Social Psychology

shai

So does anyone know how long this process generally takes once they start meeting? Assuming profs come into the meeting with their top picks in hand and knowing how many students they have funding for? (not that every program does that, I just know that some do). Anyway, information anyone?

My data points: I got invited to 1 interview the day after the meeting, and 1 interview the day of the meeting (in fact, it was scheduled online from 11:00-1:00 and I got an email at about 12:30). Not sure about the timing of my third interview invite. So, at least in some cases, the process is pretty quick!

My data points: I got invited to 1 interview the day after the meeting, and 1 interview the day of the meeting (in fact, it was scheduled online from 11:00-1:00 and I got an email at about 12:30). Not sure about the timing of my third interview invite. So, at least in some cases, the process is pretty quick!

Wow, that is fast! Thanks for the data point - one is definitely better than none right now :D

*resumes intense staring at phone*

One school that I talked to said that it takes a week or so to meet. After the deadline each professor is given a list of students to look at. If it's a small dept, the whole list goes out and they ask the professors to look over them. I guess the first meeting is just talking points and they cut some people. I would guess they would meet later that week or the next week to talk about it more. I know at my university, all the big meetings happen on friday because there aren't that many classes.

I've heard some widely varying answers... One school has told me that they will start reviewing today (deadline was Jan 15) and I will hear something in a week or so (which I assume means next Friday but I am an extreme optimist) and then another school started reviewing Jan 1 and have quoted me around 6 weeks for any word. Honestly, that makes no sense to me to take so long, but that is how they like to do it.

Same! It's not just you. Every time I see Social/Personality Psychology on the results page I have an "AAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!" moment for the split second before I see it's not a program I applied to.

Yeah...I'm a little wound up lately...

Haha I have the same reaction, though instead of "AAAHHHHH" it's more that my heart skips a beat or two!

I am a masters student at UNCW and am interested in close relationships. I have already had an interview at Purdue with Dr. Ximena Arriaga. I had a phone interview yesterday with Dr. Edward Lemay at University of New Hampshire. ANd I was just invited to FSU's interview weekend working with Dr. Jon Maner

So I am not presenting at SPSP this year but was thinking of going. Of course to see the presentations... and possibly network/influence. Though this feels like adirty approach. Anyone else considering this?

I thought about it really hard, but my adviser said it wouldn't be worth the money if you can't put something on your vita. He said that more than likely if you do see anybody you are interested in working with they will only have a few minutes in between prior engagements that they probably have. Don't take that as a reason not to go though. I was still going to go, but it's just really expensive with flight and hotel...

Edited by jlloyd87

Yep. It's close for me (a few hours drive) but a tough call. If I don't hear anything before that date, I'll probably go. Plus a couple deadlines are after the conference- so I assume decisions are still in process.

Who are you interested in at DePaul? PM if you like. :)

Edited by a.arcane

I'm going even though I'm not presenting...just to get out there and show my face. It is a bit different for me, though, since people will probably remember me marginally better than a prospective student, given that they can associate me with my program -- and since I met a bunch of people through interviews last year.

I didn't go last year, but I get the sense that the networking possibilities might have helped a bit. However, it might not be worth a plane ticket and a hotel room, if you are coming from far away. If it's driving distance, seems like it could be a good idea. If you've had any contact with your POIs so far, I'd think it could be appropriate to email them and ask whether they or their collaborators will be giving any talks or posters.

I would really like to go. My adviser said that grad students from programs will all go together, but my school doesn't have a grad social program so my adviser is the only person from my department going.

On a side note: A&M grad coordinator has told me that the department would start contacting people in a little over two weeks.

On the results page somebody has said that they have already sent out the one acceptance letter for the year. I don't know any details but apparently they were only taking one person...

i just saw that. didn't get any news about interview at all

wow... just wow, if the news is true

So UNC-CH is out. Mich State is out. WUSTL, it seems, is out too. Northwestern seems to have put me on a waiting list. UMich is, of course, out. FML.

On 1/25/2010 at 2:11 PM, jlloyd87 said:

Well if you got an interview at Purdue then I think you will have no problem getting into A&M... Fingers crossed for two positions open.

Not necessarily. I know a guy who got into Stanford but not some lower-ranked schools.

Soooooo, who got that interview for University of Kansas? And who was your POI? I saw it on the board but it's been all quiet on the western front over here.

Hehe, puns. :lol:

Edited by jordy

@Anita - completely empathize.

Also, I did this last year as well and was wait listed a couple of places (including Kansas)! Lately, I've spent a fair amount of time imagining all the things I could have bought instead of applying to graduate school.

Roughly:

-A trip to India for three weeks, including Taj Mahal and floating down the Ganges

- 3-4 substandard cellos, or one nice one

- two banjos signed by Steve Martin

- A Vespa

- 400 boxes of Fleur del Sel caramels from Trader Joe's

-5600 fifty cent bouncy balls from the vending machines

Crossing my fingers for this year (two apps not due yet!)