)

On the MPP side, I have one application left to submit: UChicago Harris, due this Friday.

I plan to have all dual degree materials submitted by Friday so I can stop thinking about graduate school until the first week of March. 

Guest SIPA_MPA18
4 hours ago, RCtheSS said:

aaaand my MPP apps are complete! I look forward to obsessively checking email, admissions sites and the GradCafe results page with you all over the next few months.

Congrats! It's such a great feeling to finally hit Submit, but now the waiting / anxiety begins. Best of luck to you!

On 1/8/2016 at 9:45 AM, RCtheSS said:

aaaand my MPP apps are complete! I look forward to obsessively checking email, admissions sites and the GradCafe results page with you all over the next few months.

I'm almost there. I need to do one more fellowship essay and I'll be good until I hear back at the end of February. Ah!!!

On 1/16/2016 at 1:04 AM, TheHopefulGrad said:

Finished all my applications and just patiently waiting for responses! I can't be the only one who checks their email (and spam) at least 5 times a day haha. Best of luck to everyone!

We basically applied to the same places. Good luck!

Anyone else not a fan of waiting (though I did recieve a nice Fulbright rejection today, which kind of makes me worry about my other results)?

I hope we all have the admissions outcomes we desire!

Edited by quietman

ATTN: Anyone who applied to masters' programs at Washington Evans and/or Minnesota Humphrey! These two schools have posted dates for their admitted students' visitation events.

Washington Evans (April 1 or April 8, 2016)http://evans.uw.edu/prospective-students/register-mpa-admitted-student-open-house

Minnesota Humphrey (April 2 or April 9 2016): https://www.hhh.umn.edu/admissions/admitted-student-info 

Hope this is helpful for others who planned to make campus visits. I haven't heard back from either program yet, but it's better to know ahead of time for potentially travel plans.

Just received an email from Minnesota Humphrey about a fellowship opportunity to apply for, with this leading paragraph:

"We hope that your winter is going well. In the Office of Admissions, we are reading applications and admission decisions will begin to be sent out no later than next week for applicants who applied by the December 15th deadline, with decisions beginning to be sent in mid-February for those who applied by the January 15 deadline."

SOON.

Does anyone have any information on interviews being held for PhD applicants? I applied to Political Science and Public Policy/Admin PhD programs and have heard about schools doing some interviews for Political Science...

Hi, a bit late in the day. Do we have our own results survey page? I have been trailing on political science cycle 2016 page. Just found this page. Feels like home. 

I am applying for PhD in public policy/Government/Pubic Admin cum affairs doctoral programs. 

1. International Aid/Development/Governance

2. Havent narrowed down, applying to 16-17 programs

3. Used filters like test scores and prior research preference for universities and skipped universities very high on them because my strengths are econ, psychology undergrad, business admin masters and 6 years at central banking in banking policy and regulation. (No research or previous study background in pol sci). And GRE coz I am 156 Q, 161 V & 4.0 AWA. 107 TOEFL. 

Hope I can join the party...fairly belatedly. I'm applying for a mid-career MPA/MPP, from the UK. Owing to the eye-watering cost I am anxiously awaiting the outcome of my UK to US Fulbright interview. I got a lovely message today from Fletcher - anyone else heard from them? I've also applied to Princeton and SAIS. I have one or two more applications left to do - UC Berkeley and possibly USC Price. I am super tempted by Columbia but the fact that their mid-career option is 18 months and the likelihood that there will be practically no funding is putting me off somewhat... 

Good luck to all the applicants - I didn't expect to get so emotionally invested but the waiting is stressful!