UCLA MSW Fall 2016 Applicant

Jen B

Yay!  I just got my acceptance this morning.  As a heads up, I did NOT get an email, but got a notification on the application portal.  So check that if you haven't.  It sounds like they'll also be snail mailing an official hard copy letter.  I'm so curious about their decision deadline...does anyone know when we need to notify them by?  I'm holding out for Berkeley's Title IV E interviews still, and I won't have an answer from them till 3/18!

Congratulations to everyone, and those waiting-- hold tight!  Sending high hopes and positive vibes to you all! 

Just now, Msw_22 said:

@Sbjj0701 congrats !!! Wait what application portal ?

Sorry for the confusion!  Here is the link I used to get to the "decision status" page.  https://appstatus.grad.ucla.edu/account/login.aspx

Use the same log in info as you did for your UCLA application.  I hope this is helpful!  Good luck!  

Congrats to all and welcome to UCLA!!!! I look forward to seeing you all there!! Those of you still waiting; stay positive!!!! 

Someone needs to start a Facebook page !! I hear it will help all of us a lot!!! 

Go Bruins!

@MrsKozee Thanks!! I look forward to meeting you this Fall!

Do you have a sense of when we'll know what financial aid we qualify for? And if we're interested in graduate assistantships, should I be looking into that now (and who)?

11 minutes ago, LittleSunshineG said:

@Sbjj0701 hey! Congrats! Do you mind sharing your stats and when you applied? 

Thank you!  And no problem...here are my stats:

Began undergrad at Santa Barbara City College, then transferred to UC Santa Cruz and graduated with a B.A. in Sociology. My Jr/Sr GPA was a 3.71 and my overall GPA was a 3.57.

9 months volunteering at a women's counseling center.

2.5 years working as a case manager in a women's emergency domestic violence shelter

9 months working in a public school providing behavioral intervention to children with trauma-based behavioral needs

Currently working as a case manager for families involved in CPS (similar to family preservation), and providing youth in foster care with volunteer mentors (Been here for a little over 1 year)

A little over a year volunteering for an organization that provides services and support for CSEC youth

Let me know if there is anything else you'd like to know!

@RCtheSS Right?! Considering how poorly my application season has gone, I am expecting a rejection. I have a low GPA and no volunteering. I am completely leaning on my career and life experience, and it's already been very poorly received.

:''''''< this is giving me anxiety.. congrats to all who got in! Im starting to freak out and think like maybe I did my GPA calculation wrong or something. For my Jr & Sr year I took over 90 units so for my gpa worksheet I just inputted up until 90 units and omitted one class. At first I included that course, but after re reading the instructions it said LAST 90 units so I followed the instructions listed on the excel sheet. By omitting that last class, my Jr & Sr gpa rose .03 (from 3.75 to 3.78). Do you think that I will be disqualified or something? Even though I was being honest and following instructions, I just feel like they might see that as me omitting information on purpose or something. Did anyone else go through a similar problem? Ughh Im freaking out

Edited by kel.le

11 hours ago, missmichelle said:

@Msw_22 thank you!! I got an email saying to check the application portal around 2:30AM. I think they'll be sending something else with more detail later. Goodluck!!! Don't lose faith:) 

I never got anything by email...still.  What was the date of your letter linked from the application status portal? Mine was March 4th, but I still haven't gotten that email....and of course the letter in the mail either .   I wonder how long we have to accept or decline?  I sent them an email last Friday but haven't gotten a response.....I will call just as soon as I can find some free time during business hours.

11 hours ago, Sbjj0701 said:

Yay!  I just got my acceptance this morning.  As a heads up, I did NOT get an email, but got a notification on the application portal.  So check that if you haven't.  It sounds like they'll also be snail mailing an official hard copy letter.  I'm so curious about their decision deadline...does anyone know when we need to notify them by?  I'm holding out for Berkeley's Title IV E interviews still, and I won't have an answer from them till 3/18!

Congratulations to everyone, and those waiting-- hold tight!  Sending high hopes and positive vibes to you all! 

Awesome.  Congratulations!  I also don't know the deadline.  Same as you, I never got the email...just found it on the portal.  Last Friday.  Keep me in the loop if you hear anything about the deadline.  I'll do the same.  

11 hours ago, Lorie said:

Awesome.  Congratulations!  I also don't know the deadline.  Same as you, I never got the email...just found it on the portal.  Last Friday.  Keep me in the loop if you hear anything about the deadline.  I'll do the same.  

Thank you! Congrats to you too!  If I happen to see anything about the commitment deadline, I will definitely let you know!

Hello all! I was accepted to UCLA last Friday and am waiting on my official letter. Does anyone know how long you generally have to submit your intent to enroll? UCLA is my top choice, but I'm trying to hold out on my financial aid packages from other programs before declining the other programs, just in case. I'm nervous about loans, but realllly hopeful I can make it work at UCLA! Any information would be great!! Thanks and congrats to everyone else that's already heard back (good luck to everyone that's still waiting to  hear!!!) - Maggie

Edited by MargaretSG

19 hours ago, Msw_22 said:

@kel.le  Don't worry about that! I remember talking to them about that as well and they said to not worry about that worksheet too much they just want an estimate of how you did your jr and sr year !!

Thanks for that @Msw_22! Great news y'all!!! I got my acceptance letter last night @ 2:55 AM! I am so happy woot woot!! Good luck to all. If anyone has any knowledge on this, my next concern is how do I go about telling University of Chicago that I will not be attending even though I submitted my letter of intent to do so. I have not paid the deposit yet, but my decision is contingent on the fact if I get a fellowship at UCLA (which I haven't found out yet). I didn't know that you could ask for extensions  so I went with some random advice I saw on the forum about accepting the program while waiting to hear back from another and if you change your mind, losing your deposit. In my case, I haven't made a deposit. I want to be as transparent as possible!