Fall 2017 MFA

kaiphi

Hello all,

I spent a lot of time on this forum four years ago when I was applying to MFA programs. I finished my MFA in last May and landed in a tenure-track job in the fall.  I guess that makes me an admissions committee member now, so I promise not to lurk here and eavesdrop on all of your application plans. However, having just gone through the process, I wanted to share a bit of what I learned. I can answer questions here, if you like, or you can contact me off-list at maryannaevans@yahoo.com.

In short, it looks like you're all following the advice that worked for me. Apply widely and to programs with varying admission rates. Research your target programs to make sure you're not missing an unusual requirement. (When I applied, some of my target programs wanted GREs, and some didn't. One wanted a critical paper. Some wanted me to learn two languages before i graduated.) Polish up your writing samples and get feedback from your fellow writers.

I graduated from the MFA program at Rutgers-Camden, which I recommend. The faculty are great and they're growing, having added another poet this year. They've just opened a Writer's House that is lovely. Many students are funded, though I think not all. Camden is right across the Delaware River from Philadelphia and its cultural opportunities, but I lived in Camden to save money and went to Philly for fun. Camden as a whole can be dangerous, but the area around the university is safe as cities go. I had a fairly long publication history in genre fiction when I started the program, but I wanted to study literary fiction and creative nonfiction, so I was essentially starting from zero. I can say without question that the MFA experience took my writing to a new level, and my editor agrees. With the publication history and the MFA, I went right to a tenure-track job. This is unusual for a recent MFA, but I can tell you that it is possible.

I'm now teaching at the University of Oklahoma in a graduate program that I've never seen mentioned in any of the creative writing groups, although it has been here for sixty years. It is not an MFA, but it is a Master of Professional Writing that focuses on genre fiction and commercial nonfiction. (Check it out, but know that our website is in the middle of a much-needed update.) Since many MFA programs are not open to writing intended for popular audiences, this is a good option for writers who have that as a goal. Some, but not all, of our students are funded. Others can generally find work on-campus or in the community. The cost of living in Norman, Oklahoma is very low. We do not currently get a flood of applications, although that could change. Being at an R1 school gives some amazing cultural advantages. In the year since I came here, we had traveling exhibits of a Shakespeare First Folio, a large collection of Renaissance books and artifacts related to Galileo, and a collection of sculptures that had never before left Rome's Capitoline Museum. Frankly, I love it here.

Good luck with all your applications. This is a stressful time, but it does pass.

• 4 weeks later...

My story:

I applied for MFA programs in fall 2009 -- during the Great Recession when the economy was exploding and everyone and their mother had gotten laid off. I applied to Michener, Iowa, Cornell, NYU, Johns Hopkins, Brown, and Irvine. I got into none of them. It doesn't seem like a huge surprise to me now, but at the time my recommenders were saying things like "you're a more mature writer than I was when I got into Iowa." For all the people who think numbers matter: my GPA was 3.91 from Berkeley and my GRE was in the 99th percentile. The numbers don't mean doodly squat. 

I was so devastated - not just from the rejections but from not being able to find any kind of job and also getting dumped by my then-boyfriend for my failures - that I got very, very ill and had to fly back and live at home for a while. 

Many, many, many formative life events happened after that. I worked as a reporter on Wall Street for several years. I toughened up. And I'm coming back to this now, applying for 16 programs instead of my foolish 7 from before. I'm still working on the writing sample. I want it to be perfect. And I have something to prove to myself about how far I've come. 

I'm debating whether to join that facebook group. It seems like a bad idea, and I don't want to absorb any noise that might make me fragile. I warmly wish everybody the very best of luck. They're not judging us, they're judging our applications!

Hey y'all,

Wow, I forgot about this topic!

Well, I'm a senior now and publishing more than ever. Finally started working on fiction and I even have a novel idea that I wanted to include in my Statement of Purpose

I'm not completely tethered to the idea of doing an MFA program straight out of uni, so if I don't get into my target schools I'll be okay.

But, it's finally application time and I feel ready(-ish) to take it on!

Now I'm just apply to Hopkins, Columbia, and maybe Rutgers. I want to either stay in the Baltimore-DC area to save money or move to NYC, which is where I'm planning to move after graduation. I have other job/internship/fellowship prospects in the city which is why I'm aiming so high now.

5 hours ago, Jetamio said:

My story:

I applied for MFA programs in fall 2009 -- during the Great Recession when the economy was exploding and everyone and their mother had gotten laid off. I applied to Michener, Iowa, Cornell, NYU, Johns Hopkins, Brown, and Irvine. I got into none of them. It doesn't seem like a huge surprise to me now, but at the time my recommenders were saying things like "you're a more mature writer than I was when I got into Iowa." For all the people who think numbers matter: my GPA was 3.91 from Berkeley and my GRE was in the 99th percentile. The numbers don't mean doodly squat. 

I was so devastated - not just from the rejections but from not being able to find any kind of job and also getting dumped by my then-boyfriend for my failures - that I got very, very ill and had to fly back and live at home for a while. 

Many, many, many formative life events happened after that. I worked as a reporter on Wall Street for several years. I toughened up. And I'm coming back to this now, applying for 16 programs instead of my foolish 7 from before. I'm still working on the writing sample. I want it to be perfect. And I have something to prove to myself about how far I've come. 

I'm debating whether to join that facebook group. It seems like a bad idea, and I don't want to absorb any noise that might make me fragile. I warmly wish everybody the very best of luck. They're not judging us, they're judging our applications!

Thank you for sharing this!!  It's a really good, human story. I hope you stay in touch on this forum to tell us how you progress---are you applying for fiction or poetry? Fully funded MFA programs are deeply competitive these days, and getting into the one you want has more to do with luck and alchemy, it seems...I was lucky to get into a couple programs in '15, when I first applied, but chose to pursue an MFA in translation first, feeling at the time that I wanted to strengthen my languages and critical writing. There's no point in regretting my choice, but I'm worried about not being able to replicate my acceptance results this year...16 programs is a lot, both of time and money! Do you have a preferred place?

On 10 septembre 2016 at 11:05 PM, slouching said:

I'll be applying in poetry as well. What programs are you looking at, @pdh12 (and everyone else)?

Oh, great, a comrade!  I'm trying not to over-shoot as far as quantity goes....I think I might limit my applications to 6, with my absolute preference being Boston (location, length, focus). I'm applying with an MFA in translation, so BU would be a dreeeeam. I'm also applying to Irvine and UMass Amherst. What are your top choices?

18 minutes ago, pdh12 said:

Thank you for sharing this!!  It's a really good, human story. I hope you stay in touch on this forum to tell us how you progress---are you applying for fiction or poetry? Fully funded MFA programs are deeply competitive these days, and getting into the one you want has more to do with luck and alchemy, it seems...I was lucky to get into a couple programs in '15, when I first applied, but chose to pursue an MFA in translation first, feeling at the time that I wanted to strengthen my languages and critical writing. There's no point in regretting my choice, but I'm worried about not being able to replicate my acceptance results this year...16 programs is a lot, both of time and money! Do you have a preferred place?

Fiction. The application volumes for fiction, for whatever reason, are particularly hideous :( . For example, one of the MFA programs, Syracuse, received 600 fiction applications and 177 poetry applications for 2015, though they only accept 6 of each. And my list seems long, but because all of them have acceptance rates like Syracuse, which is 1% for fiction - and they're not even considered one of the top 10 workshops in the country -- I could still very easily end up empty handed again. But... not focusing on that now... onward!!.. i guess.  

44 minutes ago, pdh12 said:

Oh, great, a comrade!  I'm trying not to over-shoot as far as quantity goes....I think I might limit my applications to 6, with my absolute preference being Boston (location, length, focus). I'm applying with an MFA in translation, so BU would be a dreeeeam. I'm also applying to Irvine and UMass Amherst. What are your top choices?

BU's program looks so cool, especially for someone who's interested in translation. Good luck!

I have a list of 15 programs at the moment...hoping to narrow it down a little, but I also want to apply as widely as I can. Definitely applying to Minnesota, UVA, UCSD, Brown, Cornell, Wisconsin, and Arizona; still figuring out what I want to do with the rest. 

6 hours ago, Jetamio said:

I've been trying to resist the Draft, too...I have enough anxiety as it is. Thanks for sharing your story!

Ha, yes, there's something less fraught about this website vs. draft! Wow @Jetamio, I've never seen the application rates parsed b/w fiction and poetry--that's a staggering difference!  I'm applying to Wisconsin and Brown in poetry, as well, @slouching. Full disclosure, I've applied to Brown twice before and rejected. Applying there almost feels like required masochism at this point. Maybe I should submit this: https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/this-statement-of-purpose-will-blow-your-mind

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently looking at the following schools:

Most Likely:

• University of Wisconsin, Madison -- Probably my top choice
  • Michener Center -- I will learn to spell this correctly this year
  • University of California, Irvine -- Based almost entirely on an email exchange I had with them last year and FOOLISH OPTIMISM 
  • University of Wyoming -- I love a lot of stuff about this program including the ability to double major
  • Northern Michigan -- At the very least I'll get to hang out in Marquette for two years
  • Rutgers-Newark -- Probably as close to a New York school as I will ever apply to

Somewhat Likely:

• Hollins
  • Arkansas
  • University of Massachusetts 

And then a list of like six other schools that fluctuates wildly. My goal is a minimum of ten but not really over twelve. 

My main concern so far has been to try and make sure I get a "variety" of schools. Don't know if I'm really doing that that well this year.

@GlowStick  Good luck! That sounds like a great variety--I'm really curious about Wyoming. It seems like a good program, but I'm weary of red states, and wonder what Laramie's like... I'm applying to four of the schools you list, too. So Stressful not knowing what this time next year is going to look like...the hardest part of this is putting a cap on how many schools to apply to.

I, too was intrigued by Wyoming's program, but decided against applying because I couldn't see myself living there. Also, finally narrowed down my list of schools, from fifteen...to fourteen, lol. It's kind of a lot, but I'm really hoping to only go through this process once. Since a few of them want the GRE, I put my contempt for the test aside and scheduled a test date...ugh. I'm interested in maybe applying to PhD programs later on, so I figure I'll have to take it eventually anyway. I am astoundingly bad at math, so any study tips for the quant section would be greatly appreciated.

14 must be a lucky number! That's what I got it narrowed down to as well---I took the gre in '13 and have just been using those results. My math was Bad, a score of 145 (20th percentile)-- that said, I was accepted into 2 phd programs and 3 mfas with that--I think it's the analytic and english portions they really care about. The analytic was hard for me because they said it was scored by a computer whose algorithms are programmed to look for specific things in your writing, and I found myself getting carried away with conventional essay structure...but I scored well on it, so maybe it's something to consider. Also brushing up on Latin roots for the vocab portion. Good luck!

Thanks! I'm trying not to worry about the GRE too much-- I feel like my time/energy is better spent on my writing sample and personal statement-- but I obviously would like to do as well as I can, too. Mostly just eager to get it over with at this point. 

Iowa! I'm finishing up my last year here--it's been really great, and my goal is to next go for an mfa in poetry and then (with luck) a PhD in Comp Lit~. I had been accepted to a few poetry mfa's in '15, but thought it would be better to solidify my foundation in languages/critical thinking first, I didn't realize though how hard it is to actually get accepted to poetry mfa's...I sometimes kick myself for the choice...UMass Amherst and Boston are my top choices b/c of proximity to loved ones (and they're great), but They're both Hella particular about their candidates, it feels like an alchemy puzzle.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all, jumping into say hello! I went through the PhD grad cycle in 2014-2015, then took a year off (i.e., did not apply fall 2015), but was lucky enough to get a job at NYU, which comes with tuition benefits. So I've made the decision to apply to the MFA in Fiction here. I'm pretty nervous about it, particularly with regards to the artists' statement and my portfolio, but Grad Cafe got me through the last cycle, so I am looking forward to commiserating again!

Got into NYU Poetry last year, but turned it down. Great program...with the chance of meeting Ocean Vuong, but very expensive. My advice: figure out if you'd go even without funding ahead of time. That way you're not shocked when you have to gather Brooklyn or New Jersey rent together, living expenses, and tuition. You don't want to turn it down in fear of debt and regret that decision. :wacko: 

I'm reapplying this year, but cannot seem to find LOR letter writers. Any advice?! 

Edited by 2ndChanceKid

Just now, 2ndChanceKid said:

Got into NYU Poetry last year, but turned it down. Great program...with the chance of meeting Ocean Vuong, but very expensive. My advice: figure out if you'd go even without funding ahead of time. That way you're not shocked when you have to gather Brooklyn or New Jersey rent together, living expenses, and tuition. You don't want to turn it down in fear of debt and regret that decision. :wacko: 

I'm reapplying this year, but cannot seem to find LOR letter writers. Any advice?! 

nyu! yes. I've heard people use colleagues, bosses, and friends for Lor's, with a focus on those that can speak to either your writing or work (ethic). And if they've never written a rec before, you could point them toward examples.

Edited by pdh12

On 10/28/2016 at 10:59 PM, pdh12 said:

@BLeonard Oh great! I'm applying there for Poetry (keeping my fingers crossed). What was your PhD in, and what's it like surviving (financially) as a student in NYC? Good luck!

@pdh12 I wasn't clear - I applied to a number of PhD programs, got into a program at Brandeis, but couldn't make the logistics work. So I took some time off, and am going to start the process again this winter and spring. The MFA at NYU is the first one with a deadline. 

• 4 weeks later...

I've applied to Stony Brook, Sarah Lawrence, and CalArts for creative nonfiction... Stony Brook is my "safety" school, since I currently attend there and (after some conversations with important people in the program) I'm confident about my chances of getting an offer there. But as for Sarah Lawrence and CalArts, I'm currently in full anxiety mode. D: