2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Infinito

4 minutes ago, Jmoney$$ said:

Well I would but they already told me to wait and said everything would be out by end of week. So if I keep asking and they remember me I just seem like a jerkface.

No my english is bad. I literally do not know what is a nuisance.

1 minute ago, Yav Friendly said:

No my english is bad. I literally do not know what is a nuisance.

Oh sorry. A nuisance is someone or something that is annoying or continuously pestering you. Like a mosquito is a nuisance, waiting for grad school results is a nuisance.

Question:  if you haven't gotten an interview or rejection yet from one of your top choice schools (but you know invites already went out), is it alright to call the admissions and try to make your case.. ie. say i've gotten invites into other top tier schools such as X, Y, Z, but am really interested more in this program...  or would they just pretty much ignore this?

2 minutes ago, Gram Positive said:

OMG!!! Pitt IBGP and NIH OxCam on the same day!!! Just have to figure out how to coordinate these interviews :)

Jesus you have a ton of interviews. Good luck and I hope you can enjoy all of em. Oxcam is really cool

5 minutes ago, Earl said:

Question:  if you haven't gotten an interview or rejection yet from one of your top choice schools (but you know invites already went out), is it alright to call the admissions and try to make your case.. ie. say i've gotten invites into other top tier schools such as X, Y, Z, but am really interested more in this program...  or would they just pretty much ignore this?

I don't know if it's worth it. 

Mostly because if you call, I don't think you'd speak to someone on adcom or even someone who would pass the info along to adcom

18 minutes ago, Earl said:

I think you don't have much to lose. If you are on waitlist (which sounds likely) then they won't dislike you expressing interest. After all, they don't want to bring someone out who isn't serious about attending, and if they have to choose from waitlist it might be good for them to think of you first. Just my two cents.

13 minutes ago, Jmoney$$ said:

I think you don't have much to lose. If you are on waitlist (which sounds likely) then they won't dislike you expressing interest. After all, they don't want to bring someone out who isn't serious about attending, and if they have to choose from waitlist it might be good for them to think of you first. Just my two cents.

Actually, not knowing anything does not mean you're on the waitlist. Schools usually send rejections with acceptances. For example, I asked people at one of my top choices if there was something I could do about not getting an invite and they told me that it is unlikely that I'd get invited or admitted. Regardless, if you think explaining your case might help, then go for it.

1 minute ago, Bioenchilada said:

Actually, not knowing anything does not mean you're on the waitlist. Schools usually send rejections with acceptances. For example, I asked people at one of my top choices if there was something I could do about not getting an invite and they told me that it is unlikely that I'd get invited or admitted. Regardless, if you think explaining your case might help, then go for it.

Well I gotta say, not being rejected or admitted is a lot better than being rejected Haha. I think the implied "wait list" was due to the other programs they have gotten interviews at. There may not even be a wait list. They may have gone through 50 applications and either offered invites and rejected the rest in that group, and your application was never even reviewed yet. Or they could offer 10, reject 20, and roll the next 10 over into the next group because they don't know how the rest of the apps will turn out. Who knows. 

22 minutes ago, Jmoney$$ said:

I think you have nothing to lose. Worst case you will be considered a nuisance.

3 hours ago, Immunolog said:

Got that email as well. Although an insider already told me Im not getting an interview. 

3 hours ago, HopefulPHD14 said:

I have now had 3 identical emails with the "Status of your UCLA Molecular Biology IDP Application".  This one stated that it was the "FINAL UPDATE".  All 3 emails have been identical and all 3 have noted that I have turned in everything (letters of rec, transcripts, GREs ect.).  I am guessing this is not a problem.  I too am confused but I don't think there is any reason to be worried.  

I'll call my buddy who is also applying to UCLA to see if he got it too, but I wouldn't worry if I were you  (unless other people are not getting these same emails or someone else has some information I do not).  

Maybe it means they are starting another round of reviewing applications?  That would be nice right?

Thanks! I guess everyone has been getting those update emails then. Not expecting anything, but yeah it does sounds like they may still be reviewing apps. 

3 hours ago, goldenbuff said:

I just got an email (about 10 minutes ago) from the coordinator with contact information for their travel agency. I would expect you'll be getting the same one soon.

Did you get an itinerary for the weill cornell interview?  They gave contact info for the travel agency, but i have no idea what time to fly in by and what day/time to leave..

1 minute ago, Earl said:

Did you get an itinerary for the weill cornell interview?  They gave contact info for the travel agency, but i have no idea what time to fly in by and what day/time to leave..

All I got was the contact information. I'm assuming/hoping the travel people know something about the timing. I'm coming from Boston though so I can take Amtrak the morning of and I'll be fine. You could always try replying to the coordinator and asking for a little more information.

3 hours ago, mike35 said:

I applied to Caltech Biology and I was invited for an interview 

Congrats! Thank you for verifying!

3 hours ago, goldenbuff said:

I just got an email (about 10 minutes ago) from the coordinator with contact information for their travel agency. I would expect you'll be getting the same one soon.

Thanks! Just got one as well. See you then! 

2 hours ago, jordy_protein said:

I thought I would be seeing more Berkeley MCB interview invitations on here and the results forum since this is the week they're inviting people... but I've only seen postings from people who received a call prior to this week :/ 

Me too. I called and they said all invites went out :(

Weird question guys...

I just got an email from a school that addressed me by name, however that name was not my name (Hello X, instead of my name Y)

Do you guys think this email was intended for me or a mistake?  They probably are really inviting me for an interview right?  They just copy pasted the email and forgot to change my name? Right?  This isnt some cruel joke right?

1 minute ago, HopefulPHD14 said:

Weird question guys...

I just got an email from a school that addressed me by name, however that name was not my name (Hello X, instead of my name Y)

Do you guys think this email was intended for me or a mistake?  They probably are really inviting me for an interview right?  They just copy pasted the email and forgot to change my name? Right?  This isnt some cruel joke right?

All you can do is email back and ask.