Social Psychology

shai

To all UMass hopefuls: I write with bad news. I met the aforementioned prof today at SPSP and she confirmed that the dept isn't taking anyone. Her lab took on a postdoc, which means the money that would have gone to a new grad student now goes to him. Plus, she only just found out she's going on sabbatical. So, if anyone had been worrying that it was just a way to shake them off her back (*cough* jlloyd87 *cough*), you now have the dubious pleasure of knowing it had nothing to do with your credentials. Woohoo!

Let's all switch to economics and bring this economy around, and then we'll talk about social psyc.

lol Thanks Anita. Yeah I did worry about that, but when it comes to this kind of stuff I always think worst case scenario... I guess now I can expect my consolation prize: a rejection letter. :)

The news concerning UMass is really annoying... It would be a different story if they decided not to take anyone because none of the applicants seemed suitable for admission (a highly unlikely scenario). However, taking everyone's application fees and then not admitting anyone because of funding seems like a crime!

By chance is the psychology of peace and violence program, which is affiliated with the social program, included in this apparent zero admission situation?

The news concerning UMass is really annoying... It would be a different story if they decided not to take anyone because none of the applicants seemed suitable for admission (a highly unlikely scenario). However, taking everyone's application fees and then not admitting anyone because of funding seems like a crime!

By chance is the psychology of peace and violence program, which is affiliated with the social program, included in this apparent zero admission situation?

Agreed. They must have known about this problem earlier.

The peace & violence program, which I applied to as well, appears to be just a subdepartment of social psych. department - I was rechecking this after seeing the news from Anita. One prof I contacted there also mentioned budget constraints (mind you, this was a week before the deadline), but not how serious the issue was for the department of social psychology. She said she wouldn't be taking any students, but nothing about the complete lack of funds for anybody.:angry:

If it helps with the sleep at all, remember SPSP is going on now, so your POI might have been preoccupied with getting ready for the conference.

... at least, that's what I am using to keep myself calm while I wait to hear back from profs I know will be there. (And how do I know they will there? Creepy internet stalking, of course! http://www.spspmeeti...g/attendees.php )

9 out 12 POIs I used for my application are there. This makes me feel tons better, thanks!

This is off topic in terms of admissions news, but I thought it might interest some people on here since I know we have several members interested in close relationships: Caryl Rusbult

Sad news and a major loss to the field.

Edited by jordy

U Mass. - Amherst Update: I recently spoke with the dept. secretary who confirmed the social psychology area is currently reviewing applications. The secretary was not aware of any budget circumstances that would prevent the area from accepting new graduate students.

Well it came straight from the mouth of my (and others) POI that they won't be accepting so I have already crossed Amherst, MA as one of my potential future homes.

U Mass. - Amherst Update: I recently spoke with the dept. secretary who confirmed the social psychology area is currently reviewing applications. The secretary was not aware of any budget circumstances that would prevent the area from accepting new graduate students.

Well that is definitely a big relief! Thank you for checking with the dept and letting us know!

Is the person with the K-State interview around anywhere? I was wondering who you wanted to work with.

I received an email yestereday afternoon to K-State's psychology interview weekend (Feb. 19 -20); applied to work with M. Barnett and B. McDaniel.

I received an email yestereday afternoon to K-State's psychology interview weekend (Feb. 19 -20); applied to work with M. Barnett and B. McDaniel.

Crap. Those were the people I applied to work with. Don't take it personally, but I pretty much hate you. Thanks for letting me know though.

Crap. Those were the people I applied to work with. Don't take it personally, but I pretty much hate you. Thanks for letting me know though.

Oh I don't take it personal at all. When I saw your post and username, I figured that those two faculty members might be who you had applied to work with at K-State. I'm interested in morality as well, so it looks like we have a few more schools/advisors to compete for... Would I be correct in assuming that you applied to Cornell to work with D. Pizarro and UIC to work with L. Skitka?

Hey, who knows, perhaps we will collaborate some day!

Oh I don't take it personal at all. When I saw your post and username, I figured that those two faculty members might be who you had applied to work with at K-State. I'm interested in morality as well, so it looks like we have a few more schools/advisors to compete for... Would I be correct in assuming that you applied to Cornell to work with D. Pizarro and UIC to work with L. Skitka?

Hey, who knows, perhaps we will collaborate some day!

Yes, you would be correct. Any word from either of them?

And I would not be opposed to collaborating with you someday--apparently you have interesting interests =)

Yes, you would be correct. Any word from either of them?

And I would not be opposed to collaborating with you someday--apparently you have interesting interests =)

Nope, no word as of yet. I'm hoping that will change before March arrives, but this process seems to be so random at times.

After this is all said and done (admissions that is), we will have to let each other know where we are heading to and who we are working with for grad school. It never hurts to know the people that share your interests!

On the Cornell website, it did say that people would typically be notified by the end of January regarding the recruitment weekend. But I don't think I've seen any social people getting anything yet. So fingers crossed for everyone.

JSocial86 - by the way, have you heard anything from UBC yet?

Edited by Jadie

On the Cornell website, it did say that people would typically be notified by the end of January regarding the recruitment weekend. But I don't think I've seen any social people getting anything yet. So fingers crossed for everyone.

JSocial86 - by the way, have you heard anything from UBC yet?

Nope, nothing from UBC. Having a Jan. 15th deadline and an internationally known program, I bet they still have a lot of applications to go through before we hear any news.

Nope, nothing from UBC. Having a Jan. 15th deadline and an internationally known program, I bet they still have a lot of applications to go through before we hear any news.

Yah. I submitted my application pretty early though, so I thought maybe they'd start looking early or something :P.

Who are your POIs there, if you don't mind me asking?

Nope, no word as of yet. I'm hoping that will change before March arrives, but this process seems to be so random at times.

After this is all said and done (admissions that is), we will have to let each other know where we are heading to and who we are working with for grad school. It never hurts to know the people that share your interests!

are you a moral researcher!!

did you apply at ubc to work with a prof who does moral exemplars by any chance?

You too, JSocial? Wow, that's a lot of morality folks applying this year!

are you a moral researcher!!

did you apply at ubc to work with a prof who does moral exemplars by any chance?

Sure am!

I think Larry Walker researches moral development at UBC, but no, I didn't apply to work with anyone who focuses on morality at UBC. I'm primarily interested in the work of Ara Norenzayan and Joseph Henrich, who study religion as a social and evolutionary phenomenon. However, some of Norenzayan's recent work examines moral judgment and prosocial behavior as it relates to religious ideology.