2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Infinito

54 minutes ago, Infinito said:

What @biochemgirl67 said was pretty much the basic answer, and obviously it's really hard to get a sense for all the schools until you see them all. That being said, gut reactions are really important. My grad interview buddy stressed the "fit" aspect, how just because one program might be higher ranked doesn't mean it's better for you, for what you want to do, and for your mental health for the next 5-6 years. That allowed her to cut some choices off her list after interviewing, leaving her to two gut-wrenching decisions. She then literally had to flip a coin at that point, and she's really happy to be where she is now.

And as long as you can see yourself there, you can't go wrong even if you have to choose between 2 awesome schools.  But "fit" is the hardest to explain and the easiest to ignore if you're not careful.  For instance, I know that maybe a super intense environment may not be the best for me (like work 80+ hours a week, every week, give up everything else in your life to do an experiment sort of intense) because I would without a doubt forego everything else in my life in order to gain results/make my PI happy.  So I'm keeping that in mind, especially with Rockefeller that has a super intense environment reputation.  But I won't be able to truly know until I show up there.  It's about knowing yourself and being able to make decisions based on that.

Just in case anyone thought they were having a bad day, I just received an email from USF's Cancer Bio program offering me an interview only to receive another email 10 minutes later telling me that they didn't mean to send that to me and I didn't get an interview :-)

Haven't really been keeping up with this year's application cycle, but anyone interviewing at Johns Hopkins SOM feel free to message me with any questions. I'm a 2nd year Immunology student, I'm done with qualifying exams and into my thesis research (more or less).

On 1/25/2016 at 0:53 PM, lord_dracarys said:

Has anybody heard from any of the following at all? They're the only ones I have yet to hear anything back from.

-Duke (MGM)

-University of Chicago (BSD)

-NYU Sackler

Got NYU Sackler invite December 22, interviewing 2nd weekend of February. I got no indication of which other applicants I would be interviewing with, so my impression is that they spread out their interviews.

1 hour ago, Caffeine Junky said:

Just in case anyone thought they were having a bad day, I just received an email from USF's Cancer Bio program offering me an interview only to receive another email 10 minutes later telling me that they didn't mean to send that to me and I didn't get an interview :-)

On note of bad days, I just came down with the flu and have to travel for an interview this Thurs.  Why, God, Why?! :'(

2 hours ago, Caffeine Junky said:

Oh dear lord..... I'm gonna drink this beer in your honor.

3 hours ago, tcmazer said:

Got accepted at Universtiy of Alabama at Birmingham's CMDB program!

Holy shit, I'm actually going to grad school.

Congrats! I reacted the same way when I got my first graduate school acceptance to University of the Incarnate Word MS Biology two weeks ago! Really exciting to go to the next phase in life! 

13 hours ago, SwimmerBio12 said:

Congrats! I reacted the same way when I got my first graduate school acceptance to University of the Incarnate Word MS Biology two weeks ago! Really exciting to go to the next phase in life! 

Thanks! And congrats!

22 hours ago, firmicutie said:

Got NYU Sackler invite December 22, interviewing 2nd weekend of February. I got no indication of which other applicants I would be interviewing with, so my impression is that they spread out their interviews.

Interviewed at Sackler Jan 14 weekend. Yes they have 2-3 waves of interviews. 

3 minutes ago, tcmazer said:

In case anyone was waiting on UNC Chapel Hill BBSP, I just called them and they let me know that they've sent out all their interviews. They might extend more if some people drop them.

:( I was afraid of that since I hadn't heard from them yet. thanks for the update though!

It is looking like a rejection from Notre Dame. It would have to take literally take a miracle to get an interview invite this late in the game. I'll have another crack two years from now after my masters when I apply for Ph.D. At least I am glad that for the first time ND opened applications for MS applicants this app cycle. I didn't think that I was able to apply to ND. I got very lucky that I was able to! 

Edited by SwimmerBio12

Does anyone know if Vanderbilt IGP has sent all the invitations or if they are still reviewing?

Did any international students get invitation from Vanderbilt? I saw one on the survey

Edited by Ash04

Just now, Effloresce said:

I got one on Monday, but I sent in my app on the deadline (Jan 15th).

Congratulations! I submitted mine before the priority deadline, I guess then its a rejection :(

Whoa. How may interviews are you guys doing per visit? I just got one of my schedules and I'm set up for 12 in one day... plus another over Skype with a faculty member who will be away during my recruitment weekend.

1 hour ago, cephnerd said:

Whoa. How may interviews are you guys doing per visit? I just got one of my schedules and I'm set up for 12 in one day... plus another over Skype with a faculty member who will be away during my recruitment weekend.

So 13? I'm exhausted for you.

1 hour ago, cephnerd said:

My Harvard one is scheduled for 12! That's what it says on the itinerary so who knows, as I don't have my faculty list yet. If that's true that's the entire department ha

5 hours ago, Ash04 said:

Does anyone know if Vanderbilt IGP has sent all the invitations or if they are still reviewing?

Did any international students get invitation from Vanderbilt? I saw one on the survey

I was told on Monday that they are still reviewing and sending out interviews and will be doing so for the next few weeks.