Fall 2017 MFA

kaiphi

@Beta Mike, thanks for the message of hope. Still waiting, waiting, and now camping! Part of my issue was finding places without need of GRE scores, it's been too long since i even looked at math...i might check out East Washington, Montana, oh who knows! Low residency still appeals but for needing scholarship. Good luck and have fun at NAU. Flagstaff right? 

@cccmmm charles simic is there which is pretty cool and Durham is a fantastic place to be--so close to the ocean and mountains! If you can get full funding that would be an amazing place to write.

Hi guys, 

hope everyone is doing OK in this stressful season.  

Do you know if all of NYU's admissions have gone out?  I've seen the many half tuitions and only 1 or 2 full-funding, which seemed to be international students?  I'm sure i'm grasping at straws here, but you guys seem to be very in the know. 

Thanks! 

13 hours ago, greatjones said:

Hi guys, 

hope everyone is doing OK in this stressful season.  

Do you know if all of NYU's admissions have gone out?  I've seen the many half tuitions and only 1 or 2 full-funding, which seemed to be international students?  I'm sure i'm grasping at straws here, but you guys seem to be very in the know. 

Thanks! 

Welcome!

I don't think anybody know's what's up with NYU (disclaimer - this is based on what I've seen on Draft; I didn't apply). From people who have been accepted and talked to faculty, it sounds like decisions have been finalized. However, people who have called into the admissions office have been told that they're still processing, and notices will go out until mid March. 

2 hours ago, manandcamel said:

Welcome!

I don't think anybody know's what's up with NYU (disclaimer - this is based on what I've seen on Draft; I didn't apply). From people who have been accepted and talked to faculty, it sounds like decisions have been finalized. However, people who have called into the admissions office have been told that they're still processing, and notices will go out until mid March. 

Doesn't sound too great for my chances.  Been a tough month! Thanks for the insight, though.  I'm kinda glad I didn't discover what Draft is until today.  Probably would have made this process a lot more involved than it needs to be.  Good luck everyone. 

For those who lurk / aren't on Draft, a current MFA candidate created a site on which people can anonymously post their negative impressions and experiences of specific MFA programs. The gist is that the site is a way to access what faculty won't tell you and what students think they can't. 

https://saywhatmfa.tumblr.com/

Edited by manandcamel

1 minute ago, aridari said:

And, draft news not up on gradcafe yet: u of oregon poetry acceptance over email today

I saw that, and am hoping that they've only started (and not completed) their notifications.

59 minutes ago, manandcamel said:

I saw that, and am hoping that they've only started (and not completed) their notifications.

Me too; I applied for fiction so I'm also hoping poetry and fiction don't notify at the same time. Which genre did you apply for?

On 7/30/2016 at 3:13 AM, writewritewrite said:

Hey all,
I'm planning to apply to schools this fall for an MFA in fiction. Would anyone who's been through this process be able to look over some stories and statement of purpose to give me some feedback? Much appreciated.

Join Draft workshop on Facebook, that will help

10 hours ago, aridari said:

Which genre did you apply for?

Poetry. According to that one acceptance, official notifications are supposed to go out next week. They wanted to set up a time to call him, though. Not sure if that's because he's a special case, or if they want to do so with all of their acceptances. Either way, I'm nervous.

15 hours ago, manandcamel said:

For those who lurk / aren't on Draft, a current MFA candidate created a site on which people can anonymously post their negative impressions and experiences of specific MFA programs. The gist is that the site is a way to access what faculty won't tell you and what students think they can't. 

https://saywhatmfa.tumblr.com/

Thanks for sharing! While researching programs to apply to, I discovered that there's also a Tumblr like this for LSU specifically

Hello all. Just wanted to stop in and introduce myself to the forum. I found the forum back in the Fall of '16 and told myself that it would be a good community to bond with while applications are being sent out and as the post-application doldrums roll through. Clearly I did not live up to my end of my bargain to join, contribute, and support earlier, so I hope to now, and in the future, be a courteous, helpful member to all.

I have enjoyed reading all the support between members in our successes and our failures. I think it's important to recognize the motivating factor that rejection can be. Success has never really motivated someone into doing great things, but failure always has. Remember that in our trying times. Stick together. Continue doing great things and success will eventually follow.

In stepping off my soapbox, I have received my first rejection letter - from Oregon State at Corvallis, a long shot in even the best case of scenarios.

But, I am still waiting to hear back from 7 other schools, including: University of British Columbia, University of California - Riverside, Chapman University, Columbia College Chicago, University of Guelph, Roosevelt University, and University of Victoria.

I look forward to reading more and more success stories as the acceptances begin rolling in. Until then!

@slouching I applied to LSU, mindful that it might be a good ol' faculty, but hopeful. Then I found that tumblr a month ago, and yikes. Did you end up applying? I'd have to have some long talks with the cohort to convince me it's not as bad as it sounds.

@tonydoesmovie welcome! I know I lurked a long time until I made an account. What I like most about TGC is that people here understand the burn out, stress, and nerves the application process creates. I don't think friends / family / nonMFA folk get how competitive and crushing it can be. Even if people aren't posting about that here, I know they understand.

@pdh12 !!!

I've heard about that good ol' boys stuff too with lsu. Regressive/unwoke/backwards writing faculties are a paradox. how do they write with screwed up tunnel vision!? the stories from students are way too common

Hi everyone!

I've noticed some more notifications rolling out from Rutgers Camden, though they've been for fiction. Does anyone have any information about their poetry admissions? I had an interview with them a few weeks ago that seemed to go well but I haven't heard anything since. I'm starting to think good news won't be coming at this point, alas. 

Got waitlisted at NYU today.  My first non-rejection.  All but guarantees that if I do get in I won't have funding coming my way, which means I won't go, but it's nice to hear something that isn't a door closing.  

Anyone rethinking their strategies for next year?  Any tips?