Fall 2017 MFA

kaiphi

1 hour ago, leogursk said:

Does anyone know if Virginia Tech has sent interview requests for poetry applicants yet? I've only seen interviews for fiction on Draft and the results page.

i have the same question... it seems late to not have notified anyone in poetry yet, but it could be possible that they didn't feel the need to interview any poets?

2 hours ago, cccmmm said:

i have the same question... it seems late to not have notified anyone in poetry yet, but it could be possible that they didn't feel the need to interview any poets?

Ha, that was my thought! It seems insane, but maybe? Holding out hope at least.

For those of you who are in Draft, are there many notifications that haven't been posted on GradCafe yet? I'm trying to get a sense of how many decisions have gone out already. Thanks!

3 hours ago, romola said:

For those of you who are in Draft, are there many notifications that haven't been posted on GradCafe yet? I'm trying to get a sense of how many decisions have gone out already. Thanks!

Hardly, it seems. I only recently joined the group but it looks like people are updating much more over here, and I think many get nervous about posting their rejections when their names are generally attached (Facebook etc). In the last couple days I haven't seen anything on Draft not make its way here also

34 minutes ago, nooncity said:

Hardly, it seems. I only recently joined the group but it looks like people are updating much more over here, and I think many get nervous about posting their rejections when their names are generally attached (Facebook etc). In the last couple days I haven't seen anything on Draft not make its way here also

Good to know. Thank you!!

I've been checking this website far more often than I'd care to admit... 

Edited by romola

12 hours ago, romola said:

Good to know. Thank you!!

I've been checking this website far more often than I'd care to admit... 

Not to add panic, but there is a IWW fiction acceptance on Draft that hasn't made its way over to the results page on here yet

Also, to indulge my own panic, do we have any info on Amherst poetry??? at all??? it seems like they started rolling out acceptances and then stopped, or that all of the people who got in after the first blimp of a person or two getting accepted haven't been on Draft or here? 

4 hours ago, pdh12 said:

Barbara from Umass Amherst says poetry applicants should hear "within the next couple of days"

I don't know who Barbara is, but I trust her and hope she's right

I'm feeling deep languish. these days, and have yet to hear from any of my schools! Amherst is an absolute dream boat, and the promise of impending falling axes makes me cry on the inside

10 hours ago, Cengstro said:

I wonder if IWW could/ would survive budget cuts by cutting the size of its cohorts. 

18 hours ago, pdh12 said:

Barbara from Umass Amherst says poetry applicants should hear "within the next couple of days"

Hmm, I wonder if that means rejections or more acceptances. Someone on Draft visited their table at AWP and said no news isn't necessarily bad, though, as they have a "secret wait list" and take longer to notify fellowship recipients. 

In the vein of link-sharing, what do you all think of the MFA as a lifestyle good

IMO the author has some valid ideas about buying a writer's identity, but she's only looking at the MFA from one direction. I think she puts too much stock in writing as commodity, and dismisses the fact that many people earn their MFA through TAships / tuition remission. Maybe it's my disconnect as an outsider looking into her world as a New York Writer, but all that preparation won't make anyone a better or more successful writer--only writing will.

1 hour ago, manandcamel said:

Hmm, I wonder if that means rejections or more acceptances. Someone on Draft visited their table at AWP and said no news isn't necessarily bad, though, as they have a "secret wait list" and take longer to notify fellowship recipients. 

That was me! 
I went to their AWP table and met a current fiction student who said that he didn't get any news from them until mid-March because he was on a secret waitlist. Their by-laws (according to him) prohibit them from having a real waitlist, so they have one and just don't tell applicants that they're on it. So first tier acceptances should go out soon, but you're not out of the running necessarily until the fat lady sings (or April 15th rolls around). I don't know if they tier rejections, though!

Also, @Sallyj, Draft is the FB group for MFA applicants. Look up "Draft '17" on Facebook and you should find it!

Edited by aheather

17 minutes ago, pdh12 said:

Was accepted to notre dame this morning for poetry---really wishing you guys all the best luck.

This was the first program I've heard back from, and I'm in love with it.

Congrats!  Super cool program.

10 minutes ago, pdh12 said:

@slouching I was wondering how you were doing! Any news yet? I'm virtually/vicariously rooting for you!

Same here! It's great to see someone from here get into a program they're super excited about.

No good news yet. Have been attempting to keep myself busy and away from the internet so my grad school anxieties don't overwhelm me. Of course, just when I thought I'd cultivated a relatively relaxed approach to this whole process, I log on and see that ND and Alabama have been notifying for poetry...

On the bright side, I recently got a job offer I'm thrilled about, and just renewed my lease to stay in an apartment that I love. Trying to focus on the positive, which is totally unlike me, haha.