Social Psychology

shai

I keep considering getting one of those cards, but I always worry about some how screwing it up. I really wanted to especially before I go to grad school. My adviser said it wouldn't be worth the money invested. Who knows.

Well it isn't too focused yet, but I am interested in early marriage emotions and impact on the health of the marriage. From what I understand, Dr. Pietromonaco is also working with the marriages and seeing if cancer can effect the health of the relationship and of the other person. It would be a dream to get on that project. You wouldn't happen to know the qualifications that UMASS is typically looking for would you??

Dr. Richard Lucas. He is a social prof at Mich State. All the work that I had read from him was dealing with divorce (which is another interest of mine).

I keep considering getting one of those cards, but I always worry about some how screwing it up. I really wanted to especially before I go to grad school. My adviser said it wouldn't be worth the money invested. Who knows.

Well it isn't too focused yet, but I am interested in early marriage emotions and impact on the health of the marriage. From what I understand, Dr. Pietromonaco is also working with the marriages and seeing if cancer can effect the health of the relationship and of the other person. It would be a dream to get on that project. You wouldn't happen to know the qualifications that UMASS is typically looking for would you??

Dr. Richard Lucas. He is a social prof at Mich State. All the work that I had read from him was dealing with divorce (which is another interest of mine).

I have one that doesn't have an annual fee (the AmEx one) and got a free hotel stay out of it, and one that has a $90 fee (waived for first year) that I just used to score my flight and will cancel soon :D

Meh, UMass used to have a page with admission stats, but I can't find it anymore. I seem to recall admitted GPA avg. is 3.5, but am not sure about GREs. Something like 1250 to 1300. Don't sweat it; the overwhelming response from most people is that GRE matters far less than GPA. This pagemay be helpful too.

I'm applying to work w/ Lucas too! I didn't know he does CR though. Was going for his positive psychology work. How come you're not applying to Purdue and Stony Brook? They're like hotbeds of CR research right now.

I have one that doesn't have an annual fee (the AmEx one) and got a free hotel stay out of it, and one that has a $90 fee (waived for first year) that I just used to score my flight and will cancel soon :D

Meh, UMass used to have a page with admission stats, but I can't find it anymore. I seem to recall admitted GPA avg. is 3.5, but am not sure about GREs. Something like 1250 to 1300. Don't sweat it; the overwhelming response from most people is that GRE matters far less than GPA. This pagemay be helpful too.

I'm applying to work w/ Lucas too! I didn't know he does CR though. Was going for his positive psychology work. How come you're not applying to Purdue and Stony Brook? They're like hotbeds of CR research right now.

yeah I should probably get one soon. I am just scared of the infamous credit card stories.

It says on the UMASS web page that since I am applying to a non-clinical concentration then I can request an interview with Dr. Pietromonaco. I just don't know if that really applies still and if so how do I go about sending that email... I'll figure it out I guess.

It doesn't say close relationships on his research interests, but he has a few articles about divorce and when I talked to him I only told him that I am interested in close relationships. I guess I just never really at Stony Brook, but by the time I had looked at Purdue it was after their deadline was long passed. Speaking of deadlines... I cannot believe they are already here. I am so ready to hear SOMETHING. I feel like I have been waiting for far longer than I have. I should start hearing word back from schools within the month!!!

Hm...Lucas never wrote back to me when I emailed him. I wonder if I said something wrong :|

I'm just going to wait for Paula to review my app. We already know each other, so I'm sure she won't be shy if she wants to interview me :D

The first time I emailed him he responded, but when I asked for some advice he never said anything. I don't know. Maybe he just gets alot of emails from students and doesn't reply to all??

You are applying to work with Dr. Pietromonaco too?? Well I hope she is looking for more than one student or I would have no chance. :)

I'm into moral decision making, forgiveness, and perceptions of fairness (as well as how emotions affect all of those things and tangentially, psych and law). I applied to Cornell, Yale, WashU, University of Illinois Chicago, University of New Hampshire, and Kansas State. I haven't heard anything back yet.

On 1/14/2010 at 1:57 PM, moralresearcher said:

I'm into moral decision making, forgiveness, and perceptions of fairness (as well as how emotions affect all of those things and tangentially, psych and law). I applied to Cornell, Yale, WashU, University of Illinois Chicago, University of New Hampshire, and Kansas State. I haven't heard anything back yet.

I really wanted to apply to UIC, but it was more that I wanted to live in Chicago. They didn't have anybody studying close relationships. Yeah I still haven't heard anything. Pretty anxious to say the least...

I really wanted to apply to UIC, but it was more that I wanted to live in Chicago. They didn't have anybody studying close relationships. Yeah I still haven't heard anything. Pretty anxious to say the least...

Haha I wish that I wanted to live in Chicago... I'm interested in the city itself, but I'm not looking forward to the weather (if I get in). In fact, I gave up all hope of liking the place I live when I started trying to find potential advisors and realized they all live in the snow and work at schools that are incredibly difficult to get into.

I know it's still really early, but the fact that others are hearing back from some of my programs is starting to really freak me out, but I'm trying really hard to remember that it is still REALLY early (the redundancy is a bi-product of the waiting-induced crazy).

@viola: Who are you interested in working with at Amherst? I want to work with Dr. Pietromonaco, but Amherst is definitely a reach school for me.

@moralresearcher: I haven't been to Chicago during the winter. I applied to DePaul and weather is my biggest worry. I am from Texas and I don't know what snow really is.

I've looked at the results page and saw that last year results for the schools that I am looking at ranged from beginning of Feb all the way to Apr 28, but for the most part results came in the beginning of March.

@viola: Who are you interested in working with at Amherst? I want to work with Dr. Pietromonaco, but Amherst is definitely a reach school for me.

@moralresearcher: I haven't been to Chicago during the winter. I applied to DePaul and weather is my biggest worry. I am from Texas and I don't know what snow really is.

I've looked at the results page and saw that last year results for the schools that I am looking at ranged from beginning of Feb all the way to Apr 28, but for the most part results came in the beginning of March.

I'm interested in working within peace and violence group, a couple of profs, but not Dr. Pietromonaco.

Yes, it does appear that social psych. results come a bit later, especially compared to clinical psychology. Since the deadlines for clinical and other subfields are about one month apart, this is probably what we can expect with news too.

I'm into moral decision making, forgiveness, and perceptions of fairness (as well as how emotions affect all of those things and tangentially, psych and law). I applied to Cornell, Yale, UC Davis, University of Illinois Chicago, University of New Hampshire, and Kansas State. I haven't heard anything back yet.

Who are you wanting to work with at UIC?

I'm interested in working within peace and violence group, a couple of profs, but not Dr. Pietromonaco.

Yes, it does appear that social psych. results come a bit later, especially compared to clinical psychology. Since the deadlines for clinical and other subfields are about one month apart, this is probably what we can expect with news too.

I was really interested in looking deeper into the UMASS peace and violence program (especially since that is non-existent in Texas), but the work that Dr. Pietromonaco does was way too interesting to pass on.

I know it's still really early, but the fact that others are hearing back from some of my programs is starting to really freak me out, but I'm trying really hard to remember that it is still REALLY early (the redundancy is a bi-product of the waiting-induced crazy).

Ditto. I'm such a defeatist, I see some psychology interviews going on at schools I applied to (not sure if it's even social psych), and I am now assuming I got rejected, which is WAY jumping to conclusions. (Admittedly I'm not really confident of my chances at those programs anyway, so it wouldn't be a huge surprise).

Ditto. I'm such a defeatist, I see some psychology interviews going on at schools I applied to (not sure if it's even social psych), and I am now assuming I got rejected, which is WAY jumping to conclusions. (Admittedly I'm not really confident of my chances at those programs anyway, so it wouldn't be a huge surprise).

I'm the same way. My advisor, mother, best friend, and pretty much everyone else I know keep telling me to chill out, but I don't think they realize how stressful this process is (well, my advisor does, but it's been a while for him... and I don't think he's as high-strung as I am). I figure I should really stick to the and wait to freak out until at least Valentine's day, but time seems to be passing slower and slower every day (it doesn't help that I had a 6 week (SIX!) winter break with nothing to do but obsess). Only time will tell if the worry was warranted. And even if it was, I'm not positive it's worth it (what do I get from worrying except worry lines?), but that doesn't really help me not to worry. Oh well, cest la vie, I suppose.

I'm the same way. My advisor, mother, best friend, and pretty much everyone else I know keep telling me to chill out, but I don't think they realize how stressful this process is (well, my advisor does, but it's been a while for him... and I don't think he's as high-strung as I am). I figure I should really stick to the and wait to freak out until at least Valentine's day, but time seems to be passing slower and slower every day (it doesn't help that I had a 6 week (SIX!) winter break with nothing to do but obsess). Only time will tell if the worry was warranted. And even if it was, I'm not positive it's worth it (what do I get from worrying except worry lines?), but that doesn't really help me not to worry. Oh well, cest la vie, I suppose.

I am extremely anxious about this entire process. It's just hard to think that I am just supposed to sit here and wait for months while these schools review applications. I understand that it really does take a long time, but that doesn't make it any easier.

I am extremely anxious about this entire process. It's just hard to think that I am just supposed to sit here and wait for months while these schools review applications. I understand that it really does take a long time, but that doesn't make it any easier.

Ugh, I know. And while I'm glad to have found this site so I can at least plan a window for my freak-outs, sometimes I half-wish that I hadn't because I end up having the results page open in a tab all day and hitting refresh every 5 minutes!

I think we all need a drink. Or a massage. Or a nice, long coma that can only be broken by a phone call from a POI offering admission to our favorite program.

A girl can dream. :P

Edited by jordy

Ugh, I know. And while I'm glad to have found this site so I can at least plan a window for my freak-outs, sometimes I half-wish that I hadn't because I end up having the results page open in a tab all day and hitting refresh every 5 minutes!

I think we all need a drink. Or a massage. Or a nice, long coma that can only be broken by a phone call from a POI offering admission to our favorite program.

A girl can dream. :P

lol well since the coma probably won't happen I will just stick with the drink.

A lot of my schools start reviewing this week... And after looking at the results page for the 1,000th time I've realized that February will be a roller coster month for me.

lol well since the coma probably won't happen I will just stick with the drink.

A lot of my schools start reviewing this week... And after looking at the results page for the 1,000th time I've realized that February will be a roller coster month for me.

A lot of mine seem to give out interview invites before SPSP for visit weekends in mid-Feb, so if I hear nothing by SPSP weekend I'm going to flip out!

Is it just me, or is every social psych program notifying applicants EXCEPT for the ones I applied to?

Ok, so maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration but I just want someone to acknowledge my existence (preferably with an interview/acceptance).

Is it just me, or is every social psych program notifying applicants EXCEPT for the ones I applied to?

Ok, so maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration but I just want someone to acknowledge my existence (preferably with an interview/acceptance).

Same! It's not just you. Every time I see Social/Personality Psychology on the results page I have an "AAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!" moment for the split second before I see it's not a program I applied to.

Yeah...I'm a little wound up lately...

Yeah I am pretty anxious about all this. Official word is that Texas and Tennessee start reviewing applications tomorrow. I am sure that A&M will be doing the same (if they haven't already started) and UMASS has been reviewing for weeks now. It's only a matter of weeks now before I start getting phone calls (I hope I get phone calls...). Also, I don't know if I have already said this, but I was trolling the results page (you know you do it too!) and it appears that most of the results that are positive happen in February. March wasn't completely bad, but not nearly as positive as February. The point that I got from this... I hope I get some news in February....

Yeah, I was looking at some of my programs that I am applying to ( Social, experimental, psych and law)and if you are invited for an interview or accepted you will know by the first week of Feb. If you havent heard by then, you are either rejected or on the wait list.

So does anyone know how long this process generally takes once they start meeting? Assuming profs come into the meeting with their top picks in hand and knowing how many students they have funding for? (not that every program does that, I just know that some do). Anyway, information anyone?