Fall 2017 MFA

kaiphi

I've been lurking on this thread for a while and decided to join. Glad to know everyone is as anxious as I am. I applied to 13 (!) schools, and this wait is awful. 

Does anybody know much about Western Michigan's program? I applied at my letter writer's suggestion. It's my lowest-ranked application and safety school (I know there's no such thing with MFAs, really) because there's very little information online about their MFA, funding, style, etcetera.

1 hour ago, manandcamel said:

Does anybody know much about Western Michigan's program? I applied at my letter writer's suggestion. It's my lowest-ranked application and safety school (I know there's no such thing with MFAs, really) because there's very little information online about their MFA, funding, style, etcetera.

No first-hand knowledge of this program, but have you joined the Facebook MFA Draft '17 group?  There is a person in the group who's attending WMU and who has been a fountain of useful information.

8 minutes ago, Hortense said:

No first-hand knowledge of this program, but have you joined the Facebook MFA Draft '17 group?  There is a person in the group who's attending WMU and who has been a fountain of useful information.

I haven't. I thought for a while about joining, but wasn't sure if it was worth the hype. I'll check it out.

Woah... Minnesota is already notifying?? I applied for fiction there as well as to UVA, VCU, and UNLV. I'm starting to feel that wasn't nearly enough schools, but my nerves can only take so much.
A friend of mine who applied to Mason recently got her acceptance letter. 

I applied to WUSTL, Syracuse, and Minnesota (among others) for poetry and haven't heard from any of them. Been super anxious all afternoon. I almost don't even mind the idea of getting rejected, just dying to hear something.

34 minutes ago, manandcamel said:

George Mason has started notifying poetry applicants. I received my acceptance letter via email this afternoon. 

Congrats!

6 minutes ago, slouching said:

I almost don't even mind the idea of getting rejected, just dying to hear something.

Exactly...it's not the decisions that are going to kill me (fully expecting to get rejected at most [or even all] places!) but the anxiety of waiting. I just need closure!

13 minutes ago, slouching said:

I applied to WUSTL, Syracuse, and Minnesota (among others) for poetry and haven't heard from any of them. Been super anxious all afternoon. I almost don't even mind the idea of getting rejected, just dying to hear something.

Congrats!

Thank you! I am thankful that GMU notified me so quickly--I didn't expect to hear from anyone until mid Feb. Still checking the rest of my applications like mad. 

23 minutes ago, ficpic89 said:

Exactly...it's not the decisions that are going to kill me (fully expecting to get rejected at most [or even all] places!) but the anxiety of waiting. I just need closure!

What I would give for some closure right about now. Whoever further up lamented only applying to four schools... don't worry, I only applied to two. (One of which is Minnesota, and I haven't heard a peep, so I can go ahead and cross them off my list.) Based on the "where I applied" lists I'm seeing in the Draft, I am definitely in the minority of folks that did not cast a wide net. That said, I'm amazed by these people with not just the $$$ to apply to 20 programs, but with recommenders willing to submit letters 20 times according to all different LOR formats and requirements. Kudos to them for pulling it together. I'd lose my mind.

18 minutes ago, badeyebrows said:

What I would give for some closure right about now. Whoever further up lamented only applying to four schools... don't worry, I only applied to two. (One of which is Minnesota, and I haven't heard a peep, so I can go ahead and cross them off my list.) Based on the "where I applied" lists I'm seeing in the Draft, I am definitely in the minority of folks that did not cast a wide net. That said, I'm amazed by these people with not just the $$$ to apply to 20 programs, but with recommenders willing to submit letters 20 times according to all different LOR formats and requirements. Kudos to them for pulling it together. I'd lose my mind.

Right. I don't have the money to spend on a gazillion college applications so I only applied to schools I really want to go to who are an overall good fit for me (program, funding, staff, location). The people writing my recommendations are very busy people-- one of them is currently on book tour. I don't know how I would bring myself to ask them to submit 20 different letters in different formats to different schools when I'm not organized enough to remember where I left my keys.

Good luck on Minnesota! I applied for fiction. Keeping my fingers crossed. 

8 minutes ago, Chickenrun said:

Right. I don't have the money to spend on a gazillion college applications so I only applied to schools I really want to go to who are an overall good fit for me (program, funding, staff, location). The people writing my recommendations are very busy people-- one of them is currently on book tour. I don't know how I would bring myself to ask them to submit 20 different letters in different formats to different schools when I'm not organized enough to remember where I left my keys.

Good luck on Minnesota! I applied for fiction. Keeping my fingers crossed. 

Good luck to you too! Maybe there's hope yet. Nonfiction over here.

2 hours ago, ficpic89 said:

Any news on WUSTL? They've notified around this time in past years. 

Haven't heard anything from them personally, but on Draft somebody posted that the program told them they'd most likely send out decisions the first or second week of February. 

3 hours ago, cccmmm said:

um woah can anyone confirm syracuse has started notifying? I'm not seeing anything on the grad cafe tally or MFA Draft

All I can confirm is that on Draft a poetry applicant who lives abroad posted that the program contacted her and asked when a good time to call her would be.  That was a couple of days ago, I think. The post disappeared shortly thereafter. To me it suggests that they've made their decisions for poetry, but I wouldn't assume they've actually sent out notices yet. Also, in previous years they've sent out poetry acceptances earlier than fiction acceptances (based on info in Draft).

On 1/31/2017 at 5:04 PM, manandcamel said:

I've not been accepted into the group yet and it's nice to get these updates, so thanks for doing the legwork. 

You're welcome.  And in case it's helpful, there are also acceptances from Purdue and Minnesota (both poetry) documented in Draft.  Purdue on Jan 27th and Minnesota on the 30th.

Personally, I'm dying to hear from WashU. And if they reject me, then I'll start dying to hear from Syracuse. ?

3 hours ago, manandcamel said:

George Mason has started notifying poetry applicants. I received my acceptance letter via email this afternoon. 

Cheers to you, friend! I applied Fiction and my application status (which I've been obsessively refreshing since I saw your post) just says Out for Decision. A CNF applicant on Draft said the same thing, so at least I know it's not just me. I haven't seen anyone else say anything though.

thank you @Hortense for disclosing the syracuse info--yea, that was an acceptance, afterall (the person private messaged me after)--specifically, we're Not supposed to flood the adcoms with "what's going on" emails, and that's why the post got deleted. But yea, at least poetry acceptances have happened for syracuse and Minnesota--it felt good to find Something out, and at this point I feel like abandoning the refresh button is our best bet for sanity.

13 minutes ago, pdh12 said:

thank you @Hortense for disclosing the syracuse info--yea, that was an acceptance, afterall (the person private messaged me after)--specifically, we're Not supposed to flood the adcoms with "what's going on" emails, and that's why the post got deleted. But yea, at least poetry acceptances have happened for syracuse and Minnesota--it felt good to find Something out, and at this point I feel like abandoning the refresh button is our best bet for sanity.

That explains it! Thanks for the update. Sorry about the unhappy news.

I have a feeling that there's been at least one big program that's sent out notifications for fiction and that it's being kept under wraps (b/c of that guy on Draft who was asking for advice on contacting current students and then wouldn't say which program he'd gotten into). Ugh.

Yes, the refresh button is evil.

1 hour ago, Hortense said:

I have a feeling that there's been at least one big program that's sent out notifications for fiction and that it's being kept under wraps (b/c of that guy on Draft who was asking for advice on contacting current students and then wouldn't say which program he'd gotten into). Ugh.

He's poetry, too. He mentioned getting into an MFA program for poetry in the Draft Fiction Workshop group. Didn't say which one, but the timing is right for Syracuse, considering the other rumoured acceptance.