2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Infinito

11 minutes ago, peachypie said:

It seems like this is another quirk between a small program/umbrella program. Thank you for your opinion, and I wish you a calming Thursday.

Has anyone gone on an interview when they were sick? 

My flight leaves this evening, but I woke up feeling horrible. It may just be a bad head cold, but my sinuses are throbbing, nose running, etc. 

Im not sure if I should just take some cold medicine, hope it helps, and suck it up. 

Problem is that interviews have been exhausting when I haven't been sick and I have 5 more to go on after this one, so I really don't want to get worse.... 

I don't know what to do.

19 minutes ago, Superres said:

My flight leaves this evening, but I woke up feeling horrible. It may just be a bad head cold, but my sinuses are throbbing, nose running, etc. 

Im not sure if I should just take some cold medicine, hope it helps, and suck it up. 

Problem is that interviews have been exhausting when I haven't been sick and I have 5 more to go on after this one, so I really don't want to get worse.... 

I don't know what to do.

Is there an alternate interview day? I would call the administrator/coordinator and tell him/her that you're feeling ill. Unplanned situations like that happen; it would be unfair to penalize you over it.  

19 hours ago, biochemm said:

Given that my other interviews thus far, and my future interviews have all been scheduled with potential PIs I'm finding it odd that they do it this way. I guess it's just because BU runs the umbrella program, whereas the others are all specific programs right off the bat. Still seems weird that I'm expected to want to go to a school in which I haven't met someone under whom I would actually work. Alternatively, maybe its a sign I should be getting in contact with the other PIs there on my own. Who knows

I agree with @peachypie... you aren't choosing potential PIs at all, even at small programs.  That's what rotations are for because you have to mesh well on a personality level.  If that's what you're looking for, you might be a tad disappointed when you get to grad school.  Obviously you should have people you're interested in and may have met them in passing at a dinner or something.  But to expect to have interviewed with them?  It's a teensy bit closed minded to think that this is the way you choose grad school.  What if they don't have funding next year or decide to teach more or go on sabbatical or are an awful mentor or decide to take their research in a direction you don't want to go in?  My interviews include ~50% people I expressed interest in and others that are on the admin committee or are available or some other criteria.

40 minutes ago, 123hardasABC said:

Is there an alternate interview day? I would call the administrator/coordinator and tell him/her that you're feeling ill. Unplanned situations like that happen; it would be unfair to penalize you over it.  

They didn't offer one, but I'm going to call and see if there is an alternative. 

It really sucks, but I can't even fathom getting on a plane right now. :(

9 minutes ago, biochemgirl67 said:

I agree with @peachypie... you aren't choosing potential PIs at all, even at small programs.  That's what rotations are for because you have to mesh well on a personality level.  If that's what you're looking for, you might be a tad disappointed when you get to grad school.  Obviously you should have people you're interested in and may have met them in passing at a dinner or something.  But to expect to have interviewed with them?  It's a teensy bit closed minded to think that this is the way you choose grad school.  What if they don't have funding next year or decide to teach more or go on sabbatical or are an awful mentor or decide to take their research in a direction you don't want to go in?  My interviews include ~50% people I expressed interest in and others that are on the admin committee or are available or some other criteria.

There are some programs that are like this though.... I'm not sure what program the OP is referring to.  I know one of the programs I applied to last year interviews were only w/ potential PIs (whether chosen by me or not). Ultimately, things did not mesh with the PI that interviewed me and I chose not to attend that school. I do think that some people do fall into the trap of applying to certain programs based on potential PIs only to be disappointed later on. 

34 minutes ago, biochemgirl67 said:

I agree with @peachypie... you aren't choosing potential PIs at all, even at small programs.

The first two schools at which I interviewed I was required to be sponsored by a specific PI's funds to be admitted. Obviously I enjoyed meeting other PIs around and was told that the possibility of switching exists if something didn't work out, and that rotations allow you to get a feel for those other labs. Again, I guess you guys are looking at much differently run programs, so I appreciate the input on BU which I imagine is closer to what you're used to, and why I asked in the first place.

Edited by biochemm

59 minutes ago, biochemgirl67 said:

I'm so so excited for you!!!  Congratulations on UPenn... I hope you go! :D

It's very likely that I'll accept the offer :D

But I'll wait till I'm done with interviews before making any decisions haha

2 hours ago, Superres said:

I don't know what to do.

Lol I'm on the same boat but I'm already half way there.... Hopefully I could just stay in the hotel today and get better for the interview. Did they offer you any alternative?

2 hours ago, Superres said:

I don't know what to do.

I have definitely seen people sick at interviews and showing signs (coughing, sniffling, etc.). It's unfortunate but I don't think it will count against you. As long as you can hold things together for your actual interviews with the PI and are able to speak, you should be alright.

So I want to ask if it is proper for me to ask the school for a fly-out ticket. The situation is that I am an international and university in NY already bought my international round trip tickets. Today I got email from Pittsburgh and originally invite me for an skype interview. After I told them I will be in the states they offered an on campus interview. The person was very kind and directed me to book tickets through their agency. However it was not very clear from our conversation whether they can cover both fly-in and fly-out. I will fly from NYC to Pittsburgh and I am not planning to directly fly back to NYC since I will still be in the states for over a week. I plan to go to Philly (for fun) next. I did not realize it was a long trip to Pittsburgh to Philly. I mean, is it proper for me to ask them cover a fly out to Philly?

Scratch that. They were actually planning to pay my flight back to NYC. Philly should be cheaper.

And sorry for added one more floor below.

Edited by Yav Friendly

22 minutes ago, Ferroportin said:

Just received my first acceptance to UC Berkeley MCB! So nice to finally hear back from one of my top choices!

Congratulations! I really enjoyed visiting Berkeley, and then I found out today that I got into their neuroscience program so I might end up there, too!

40 minutes ago, Ferroportin said:

Just received my first acceptance to UC Berkeley MCB! So nice to finally hear back from one of my top choices!

My alma mater <3 I miss it so. Congratulations!

34 minutes ago, Micecroscopy said:

Congratulations! I really enjoyed visiting Berkeley, and then I found out today that I got into their neuroscience program so I might end up there, too!

18 minutes ago, 123hardasABC said:

My alma mater <3 I miss it so. Congratulations!

Thanks! I really enjoyed visiting as well - I live in SF right now so it'd be nice to potentially stay in the bay area!

I was sitting at the Philadelphia airport a few hours back, waiting for the connecting flight to New Haven, when I hear two girls behind me talking about mol bio research in Yale BBS labs. I turn around and ask them, are you going to Yale for the recruitment weekend, and they're like yeah, you too? I say me too, and I hear 8 other me too's from around me. 

Turns out there were 11 students for the recruitment weekend at Yale, and 2 Yale professors in a SUPER SMALL charter plane of 15 people :blink::o:lol: It was almost like Yale sent a private jet to Philadelphia to pick up its people.

Edited by Microburritology

6 hours ago, Bioenchilada said:

It's very likely that I'll accept the offer :D

But I'll wait till I'm done with interviews before making any decisions haha

I know how that feels... I'm sooooo happy for you!

Also... is anyone having Facebook angst with friends posting about every interview/acceptance they get??? My friends going into chemistry programs are getting all their acceptances now and post about EVERY. SINGLE. ONE.  I'm holding off letting people know about my stuff IRL until I make an overall decision and it's killing me because they all keep saying when they see me, "I haven't heard anything about your graduate school applications.  Oh, I guess you should have applied to ISU because acceptances are already completely out.  Well, I know someone in biology and they already got three acceptances.  So you might want to go to career fair if those other interviews don't pan out."

Just a vent!

22 hours ago, SwimmerBio12 said:

Thanks for your input! I just looked into these PREP programs. I didn't know that they exist. I found some PREP programs at my top choice schools where I am considering doing my Ph.D two years from now. This is definitely something I will strongly look into especially since I want to enhance my credentials and research before applying to Ph.D. programs. These are the types of programs that I am looking for. Right timing too since many of these deadlines are in March - April. Thanks again! 

good luck :) 

8 hours ago, biochemgirl67 said:

Also... is anyone having Facebook angst with friends posting about every interview/acceptance they get??? My friends going into chemistry programs are getting all their acceptances now and post about EVERY. SINGLE. ONE.  I'm holding off letting people know about my stuff IRL until I make an overall decision and it's killing me because they all keep saying when they see me, "I haven't heard anything about your graduate school applications.  Oh, I guess you should have applied to ISU because acceptances are already completely out.  Well, I know someone in biology and they already got three acceptances.  So you might want to go to career fair if those other interviews don't pan out."

Just a vent!

hahahahaahah

16 hours ago, Microburritology said:

I was sitting at the Philadelphia airport a few hours back, waiting for the connecting flight to New Haven, when I hear two girls behind me talking about mol bio research in Yale BBS labs. I turn around and ask them, are you going to Yale for the recruitment weekend, and they're like yeah, you too? I say me too, and I hear 8 other me too's from around me. 

Turns out there were 11 students for the recruitment weekend at Yale, and 2 Yale professors in a SUPER SMALL charter plane of 15 people :blink::o:lol: It was almost like Yale sent a private jet to Philadelphia to pick up its people.

If a lot of people are flying into the airport in New Haven (which they probably are), they're going to be making connections in Philly because that's the only airport it goes too :P

12 hours ago, biochemgirl67 said:

Just a vent!

I completely feel you on this one.

Biology seems to differ so much from other fields. It's quite confusing (and frustrating) really.

48 minutes ago, levodopa said:

I completely feel you on this one.

Biology seems to differ so much from other fields. It's quite confusing (and frustrating) really.

Well, also the girl that actually said that stuff to me is a jerk anyways.  She thinks she's hot stuff because she is a chemistry major and runs around saying it's hardest science and biochemistry majors are chemistry dropouts.  And I'm like seriously?  Are we freshmen again?  Lol but she uses her dad who is a chemist at a chemical company to get her summer jobs and was trying to use his old PI from his grad school to go to her top choice.