2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Infinito

1 hour ago, pandorse said:

Should you respond to the email which states that you are invited to an interview, or just RSVP in the provided link and that should suffice?

The interview e-mail didn't seem personalized towards me.  I'd like to respond with a thank you, but the e-mail was sent via their admissions email address so I'm not sure what to do

Please advise!

Just use the link, save the thank you and response emails for after interview or after talking to an admin/coordinator.

Ok guys, so I need your advice. I was invited to interviews at both the University of Pennsylvania and Weill Cornell and Cornell's interview dates are Jan 20-22 while Penn's are 21-23. These are both top choices for me and neither program suggested an alternate date... I know I can ask but I worry it might look like they're not a top choice for me or something. And I wouldn't know which one to ask for an alternate date for. Thoughts?? I really don't want to miss the major interview weekend for either one! 

5 minutes ago, jordy_protein said:

Ok guys, so I need your advice. I was invited to interviews at both the University of Pennsylvania and Weill Cornell and Cornell's interview dates are Jan 20-22 while Penn's are 21-23. These are both top choices for me and neither program suggested an alternate date... I know I can ask but I worry it might look like they're not a top choice for me or something. And I wouldn't know which one to ask for an alternate date for. Thoughts?? I really don't want to miss the major interview weekend for either one! 

In my interview email from Weill Cornell, they had this line "If you are unable to attend during these days but remain interested in our graduate program, please let us know so that we may determine if alternative arrangement for interviews can be made."
In fact, when you click on the interview link and try registering for the interview, they ask you if you are interested in attending the interview AND if you are able to attend Jan 20-22. I would say select Yes for the interview, but No for the Jan 20-22, but contact them first. The deadline to accept the interview is Jan 4th though, so I would call them up tomorrow before they close for Christmas.

Edited by ForScience!

13 minutes ago, jordy_protein said:

See if you can do an alternate for one (whichever is slightly lower on your list or whoever got to you second), or if possible I'd bet the actual days of interview would be the 21st for Cornell and 22nd for Penn.  If nothing can be changed you can try leaving Cornell on the 21st evening to arrive on the 22nd for Penn's.  Usually the first day is not critical or last day really since they often need to make sure a travel issue doesn't screw things up too much.

3 hours ago, jordy_protein said:

Try to get a skype interview with the one you like the least.

Edited by Plan A

Hey guys so I completed the survey for Yale bbs interview dates and interviewers but I didn't get any confirmation and I'm just getting nervous that they may not have gotten it. Have none of you guys gotten any confirmation either? Should I email them and ask?

58 minutes ago, peachypie said:

See if you can do an alternate for one (whichever is slightly lower on your list or whoever got to you second), or if possible I'd bet the actual days of interview would be the 21st for Cornell and 22nd for Penn.  If nothing can be changed you can try leaving Cornell on the 21st evening to arrive on the 22nd for Penn's.  Usually the first day is not critical or last day really since they often need to make sure a travel issue doesn't screw things up too much.

I'm in a similar position...  is it really alright to just attend part of the interview weekend (like just the day with the 1:1 faculty interviews) and leave right after that to go to another school's interview?  does anyone have experience with doing that?

4 minutes ago, AgingBio123 said:

Hey guys so I completed the survey for Yale bbs interview dates and interviewers but I didn't get any confirmation and I'm just getting nervous that they may not have gotten it. Have none of you guys gotten any confirmation either? Should I email them and ask?

When I pressed the "Next" button the screen thanked me for submitting it, but that was all the conformation I received. 

Edited by biosci
I can't spell

5 minutes ago, Earl said:

aghhhhh, this school does not accommodate alternate interview options... :(:(  it's either the established interview weekends or nothing 

That's my fear.... Scripps' interview is the same days as Stanford, but I probably won't hear about Stanford until after I need to tell Scripps.  I know Stanford is super competitive so I probably won't get an invite, but I would prefer that to Scripps but I have to let Scripps know and agghhh

To people interviewing with UMich PIBS: Did you find that some of your POI's are missing from the dropdown list for interview faculty? Looks like I won't be able to interview with any of the faculty I listed in my SOP :/

1 hour ago, Earl said:

I'm in a similar position...  is it really alright to just attend part of the interview weekend (like just the day with the 1:1 faculty interviews) and leave right after that to go to another school's interview?  does anyone have experience with doing that?

Are you also dealing with UPenn/Weill Cornell ? Just curious

1 hour ago, Earl said:

That will entirely depend on the school and the schedule of events they have put together.  It is obviously best to not miss any part of it but sometimes we had some people that missed the first evening due to a travel issue (which obviously can't be planned for) as for planning to leave early I don't know.  I'd pick the one you are most interested in and select that one for the full interview time.  If neither school is willing to do an alternate date that is really tough.  Go with your gut? 

1 minute ago, Liverbird_93 said:

Have all of the scripps invites gone out? 
Also, does anyone know when the integrated program at Columbia will get back to us?

I have a feeling only a handful of Scripps interview invites have gone out, and those are probably for certain focus areas. I'm waiting on Scripps as well!

4 minutes ago, Liverbird_93 said:

Also, does anyone know when the integrated program at Columbia will get back to us?

Just now, bicsy said:

I have a feeling only a handful of Scripps interview invites have gone out, and those are probably for certain focus areas. I'm waiting on Scripps as well!

No clue, sorry.  I was really surprised to get one today because the survey results shows that they have been sent in January in past years...

23 minutes ago, Liverbird_93 said:

Invites for Columbia's Integrated Program started going out today.

Edited by AmyShelton

5 hours ago, aaahhhmyfuture said:

@biochemgirl67  No, I would not say I was trying to "backdoor" my way into this program.  The person who I was set up with has no bearing on admissions decisions, and the questions I asked him were solely about the atmosphere of the science programs at the school and the area surrounding it as well as a question about the structure of the program.  I'm rather offended by your conclusion. 

I want to say that you probably took my response wrong.  I wasn't accusing you, i was trying to figure out a weird situation. Especially why the prof would stop answering.  He could easily have made the same assumption especially since your family was involved.  I'm sorry you were offended.

Edited by biochemgirl67