2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Infinito

14 hours ago, ultravioletblack said:

Weird question: does anyone know about the rooming situation for their schools? Is it typical to have a single hotel room to yourself during interviews? 

I had both situations where I got my own room and where I shared.  It depends on the school!  There are pros and cons to both, but never had an issue with any of my roomies or any awkward times.  won't feel like a competition with them at all, and look at it as a way to meet your potential classmates.

5 hours ago, biochemgirl67 said:

Oh I had a question for interviewing I just remembered.  Do the women on here who have interviewed usually carry some sort of bag with them?  I have a padfolio thing but I don't know where I'll put any of my stuff otherwise.  I was thinking about bringing my leather backpack (does anybody remember the one Princess Mia had in Princess diaries?  It's the same deal.:P) but I don't really know.  You know, a place to have a water bottle, your phone, a wallet, and to carry like gloves/a hat if we go outside.

I carried a nice tote bag, like a longchamp style one...actually mine was JPK and dark purple in color so a color that worked just fine with interview clothes.  I kept my portfolio in there as well as like pens, my phone and random stuff.  Really nice not to be holding a bunch of stuff when you are meeting people and shaking hands etc. 

19 minutes ago, jaesango said:

Thanks! according to the survey no one else has heard back so I think they'll be sending more out, so I wouldn't lose hope yet! 

Or we all got rejected... dont want to be a buzz killington, but that is possible...

2 minutes ago, Bioenchilada said:

Lol I cant call again because I already did so earlier today. I would otherwise volunteer haha

I started blocking my number when I dial out just in case the schools have caller ID lol

1 minute ago, Jmoney$$ said:

So there's another one for cancer bio out now.

I'm throwing in the towel, and editing stanford in my spreadsheet to "N".

But they JUST started coming out! give it till the end of the night at least ;)

2 minutes ago, Bioenchilada said:

Lol I cant call again because I already did so earlier today. I would otherwise volunteer haha

Are you talking about Stanford? I called several times today but no one answered.... (I called the biophysics contact though since that was my first choice) But anyway just thought it was strange...

4 minutes ago, jordy_protein said:

Are you talking about Stanford? I called several times today but no one answered.... (I called the biophysics contact though since that was my first choice) But anyway just thought it was strange...

Lol thats probably because we're super annoying.

Also guys I emailed Cancer Bio, they said all invites have been sent out. 

Poops.

6 minutes ago, AstronautSteve said:

Just disguise your voice like when Kevin McCallister called the police

I just imagine someone calling in a fake voice and them being like "Ya... We know it's you. Stop calling." and then awkward pause till you hangup the phone. 

Edited by Gram Neutral

5 minutes ago, wintergreens said:

Do you guys think schools space out their invites between several hours? I'd assume they'd send all at once.

I think it depends on the school. Some schools do one mass email push to all invitees while others might delegate the students among faculty to contact individually. 

8 minutes ago, Jmoney$$ said:

Lol thats probably because we're super annoying.

Also guys I emailed Cancer Bio, they said all invites have been sent out. 

Poops.

Aw, darn. Looks like I can say yes to Scripps now though!

9 minutes ago, wintergreens said:

Do you guys think schools space out their invites between several hours? I'd assume they'd send all at once.

Unfortunately not all programs are automated or use mail-merge, so the some poor program admins have to do it manually.

Alright I'm done waiting for responses! woot. Gl to those still waiting, don't break your keyboard.

Here's the interviews I'm attending: 

UCSF, 1st weekend

UCSD, 1st weekend

Scripps (La Jolla), 1st weekend.

I'll see y'all there if you are going!

Gonna go drink.

Just called MIT Biology department and asked about the interview invites. He said they've been sent out, and that if you haven't received any email thus far, it's unlikely you'll be invited.

Atleast I know now and won't be anxious through the weekend. Ahh the weekend's going to be such fun going over in my head all the things I could possibly have done differently to get called by MIT. Fun times :mellow::blink:

Edited by Microburritology