Social Psychology

shai

• 2 weeks later...

jeff schimel, at alberta. i'm actually looking to stay in the northeastern region of the U.S. myself, but thanks for the suggestion.

unfortunately i'm really limiting myself with that, but i have a few great options over here that i know of so far.

jeff schimel, at alberta. i'm actually looking to stay in the northeastern region of the U.S. myself, but thanks for the suggestion.

unfortunately i'm really limiting myself with that, but i have a few great options over here that i know of so far.

While its the exact opposite of northeastern, University of Arizona has Jeff Greenberg for terror management theory. That's all I can help about social psych, though I could tell you more about U of A psychology!

• 1 month later...

if by field you mean what my research interests are, then i'm looking to study terror management theory, religion, atheist stereotypes/prejudices, etc.

That sounds exactly the kind of work that two grad students (and I think a honors thesis student?) I know at Rutgers University have done. They both have worked under Lee Jussim and (I think) one also worked for David Wilder. You might want to look for them.

That sounds exactly the kind of work that two grad students (and I think a honors thesis student?) I know at Rutgers University have done. They both have worked under Lee Jussim and (I think) one also worked for David Wilder. You might want to look for them.

Absolutely. I've met and generally been in contact with Lee Jussim, and my undergraduate thesis advisor is a former grad student of his. In fact, I think she might've been the one to introduce Terror Management Theory to him, if I'm not mistaken. Needless to say, Rutgers is one of my top two choices. Dan Ogilvie is also very much into TMT/religion at Rutgers, so he's even higher on my list in terms of who to work with at RU.

Thanks for the suggestion.

• 4 weeks later...

where are you applying? and what types of prejudice/stereotypes are you interested in?

I'm limiting myself to the Midwest for family reason, so I'm applying to Penn State, Purdue, Michigan State, Miami (Oh), Indiana, Iowa State, Wayne State, and Loyola Chicago. I'm interested in implicit/explict attitudes, intergroup relations, stereotype threat, and the application of prejudice into real life situations.

Close relationships, motivation, positive psychology.

MSU, UNC Chapel Hill, UMich, U Missouri at Columbia, Northwestern, SUNY Buffalo.

@ all: how come nobody has mentioned Jamie Arndt at UMO? He's pretty influential among TMT researchers.

On 12/8/2009 at 1:47 AM, wolfentinus said:

applying to programs in social neuroscience as well as programs focusing on social identities :)

i'm applying to social neuro programs and the like also:

penn state

uga

columbia

berkeley

uva

u chicago

nyu

ucla

washu

texas

Also applying to social psych programs, one school for organizational psychology, another in the research area of the effects of emotions on decision making.

emotion and decision making! im into that too! i heard flordia is good for emotion reserach

im into moral cognition though & philosophy! ahhh i love it.

im into moral cognition though & philosophy! ahhh i love it.

Neat! I study morality too, although definitely more on the psych side than the philosophy side. No doubt I will be seeing you at conferences fairly soon (:

• 3 weeks later...

Close relationships, motivation, positive psychology.

MSU, UNC Chapel Hill, UMich, U Missouri at Columbia, Northwestern, SUNY Buffalo.

@ all: how come nobody has mentioned Jamie Arndt at UMO? He's pretty influential among TMT researchers.

I'm also interested in close relationships. Anything specific yet?

Edited by jlloyd87

I'm also interested in close relationships. Anything specific yet?

Are you applying this year too? I emailed a LOT of professors, and 3 offered to meet me at the SPSP conference this Jan 29 in Las Vegas. IDK if it's too late to sign up, but if you can, try and do that - looks like all the big names will be there! And we can meet up, maybe? :)

Btw, I didn't sign up for the main conference because it's so friggin' expensive ($200 or thereabouts). I did sign up for the Close Relationships preconference though, which is a lot more affordable ($70 - still sucky but at least something I can fork over on my own). As long as I get to meet the bigwigs, it doesn't matter, I figure.

Are you applying this year too? I emailed a LOT of professors, and 3 offered to meet me at the SPSP conference this Jan 29 in Las Vegas. IDK if it's too late to sign up, but if you can, try and do that - looks like all the big names will be there! And we can meet up, maybe? :)

Btw, I didn't sign up for the main conference because it's so friggin' expensive ($200 or thereabouts). I did sign up for the Close Relationships preconference though, which is a lot more affordable ($70 - still sucky but at least something I can fork over on my own). As long as I get to meet the bigwigs, it doesn't matter, I figure.

I actually thought about going to SPSP since my advisor was going, but I would be the only person other than him that is going so it would have been too expensive for the trip alone. That is really lucky though!!!

Where all are you applying? I notice the $1500 thing so I guess about 30? I am only applying to six.

Really? I thought being from Texas, you'd be really close to the conference site. Maybe $200 or so for the flight, and then find someone on couchsurfing.com to stay with? I think I have enough frequent flyer miles to get a free flight (and I'm in Mass.!) and if I find someone on couchsurfing to stay with, accommodation will be free, so I'll spend virtually nothing other than registration fees. Also, I heard from a conference organizer who shall remain unnamed (per their request) that they don't check badges for the main event talks, only the poster sessions because there's food there :D So you don't even need to sign up for the main event to attend it. Taken together, it seems sooooo worth it, because there are so many big names there.

I'm actually applying to 15 schools. Why do you think 30? Each school has an average app fee of $70, and with GRE score reports it comes out to around $90 per school. I also ended up not applying to some schools I sent scores to (silly me). I actually tallied it all up and turned out I spent $1300, not 1500. Guess I should fix that signature :D

Are you applying to work w/ Prof. Pietromonaco at UMass? She's a real sweetheart! What about TAMU, Paul Eastwick I would guess?

Edited by Anita

I had never heard of couchsurfing.com, but I am going to have to check that out. Maybe just go for fun (especially if they don't check badges for the main talks...).

I thought you were talking about the application fees alone. I didn't know that you were counting GRE fees (outrageous) and all that. My adviser suggested 20, but that is just too much to pay when a majority of them would probably just say no.

Yeah! Dr. Pietromonaco. I have emailed back and forth with her and she is great. Plus, she is working on a long project that sounds really interesting. I just really don't know if I have what it takes to get into the program. The website says the prof typically gives interviews if requested. I just don't know if that is true. I have emailed Dr. Eastwick, but he told me that he is not sure if he is taking any students so in my statement I put both Dr. Eastwick and Dr. Rholes as my hopefuls. I would prefer Eastwick, but Rholes is accepting one student for sure. I looked at Michigan State, but quit after the prof I was talking to said that a 1300+ was preferred. I am close to that, but it still scared me off.

Just bought my free flight to Las Vegas! Here's a tip to make your trip almost free: apply for one of those airline credit cards that give you 25000 bonus miles. That's just enough for one flight. See here for a list of credit cards, instructions and all that jazz. That's the blog that started all my almost-free traveling (I learned about couchsurfing from it too :D)

Yeah, the early marriage project? Man, that's some serious money. Do you have more specific research interests? The closest I get to a specific interest is stability of attachment styles and the interaction of autonomy and relatedness needs in CRs.

Who's the Mich State person? As I recall, it has something called a relationship lab, but when I emailed Debby Kashy (sp?), who runs it, she said it's not her area of expertise.

Edited by Anita