2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Infinito

1 minute ago, RaganSmash said:

Thanks for the reply. For what it's worth, I'm from Memphis and got my BS and MS from Northwestern University. I just moved here two years ago to work in a biotech company and am not really looking to move again for a while. Is it being a UW grad or being a Seattle/Washington resident that hurts you?

From what I've heard (and experiences of close friends), it's being a UW grad. I know multiple UW grads who applied to UW (for neuro), then got accepted to Harvard / MIT/ UC schools. I'm not sure about being a Seattle resident, but if you've been working in the private sector, I don't think you'd be disadvantaged. It's also likely a department-specific issue. But I just wanted to share since it seemed odd that so many Seattle residents are waiting to hear back.

3 hours ago, Dr. Brains said:

Maybe I'll see you around at WUSTL if we both get in! WUSTL is my #1 choice and I just heard from my POI (though he was very vague about my application status). I've actually been struggling with his vagueness because he emailed me, asked if i had questions, had a little chat about some mutual people we know (Professors I've taken classes with at my school who he's worked with before), sent me a grant he has in progress, but then told me he was leaving for vacation and I haven heard back from him since the 1st. Recruitment weekend is Feb 11-12th so now I'm freaking out:

You have any info/tips?

Considering it's already January, I'm honestly waiting for the rejection email... 

Someone just put a Stanford Biosciences Immunology result on the survey for an interview.  If anyone is this person, could you please confirm on here?  It would make me very happy to know if they are actually sending out invites, even if I didn't get one.

3 hours ago, dnarox said:

Has anyone heard from UTSW umbrella program? It looks as if one person on the survey page has reported receiving an interview.

I just got an interview invitation today. It looks like they are starting to send them out now. Are you applying to the DBS program?

Just got an interview invite by email from TSRI Jupiter, Florida campus! 

Anyone know if the admissions committees for FL vs CA are the same or different? I'm wondering if they send out interview requests separately or would say "you're invite to both locations" in one email. 

10 minutes ago, GT_lcd said:

Anyone know if the admissions committees for FL vs CA are the same or different? I'm wondering if they send out interview requests separately or would say "you're invite to both locations" in one email. 

I certainly do not know for sure, but by the way they made it sound in the directions, I would expect 2 separate emails.  I could be wrong though, that was just my interpretation.  Congrats by the way!

Question for you guys - I live around the area about an hour away from one of my schools I will be interviewing at. They ask if we are centrally located and can drive to to their location and don't require flight and/or hotel. Would it be bad to request a hotel so that I can easily get to and from all the activities without worrying about transportation back and forth?

I got an invite for TSRI La Jolla and the date they offered is mar 3-6, which clashes with Stanford(still waiting to hear back)..heard the feb slot is fully booked. ARGH, advice?? I'm an international student btw

9 minutes ago, Tanids said:

Question for you guys - I live around the area about an hour away from one of my schools I will be interviewing at. They ask if we are centrally located and can drive to to their location and don't require flight and/or hotel. Would it be bad to request a hotel so that I can easily get to and from all the activities without worrying about transportation back and forth?

I think an hour away is far enough to justify a hotel. In not needing flights, you are already saving the school money anyways. Considering that interview days can start at 8am and there might be traffic driving to the campus, I think it's in your best interest to just stay at the hotel and save yourself some stress in the morning. 

For what it's worth - I live in SF and for my upcoming UC Berkeley interview I asked to stay in the hotel, which they had no problem with. 

13 minutes ago, Tanids said:

Would it be bad to request a hotel so that I can easily get to and from all the activities without worrying about transportation back and forth?

Not at all. It's a bit excessive and stressful to drive over an 1hr to and back from the campus for an interview so asking for a hotel is a very reasonable request imo.

4 minutes ago, aichan93 said:

I got an invite for TSRI La Jolla and the date they offered is mar 3-6, which clashes with Stanford(still waiting to hear back)..heard the feb slot is fully booked. ARGH, advice?? I'm an international student btw

Did TSRI give you a deadline to respond by? Stanford states that interview invites should go out sometime this week (for domestic applicants at least) so you could just wait to respond to TSRI until you know whether or not you have a Stanford invite in hand. 

Past that, if you have invites from both schools you'll just have to choose one over the other unless one school is willing to offer alternative dates (which I think is probably unlikely with TSRI and Stanford, but it never hurts to ask!). 

32 minutes ago, Tanids said:

Same situation. I still asked for a night in a hotel.

The only difference is I live in NYC so I am not driving but taking the subway...

52 minutes ago, Tanids said:

I'm honestly surprised they didn't offer you that.  I know a few programs where people were local and they always offered a hotel.  I don't think its out of the ordinary to ask if you are an hour's drive especially since interview weekends have activities that start early and end late (dinners/social outings etc).  You can definitely say you are happy to drive but think a hotel is easier for the interview schedule. 

3 hours ago, biochemgirl67 said:

Someone just put a Stanford Biosciences Immunology result on the survey for an interview.  If anyone is this person, could you please confirm on here?  It would make me very happy to know if they are actually sending out invites, even if I didn't get one.

Yea...I'd kinda like to know too. Hopefully they're spreading it out over a couple days...

@keviv1692: I got an invite to UMass Med School, and they said the first interview weekend was almost full in my invite email.  I'm assuming this means they have sent out at least one batch before today's.

@Tanids : You should at least ask about a hotel.  The worst they can do is say no.  I know one of the schools I was invited to specifically said they don't provide hotel/travel accommodations to students living less than x miles away.  If they don't specifically say something like that, you're probably good.

32 minutes ago, keviv1692 said:

Guys anybody heard from UMass Medical School Worcester BBS.. I saw a post today, can u please post it here.Thanks!

I heard back over a month ago, it appears that they are sending out invites gradually as i have seen them come up here and there on the survey since then...at an online grad school fair they said they would be reviewing apps as early as mid Nov (before the deadline) 

11 minutes ago, bdnf_13.1 said:

I heard back over a month ago, it appears that they are sending out invites gradually as i have seen them come up here and there on the survey since then...at an online grad school fair they said they would be reviewing apps as early as mid Nov (before the deadline) 

They also said those who attend the online grad fair will have their application fee waived. I contacted them about how that works before I submitted my application but they never responded, so I paid the fees...

I'm regretting not submitting my applications earlier.  A few of my professors said not to bother submitting anything early then major procrastination set in. But for those interested (still waiting), I submitted my material probably two days early.

Edited by aaahhhmyfuture