2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Infinito

15 minutes ago, biosci said:

I am.  But I am really worried about missing a ton of school....

i saved up a lot of vacation time at work, so not worried about that part.  i'm just worried i'll be exhausted by the end of february for those schools that have interviews then and in early march.

16 minutes ago, laxgoal100 said:

Your professors will understand. And in the long run what's more important? Your last semester/quarter grades or the next 4-6 years of your life? At least that's how I'm gonna look at it. 

I think my professors will definitely understand (at least the ones I have talked to), but I really don't want my GPA to drop.  I am going to see what I am able to take pass/fail.

Has anyone tried booking Amtrak through the website that Yale said to use?  It sounded like the charge would automatically go to a credit card with yale but the site is asking me to fill in card numbers and stuff like that.  I could just go ahead and do it and then get reimbursed but I was wondering if anyone was able to use the website already to book a flight or train to Yale?

1 minute ago, mike35 said:

Has anyone tried booking Amtrak through the website that Yale said to use?  It sounded like the charge would automatically go to a credit card with yale but the site is asking me to fill in card numbers and stuff like that.  I could just go ahead and do it and then get reimbursed but I was wondering if anyone was able to use the website already to book a flight or train to Yale?

I booked a flight w/o problems

1 minute ago, biosci said:

It didn't even ask for them.  Did you log in with the right email?

Yeah I did, and the website knew I was associated with Yale because a bunch of Yale travel info came up there and it also asked me if I were attending weekend 1 or weekend 2 for the BBS track I am interviewing at...not sure why they are asking for credit card info from me then.  It does have the option of using a business credit card or personal card, and I clicked business but it still wants me to supply numbers and stuff.  

4 minutes ago, keviv1692 said:

@ smilefreak2001 Wow..Congrats. E-mail or phone and when did you hear back??. And since you too are an international candidate is it a skype ? If so can u please tell when is your skype interview.

Thanks!

I got offered a skype or attending the in-person. At first I thought I would just Skype, but now I think it might be worth making the trip, still undecided.

No dates are confirmed other than the official interviews are in Feb if I decide to go.

Ahh actually sorry I just checked, the email came from molecular bio sciences program not CMB specifically just saw chicago and reacted sorry. So don't panic you could still be in with a shot!

4 hours ago, pm666 said:

Hi guys, 

anyone know if all UCSD BMS interviews are sent out? Really appreciate your help.. Any idea about Duke UPGG and UNC chapel hill BBSP??

happy weekend folks !!

I received an invite from Duke UPGG and at least one other person in this thread received one before me. I don't know at all whether they sent them all out early or if they're still sending invites out though! The weekends are February 4-6 or February 18-20 for UPGG. 

I applied to UNC BBSP too and haven't heard anything from them either. I think the general consensus is that they might send out more invites in January? Not really sure.

I'm super excited to have gotten as many interview invites as I have, and I'm kind of okay with not having heard back from the more competitive programs I applied to at this point. This time last year I was worried I wouldn't get any interview invites, so I'm feeling pretty optimistic right now! 

Hope everyone here has a happy and safe holiday (and try not to stress too much :P)!   

Feeling bummed about Harvard BBS.. Anyhow, i emailed Sloan kettering and they said  Applications are still being reviewed by our admissions committee. Once they have reviewed yours you will be notified via email.[means hope for me!]

Trying to have hope to just wait out for Harvard..maybe they haven't finished and have to send more on monday. 

Getting into grad schools is like screening for colonies, you just need that one colony that has what you are looking for inside. 

19 hours ago, biosci said:

another weird question: If a school gives you a choice of staying with a current student or staying in a hotel, does it look better to the school if you choose to stay with a student?

I think that it doesn't really matter, whatever makes you feel more comfortable. 

19 minutes ago, AtomDance said:

I received an invite from Duke UPGG and at least one other person in this thread received one before me. I don't know at all whether they sent them all out early or if they're still sending invites out though! The weekends are February 4-6 or February 18-20 for UPGG. 

I applied to UNC BBSP too and haven't heard anything from them either. I think the general consensus is that they might send out more invites in January? Not really sure.

I'm super excited to have gotten as many interview invites as I have, and I'm kind of okay with not having heard back from the more competitive programs I applied to at this point. This time last year I was worried I wouldn't get any interview invites, so I'm feeling pretty optimistic right now! 

Hope everyone here has a happy and safe holiday (and try not to stress too much :P)!   

random question: when did you get your maryland invite?

1 hour ago, Earl said:

i saved up a lot of vacation time at work, so not worried about that part.  i'm just worried i'll be exhausted by the end of february for those schools that have interviews then and in early march.

haha you will be.  By the end of the interview time I just wanted to be home and done with it all for a few weeks.  It isn't terrible it just becomes getting home in time to get a few things settled and go into work (or school) before bouncing off again.  Didn't get a ton of time to see friends during the time since most of my weekends were spent out of town.

10 minutes ago, peachypie said:

haha you will be.  By the end of the interview time I just wanted to be home and done with it all for a few weeks.  It isn't terrible it just becomes getting home in time to get a few things settled and go into work (or school) before bouncing off again.  Didn't get a ton of time to see friends during the time since most of my weekends were spent out of town.

Glad someone brought this up...I was staring at my calendar last night and realized that I won't have a free weekend for 6+ weeks...

1 hour ago, Earl said:

for those who've gotten multiple interviews (like 5-6+), are you planning to go to all of them?  schedule looks so crazy.

My daughter has received 4 invites so far; the other 3 schools don't invite until January. She is determined to go to all of them if the schedule allows. She was afraid she'd get no invites; now she's afraid she'll get no admission offers, so she feels she needs to go to them all just in case. She is now scheduled for the last weekend of Jan and the first 3 weekends of Feb. She's holding the last weekend of Feb and the first weekend of Mar open, based on historical and current info. No clue when interviews for the 7th school might be, so she's thinking she may have to turn it down due to scheduling conflicts. Luckily, it's the school at the bottom of her list. (Daughter doesn't do forums, while I'm a forum junkie, which is why you're hearing from me and not her. She doesn't mind me sharing with you, as she's thankful for all the info Ive learned demo all of you and passed along to her.)

5 hours ago, pm666 said:

Hi guys, 

anyone know if all UCSD BMS interviews are sent out? Really appreciate your help.. Any idea about Duke UPGG and UNC chapel hill BBSP??

happy weekend folks !!

I got a UNC invite yesterday so I think they're still sending them out. Their interview dates are Jan 21-23, Jan 28-30, Feb 4-6, Feb 11-13, Feb 18-2, and Feb 25-27 but they'll assign you one.

Edited by mrpoopybutthole

1 minute ago, wintergreens said:

If a school gives you an option to stay in a hotel or with a current graduate student for interview weekend, does it really matter what one chooses? 

I really don't think so, it is a personal preference at most.  Most of my schools automatically put me in a hotel but I know of people who opted to stay with a student at other interviews.  Hotels you either get paired off with another student or you get a room to yourself but it is nice to have someone around as you are going and doing things.  It is also nice to escape to a hotel room and just de-stress and relax when you get a minute.