2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Infinito

12 minutes ago, MusMusculus said:

Does anyone have any insight on appeasing a professor who is grumpy that I will be missing several (8) classes due to interviews? None of my other professors care, and are instead just super happy because I go to a totally unknown school for science and managed to get interviews at great places. But this one professor has been rather unpleasant and expressed disbelief that my interviews take place outside of weekends and insinuated that I accepted too many interviews and would clearly not be strongly considering all of them and just want a free vacation, and has said that it will affect my grade but won't tell me how and just that I have to do twice as much work as everyone else to stay up to date. I'm fairly upset at this professor but have only responded super politely in fear of getting them more grumpy. Any else having any kind of similar issues?!  

I had a prof like this when I was interviewing. All I can say is ignore them - this is YOUR future. They're already have their PhD. It's unfortunate when profs aren't supportive (especially when you're having a successful application cycle). I ended up getting a B+ in the class from that prof but it didn't make much of a difference when I got all my acceptances. Good luck @MusMusculus! Work hard on your school work but make sure you do well on your interviews.

On 1/22/2016 at 3:21 PM, Gram Neutral said:

Well this is an odd string of events. I just got an interview invite to Notre Dame.

Congrats on the interview invite! I guess I just have to wait and see. Looks like there's still hope in the air for ND for at least one more week. Even if I don't get in, I am keeping an eye on UMich, but I am really curious about ND though. But if I do get an invite from ND, I get a chance to tour the school and see the program in person. If it is not meant to be for ND, it is not meant to be. I got other great grad schools too! Have fun!

Undergrad Institution: University of Washington, Seattle
Major(s): Electrical Enignerring
Minor(s):  
GPA in Major: 3.6
Overall GPA:  3.5
Position in Class: top 10%
Type of Student: non-native Asian

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 170
V: 147
W: 3.5

Research Experience:  worked in industry for 2 years as Physical Design Engineering, 16-nm tape out experience

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Dean's list most semesters,

Special Bonus Points: 
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:  
Applying to Where:

EE/ECE/EECS programs for the schools below, roughly in order of preference:

UC Berkeley (MEng)

UCSD (MS)

UCLA(MS)

UMich(MS)

University of Waterloo (MS)

University of Washington, Seattle (MS)

Not confident about myself...

I am waiting to hear from these three schools, although it may be too late, nevertheless: 

1. UCSD BIomedical sciences

2.UNC Chapel Hill-BBSP 

3. Baylor IMBS 

If anyone have any updates, please post :) 

1 hour ago, pm666 said:

I am waiting to hear from these three schools, although it may be too late, nevertheless: 

1. UCSD BIomedical sciences

2.UNC Chapel Hill-BBSP 

3. Baylor IMBS 

If anyone have any updates, please post :) 

I still haven't heard from BBSP either! I'm hoping they'll notify us tomorrow since they were supposed to be finished reviewing apps by the end of this past week.

14 minutes ago, YouCantBcereus said:

I still haven't heard from BBSP either! I'm hoping they'll notify us tomorrow since they were supposed to be finished reviewing apps by the end of this past week.

Yeah exactly, the administrator told me that all but a few interview invites will be sent by Friday...shoot me a msg if you hear news.. Keeping fingers crossed 

Hi all- I'm interviewing at Columbia Systems Biology (C2B2) this week, and this is the first of two interview weekends.  Does anyone know if programs like these

wait till after the second weekend to extend offers of admission?  Or is it a rolling process? Waiting is hard...

As a general plea, if anyone knows somebody who's interviewed at Columbia for this program and could connect me to him/her, I would really appreciate it :).

Good luck to everyone interviewing this week!

44 minutes ago, pm666 said:

Yeah exactly, the administrator told me that all but a few interview invites will be sent by Friday...shoot me a msg if you hear news.. Keeping fingers crossed 

Awesome! I'll pass the time preparing for the interviews I have come up. I'll let you know if/when I hear back, good luck to you too. They didn't happen to let you know which weekends they're planning to have the interviews did they?

22 minutes ago, goliath said:

Just a heads up, I recently learned it's an expectation to send thank you e-mails to the profs you interviewed with, at least that's what other interviewees told me

Yes, everyone should do that. Especially when you have two interview weekends. Always mention something specific which you'll spoke about in the interview (which reminds them of you), and say a thank you, and keep it short and sweet.

43 minutes ago, goliath said:

Just a heads up, I recently learned it's an expectation to send thank you e-mails to the profs you interviewed with, at least that's what other interviewees told me

Yup. Definitely do this. Give each interviewer a short and simple "thank you for your time," and make sure each email is slightly personalized. If something memorable happened during the interview, bring it up. Like for one of mine, my boyfriend's father was his attending. Small world!

1 hour ago, YouCantBcereus said:

Awesome! I'll pass the time preparing for the interviews I have come up. I'll let you know if/when I hear back, good luck to you too. They didn't happen to let you know which weekends they're planning to have the interviews did they?

Good luck!! No they didn't say, but I think they had one round of interviews already. So maybe they might reach out to more applicants, after they meet the first set of interviewees..lets see ?

Shiiit, just checked my alternate email and found out I had an interview invite waiting for 9 days. Ended up responding just now, I have interview conflicts so may not get to go, but if I do does anyone know if this would be detrimental to the decision?

7 minutes ago, daniolabtest said:

Shiiit, just checked my alternate email and found out I had an interview invite waiting for 9 days. Ended up responding just now, I have interview conflicts so may not get to go, but if I do does anyone know if this would be detrimental to the decision?

Yikes. This is why I created a new email specifically for applications. Do they offer alternate dates?

17 minutes ago, 123hardasABC said:

Yikes. This is why I created a new email specifically for applications. Do they offer alternate dates?

That was probably a good idea haha I can't stop thinking about how dumb I was about this...

They do have alternate dates though. I asked about them but I'm a bit concerned about the perception and availability. I guess I could foot the flights and hotel myself if it makes it possible to visit?