Social Psychology

shai

So on the UMASS webpage they said that non-clinical applicants can request an interview by contacting the professor directly so I did. I won't divulge any names, but I got a response back saying that most of the social faculty has decided to not take students b/c of budget concerns...

The professor was really nice and very helpful when I would email back and forth, but this was kind of frustrating. I would have accepted a "No I am not taking students" when I first emailed months ago. That would have at least saved me the app fee. So if there is anybody else applying to UMASS, I don't know if this is really true. Unfortunately I won't be going there. :(

Edited by jlloyd87

So on the UMASS webpage they said that non-clinical applicants can request an interview by contacting the professor directly so I did. I won't divulge any names, but I got a response back saying that most of the social faculty has decided to not take students b/c of budget concerns...

The professor was really nice and very helpful when I would email back and forth, but this was kind of frustrating. I would have accepted a "No I am not taking students" when I first emailed months ago. That would have at least saved me the app fee. So if there is anybody else applying to UMASS, I don't know if this is really true. Unfortunately I won't be going there. :(

Ouch! I applied to their social program too.:o

yeah I mean I understand that they don't typically know until the beginning of the year about budget, but it's still frustrating...

@viola: I don't know how far this goes (or if it is even true for that matter), but I would definitely check it out. It is kind of a weight lifted knowing that a decision has been made.

yeah I really doubt she would just tell me that to get me off her back. I guess it helps knowing that I was probably not going to be attending UMASS in the fall in the first place.

I doubt that too. Like you said, it's usually that they don't know their funding situation (or something changes), but in these uncertain times I wish they would just say they would "like to if possible" not that they "can", or something.

I doubt that too. Like you said, it's usually that they don't know their funding situation (or something changes), but in these uncertain times I wish they would just say they would "like to if possible" not that they "can", or something.

I agree. We are all aware of the funding situation, I'd rather that they are as honest as possible. Even something along the lines of "hoping to take students" is better than saying that they "will be" and then having to take it back.

REFUND! I DEMAND MY REFUND!

Seriously, if they can't take anyone that's one thing, and I can live with that, but if they'd promised to take someone, resulting in me investing $100 and lots of effort in them, and then go back on their own word, that's extremely inconsiderate. I can live with not being accepted, but I'd appreciate being offered a refund or some sort of compensation. Even an apology will do.

But then, that's just the naive, idealistic, wishful, fairness-obsessed child in me who's still in denial that the world is a rotten place.

I emailed the people at NYU to ask whether invites have been sent out yet and this was their reply:

The date for interviews has not been settled on yet. Applicants who are invited to interview will be informed of the day at that time.

an anonymous source told me that nyu profs started reviewing apps today.

Any other news out there? I'm still fishing for details about Kansas since apparently 2 people on the results board got interviews.

My adviser graduated from Kansas in 2009 and he was kind of surprised when I told him that they were already sending out interview invitations. I would think that would mean that you probably have some more time before you start to panic.

My adviser graduated from Kansas in 2009 and he was kind of surprised when I told him that they were already sending out interview invitations. I would think that would mean that you probably have some more time before you start to panic.

OK, thanks for that! I guess there's a possibility it was just one prof. sending emails and not my POI...? I'm going with that for now. Whatever helps me sleep, right? ;)

OK, thanks for that! I guess there's a possibility it was just one prof. sending emails and not my POI...? I'm going with that for now. Whatever helps me sleep, right? ;)

If it helps with the sleep at all, remember SPSP is going on now, so your POI might have been preoccupied with getting ready for the conference.

... at least, that's what I am using to keep myself calm while I wait to hear back from profs I know will be there. (And how do I know they will there? Creepy internet stalking, of course! http://www.spspmeeting.org/attendees.php )

Edited by repatriate

If it helps with the sleep at all, remember SPSP is going on now, so your POI might have been preoccupied with getting ready for the conference.

... at least, that's what I am using to keep myself calm while I wait to hear back from profs I know will be there. (And how do I know they will there? Creepy internet stalking, of course! http://www.spspmeeting.org/attendees.php )

You just made my day!! I saw some professors who I am wanting to work with in the attendees section! haha Made me feel better even though I know they will reject me

... at least, that's what I am using to keep myself calm while I wait to hear back from profs I know will be there. (And how do I know they will there? Creepy internet stalking, of course! http://www.spspmeeti...g/attendees.php )

Good point- I have been keeping that in mind. Also, I am so glad I'm not the only one who stalked this list! Haha I feel way less creepy now. :P

Also on that note, I know of a couple people in my department who are definitely going but aren't on that list, so there may be some hope for those who don't see their POIs up there.

Edited by jordy

Good point- I have been keeping that in mind. Also, I am so glad I'm not the only one who stalked this list! Haha I feel way less creepy now. :P

Also on that note, I know of a couple people in my department who are definitely going but aren't on that list, so there may be some hope for those who don't see their POIs up there.

If googling us is fair game, I don't see why checking out their conference participation wouldn't be. And I guess you could check out if they are presenting anything at the symposia; that way, you can get an idea of what their most recent research topics are.

Dissonance reduced!!

To all UMass hopefuls: I write with bad news. I met the aforementioned prof today at SPSP and she confirmed that the dept isn't taking anyone. Her lab took on a postdoc, which means the money that would have gone to a new grad student now goes to him. Plus, she only just found out she's going on sabbatical. So, if anyone had been worrying that it was just a way to shake them off her back (*cough* jlloyd87 *cough*), you now have the dubious pleasure of knowing it had nothing to do with your credentials. Woohoo!

Let's all switch to economics and bring this economy around, and then we'll talk about social psyc.