98 days...

mkm2119

I don't know about all of you but now that I've accepted a program and found an apartment I am ready to go already! Sure, I still have to finish my thesis and graduate, but those are just details.

Are any of you impatient to start your next chapter/adventure too? What are you most looking forward to?

Definitely! I think I'm going to go through a bit of nostalgia when I officially leave my current school, but I'm excited to meet the other people in my program and get to know my new school more!

That, and the actual research, of course  :P

I am definitely in that boat! I graduated in December and have been working in a 9-5 office job, while living at home to save some money. It's torture.

I'm most looking forward to moving into my own space and throwing myself back into the academic environment. It's a general statement, but the 9-5 life is soul-sucking to me, I miss having assignments and reading and learning, interacting with other like minds, things like that. 

I'm both excited and a little scared, just because I'm not ready to leave behind the social circles I built here nor am I ready to return to living like a student off of a grad stipend. Excited to dive deeper into the research side of what I do, and to open up different possibilities (doing international work, pursuing a PhD, etc.) for myself though! It's a weird feeling.

I have a count down app on my tablet...111 days for me.  But I will turn in my resignation to focus completely on bringing my math skills up to par in 9-11 weeks.  I am really excited, but also dreading it.  So much work! And living off a grad stipend isn't going to be fun.  I'm lucky that my school is in the town I live in now, so I don't have to leave my friends behind.

And now that work has calmed down and I'm off the Project of Doom, I'm kind of sad about leaving my job.  Between now and then I still have some on-site audits and other things I have to do that should be fun. And I love the people. I will go back to my old project for five or six weeks, and my manager and senior manager there are like my work moms.  It is going to suck to tell them I'm leaving.

Like scarvesandcardigans, I don't like the 9-5 though, and can't imagine doing it forever.  It does seem soul sucking.  Like I'm stuck in a cage.  I was homeschooled by what would now be called "free range" parents too, so I'm used to a ridiculous amount of freedom.  And I'm happiest when I'm learning something new.  Even if it is math, which is my worst subject.  I can't do the 9-5 life forever.  I just can't. Sitting in a cube is boring.  I am really excited to be more in charge of my schedule, and being more independent, even if it does mean working a lot more.  I do best when it is all up to me.

I'm very excited! Fortunately I have a full-time GAship in the department that starts in late June, so I should get a chance to familiarize myself with the building and a lot of staff / faculty before I'm immersed in coursework etc. I was planning on taking a summer graduate course that starts on June 1st, but it looks like my funding doesn't kick in early enough to allow for that to happen without me paying out of pocket. But I may do it anyhow...

Can t wait to start! I have yet to get all the forms in order and find a place to live though. The prospects of doing it all seemed insurmontable just a month ago but I m adavncing steadily toward the desired goal. How did you manage to do it all so fast?? I m also trying to have my 9 to 5 job not suck too much energy out of me XD

Oh, I can't freaking WAIT.

I am trying to fill my time up with new clients (anyone need an editor?!!!) over the summer. And thank heavens I am getting married and honeymooning and moving during this time as well.

I've picked up a couple syllabi for classes I will be taking in the fall and have started picking up readings slowly. 

Also, I need to have reading proficiency in French to advance to PhD from Master's level, so I'm trying to teach myself French right now too.

Fill, fill, fill my brain... :D

I'm definitely ready to start. I took a year off between undergrad and grad school and this is the longest yet shortest year ever! Like some others mentioned I got a full-time 9-5 job right after graduating and it's been a crazy (but also rewarding) experience. It definitely made me appreciate the college life and classroom atmosphere. I have 3 months left before my program starts and I'm counting down almost every day. I'm most looking forward to not only being in a learning environment again, but being around more like-minded and open (hopefully) people in terms of career paths, ideologies, etc. More so interested in being in a new area as I'm moving from NorCal to SoCal. Should be interesting.  

For several weeks after I accepted an offer I was basically overcome with sheer terror.  After some time now I'm starting to move through the panic into more positive feelings.  At this rate I should excited to start by the time August rolls around!

I've been working for the past few years and I'm excited to get back into an academic setting.  I love being a student and being surrounded by people who are incredibly intelligent and also love to learn.  I also can't wait to have access to the university library and all that comes with that.  Small town rural community libraries just can't compete. 

I had a bad depressive episode on the 15th (apparently actually making a huge choice about the whole course of my life is seriously stressful!), but got over it relatively quickly. Now I'm super excited and also very apprehensive, especially about moving to the third (I believe) largest city in the US. Can't wait to get started in the lab, I'm really looking forward to working with my PI and the field.

110 days left. It feels like an eon but also so little time to get prepared.

Yeah, the decision moment (month in my case) was very emotionally drainig (although also one of the most awesome times of my life). It fwlt like being in love with several people at the same time! I almost stopped eating and slept very little.

I am ridiculously excited for grad school.  I’ve been out of college for 3 years now, and I’m more than ready to get back to studying.  I really miss the academic environment.  September cannot come quickly enough!

I was homeschooled by what would now be called "free range" parents too, so I'm used to a ridiculous amount of freedom.  And I'm happiest when I'm learning something new.  Even if it is math, which is my worst subject.  I can't do the 9-5 life forever.  I just can't. Sitting in a cube is boring.  I am really excited to be more in charge of my schedule, and being more independent, even if it does mean working a lot more.  I do best when it is all up to me.

Same here.  I was homeschooled too, and I function much better when I am allowed to be independent.  I hate being told exactly what to do and how to do it.  Also, I get bored very easily, so I need variety and constant intellectual stimulation. If I am not learning, I get restless. 

I also can't wait to have access to the university library and all that comes with that.  Small town rural community libraries just can't compete. 

I am SO excited to have access to awesome libraries.  I lived in a small town in the US after graduating, and now I live in a small town in Japan.  I'll be moving to London for grad school, so libraries definitely won't be an issue anymore :)

This is my emotional cycle.  First I'm super excited and can't wait for it to get here, then I'm like "why are you so excited? It's a huge pay cut and a lot of work, and you haven't been in school for a while, what if you aren't good at it?"  so then I become nervous/terrified. So then I try comforting myself by listing all the good things, such as afternoon naps and pushing towards my goals, so then I'm excited again and can't wait... back and forth this goes.

I'm in the process of deciding what few things I have room in a suitcase to bring. It's quite the challenge. 

I go between excitement and fear about moving across the country. But, it will be nice to reinvent myself.

I'm not at all nervous, and the fact I'm not at all nervous is making me anxious haha.

I'm also not at all nervous and I'm sort of wondering if there's something wrong with me because of it! I'm finishing my MS right now though and have a lot of research to get wrapped up and a paper that needs a ton of work before I go so I think I'm just so focused on what I need to done before I go so i haven't been able to shift my focus to actually going. I'm glad I'm so distracted otherwise i would probably be on a roller coaster of nervous/excited.

In many ways grad school to my life would be par for course; I have moved around the country and "started over" many times.  Grad school is definitely a next step; however the more I think about it the more I believe that grad school would be the closing of a chapter and not the beginning of a new one.  

As for moving, yeah, it can be scary.  The first time I did it I kept telling myself that I could always move back home if need be.  I knew that I would not do that but knowing that I had a "backup plan" kept me going when things got hard.  As corny as it sounds you just gotta take it one day at a time.  All you have to do is get through today and if you still want to leave tomorrow then so be it.  Next thing you know years will have past and you are still there. 

Moving is not a big deal to me at all. I have lived a fairly location independent lifestyle for about 6 years now. The thing that "worries" me is just wondering if I can get back to the same level I was at during my senior year of undergrad. I was killing it and knocked my honours thesis out of the park, but it also took a lot out of me. I know I'll have to do even better this time around and know how much work it's going to be. But whatever, it's just part of the process I guess. 

the more I think about it the more I believe that grad school would be the closing of a chapter and not the beginning of a new one.  

Interesting. Why is that? I feel completely otherwise: new school, new place, new friends... A different mode of working after the qualifying exams, too. Already the change between BA and MA was drastic with a major shift in attitude of others toward me, which I felt esp. strongly because it was all in the same university. But because it was the same school it kind of felt like a continuation. Although I have always treated every new place as an opportunity to change my approach to things, present myself in a new light. But now I think it will be all very new and different. To my mind of a historian this all looks like the timeline has new bracket opening with now closing bracket in sight :)  Or, if you will, the moment now is like the origin of a ray which I sure hope does not become a segment too soon :lol:

87 days now and I swear I'm going through an emotional roller coaster!

11 days ago I was jumping up and down waiting to be done with my MA and get to my new location already, this week I'm questioning my life choices. I think I'm freaking out because I move out of my apartment Friday, put all my stuff in storage, and move into an apartment I'm subleasing over the summer while I finish my thesis (also freaking out about that but that's a different story!). Something about packing up all of your belongings makes everything feel so real! It's making me wonder why I think I can do this at all - especially with all the stress I'm feeling from my thesis.

Thankfully, the rational side of my brain knows this will pass and that I'll be fine!