Social Psychology

shai

No I didn't get to see either. Baumeister/Tice are in California and I'm not sure about Ericsson. That would have been cool though

I applied to work with Tice. Her still being in California gives me a little hope...

I applied to work with Tice. Her still being in California gives me a little hope...

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it didn't sound like Tice was taking any students this year. Although she and Baumeister have a joint lab, he already accepted one student and was possibly taking another (who was at the Interview Weekend). I am not saying that all hope should be lost, but I got the impression that she won't be adding to the lab. They already have 10 graduate students so it would be surprising if they added even more. Good luck though...

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it didn't sound like Tice was taking any students this year. Although she and Baumeister have a joint lab, he already accepted one student and was possibly taking another (who was at the Interview Weekend). I am not saying that all hope should be lost, but I got the impression that she won't be adding to the lab. They already have 10 graduate students so it would be surprising if they added even more. Good luck though...

Hate to be adding insult to injury, but I emailed Tice last year and she said she isn't taking students. Hey, at least this is a less painful way to find out than getting a rejection letter out of the blue. At least you now know it has nothing to do with you or your credentials. Or so I hope...

Edited by Anita

When I e-mailed her early last fall she told me to apply which is why I did. She was upfront with me about her coming back from her sabbatical and her being unsure about the financial issues but she told me to apply anyways. I knew it was a long shot.

When I e-mailed her early last fall she told me to apply which is why I did. She was upfront with me about her coming back from her sabbatical and her being unsure about the financial issues but she told me to apply anyways. I knew it was a long shot.

I'm confused- Tice/Baumeister are in California?

@Jlloyd87: Well, that's good news! I received their little confirmation email last week and wasn't too worried yet. That being said, did she happen to mention whether or not they were offering an interview weekend? Of course, with over 10,000 view to this thread, I bet we're not the only ones applying to DePaul.;)

Anyone applying to Tulane?

I applied to Tulane, I had a phone interview last week and recently got an email saying I had been wait listed for an in-person interview.

I've been waitlisted at University of Kansas. They said they wanted a class of 3-4. They sent out 10 offers of admission and then created an alternate list.

Letter dated 2/12/10

I got that same letter about being wait listed and it seems like several others on here did as well, did they actually reject anyone?

Congrats!! What is your top choice school?

Thanks!! As of right now it is probably UNL, though I received a late night acceptance from John Jay two days ago, so I am waiting for them to finalize the financial package and see if it changes anything. Both of those programs have been my #1 & 2 interchangeably since the beginning, so I know I will be happy with either smile.gif .

If anyone is wondering, according to the grad secretary, the adcomm at Miami University (OH) met last week and are starting to notify applicants this week.

Does anyone have any information about Indiana, or Iowa State?

Thanks!! As of right now it is probably UNL, though I received a late night acceptance from John Jay two days ago, so I am waiting for them to finalize the financial package and see if it changes anything. Both of those programs have been my #1 & 2 interchangeably since the beginning, so I know I will be happy with either smile.gif .

Do you have any idea how many people UNL accepted? I have been told I am next in line on the waiting list, not really sure how good that is considering I don't really know how many applicants they plan to accept, the chances that they will accept anyone from the waiting list, etc. I was on the waiting list a 2 different universities last year and neither ended up accepting anyone from the waiting list...

Do you have any idea how many people UNL accepted? I have been told I am next in line on the waiting list, not really sure how good that is considering I don't really know how many applicants they plan to accept, the chances that they will accept anyone from the waiting list, etc. I was on the waiting list a 2 different universities last year and neither ended up accepting anyone from the waiting list...

I am honestly not sure, though I do know that they told me the sooner the better for a decision so they could accept people off the waitlist. And I promise I am trying to figure it out as fast as I feel comfortable. Who is your POI at UNL?

I am honestly not sure, though I do know that they told me the sooner the better for a decision so they could accept people off the waitlist. And I promise I am trying to figure it out as fast as I feel comfortable. Who is your POI at UNL?

Thanks for the info, I know they are encouraging people to respond quickly but it sounds like you should take your time to decide which program is the best fit, especially considering you are trying to decide between your two top schools. My POI is Dr. Wiener, I guess that is another thing I hadn't thought about, I don't know if the waiting list would be for the program or for Dr. Wiener's lab specifically...if it is the latter that would obviously reduce my chances so I hope isn't. How about you, who is your POI?

I'm confused- Tice/Baumeister are in California?

Did you know they're married? Not that it's relevant or anything, but I always enjoy a fun fact. It wouldn't inform what they're doing in Cali, but it might explain why they're both in Cali.

Did you know they're married? Not that it's relevant or anything, but I always enjoy a fun fact. It wouldn't inform what they're doing in Cali, but it might explain why they're both in Cali.

That is fun trivia. I just thought they were at Florida...what school now?

Ha! I knew it! They do so much brilliant intellectuallizing together, it's only fitting that they should be married. Kind of like the Pierre and Marie Curie of American psychology, however corny that might be :lol:

It's kind of weird, we have NINE faculty couples in my department and most of them have joint labs and collaborate on research. My mentor is married to the chair of the department, so I get to enjoy a few perks from that smile.gif

And I think I heard that Tice/Baumister are on sabbatical

What a small world!! We have NINE faculty couples in my department as well. And yeah, I think I mentioned they were on sabbatical. What school do you go to?