2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Infinito

16 minutes ago, Ferroportin said:

It just really hit me that I'm flying out to USC for my first interview tomorrow :wacko: I'm so nervous and jealous of everyone that already has offers under their belts!

One of my best friends from undergrad is on the welcoming committee there.  If what she says is true, and I am sure it is, then you have nothing to worry about.  They are just planning on spoiling you and convincing you to end up there.  Try to enjoy it and have some fun!  And hopefully they are getting a little more sun and a little less rain and gloom in LA than we are having up here in the bay!

2 hours ago, HopefulPHD14 said:

One of my best friends from undergrad is on the welcoming committee there.  If what she says is true, and I am sure it is, then you have nothing to worry about.  They are just planning on spoiling you and convincing you to end up there.  Try to enjoy it and have some fun!  And hopefully they are getting a little more sun and a little less rain and gloom in LA than we are having up here in the bay!

Ha LA is gloomy as hell these days, damn El Niño. I don't think all of my other interviews will have much sun either :( 

3 hours ago, 123hardasABC said:

Good luck! 

3 hours ago, HopefulPHD14 said:

Thanks for the encouragement! 

8 hours ago, political said:

Has anyone heard from Princeton QCB yet? According to the survey, they sent interviews around this time. 

@political I received an invite for Princeton QCB in mid-December. The visit is February 5th. All the best!

OMG ITS FINALLY HAPPENING! ACCEPTED TO WUSTL DBBS!!!!! :o:o:D:D

I actually can't believe my ears. Just got a call from my favorite POI congratulating me for getting in and hoping that i'd actually join and work in her lab. I am, then, actually going to go to graduate school this fall. I need to sit back and let this sink in completely :rolleyes:

Ahh such a confidence boost. I'll be heading to other interviews with such peace of mind that I have something in my pocket. Onto Yale now.

Edited by Microburritology

18 minutes ago, Microburritology said:

OMG ITS FINALLY HAPPENING! ACCEPTED TO WUSTL DBBS!!!!! :o:o:D:D

I actually can't believe my ears. Just got a call from my favorite POI congratulating me for getting in and hoping that i'd actually join and work in her lab. I am, then, actually going to go to graduate school this fall. I need to sit back and let this sink in completely :rolleyes:

Ahh such a confidence boost. I'll be heading to other interviews with such peace of mind that I have something in my pocket. Onto Yale now.

Wow congrats! Was that only a 4 day turnaround? 

Congrats everyone!

I just wanted to ask if i should give up hope already, i haven't gotten anything from all the programs i applied to which are :

Uconn (Microbiology) , UMass Amherst (MCB) and UVa (BIMS)

Already got a rejection from CSHL way earlier (in Dec)

I read that UVa already sent out invites so i should assume i'm getting a rejection soon? or is it still the 1st wave of interviews?

Since i'm an international student I highly doubt i will be invited to on-campus interviews.

Do you think there is still time and i'm not necessarily going to be rejected?

Thanks x

1 hour ago, geekmonkey said:

Congrats everyone!

I just wanted to ask if i should give up hope already, i haven't gotten anything from all the programs i applied to which are :

I read that UVa already sent out invites so i should assume i'm getting a rejection soon? or is it still the 1st wave of interviews?

Since i'm an international student I highly doubt i will be invited to on-campus interviews.

Thanks x

I got invited to UMass MCB before Christmas I believe, not sure about the other ones. They invited me to their interview weekend on Feb 5-6. Might reject the interview though.

2 hours ago, geekmonkey said:

Congrats everyone!

Thanks x

I applied to UConn for immunology and heard back about an interview for Feb 4th - 6th. As for UVA BIMS, I think it depends on the track? But immunology/micro/cancer bio have had two weekends I believe, but there's another in February as well.

36 minutes ago, Effloresce said:

I applied to UConn for immunology and heard back about an interview for Feb 4th - 6th. As for UVA BIMS, I think it depends on the track? But immunology/micro/cancer bio have had two weekends I believe, but there's another in February as well.

When did they email you for an interview?

Haven't been following things here as feverishly as I was while waiting to hear back about interviews, but I want to extend congratulations to those with acceptances starting to trickle in. I've got my first interview at the end of next week, then the pace picks up pretty damn fast from there. Best of luck to all!

8 hours ago, geekmonkey said:

Congrats everyone!

Thanks x

The first weekend interviewees for UVa, which was Jan 8th, got  some admissions offers today but there is still another interview weekend coming up.

8 hours ago, geekmonkey said:

Congrats everyone!

Thanks x

UVA just had an interview weekend and they have another one coming up next month (18th-20th). Since you're an international student they may still offer you a Skype interview, though I have no clue when they decide about that. I wouldn't give up hope yet! Especially since several schools have some sort of waitlist that they'll go to after interview weekends if needed :)

12 hours ago, Gram Neutral said:

Fun fact, some of you may remember I put the wrong school's name in one of my SOPs. Well, that school went on to offer me an interview, so never say never ha. 

Congrats! They're either really forgiving or they simply browse through sops...so comforting lol

2 hours ago, Immunolog said:

Congrats! They're either really forgiving or they simply browse through sops...so comforting lol

So I was indeed of the opinion that they actually don't have the time to read through your SOP..boy was I wrong. At least at WUSTL, atleast 3/5 PIs read through my SOP, and one PI said that she skimmed through the SOP, but she mainly utilized the resume's for an applicant's compact and detailed summary.

Nonetheless, so I walk into my first interview, and my PI said, "Oh nice to meet you. I was just telling Prof. xyz that I was blown away by your SOP. I'm really interested to learn about your experience working with Bt Cotton". And inside, I went, "You actually read my SOP?!" :lol::lol:

Edited by Microburritology

23 minutes ago, Microburritology said:

So I was indeed of the opinion that they actually don't have the time to read through your SOP..boy was I wrong. At least at WUSTL, atleast 3/5 PIs read through my SOP, and one PI said that she skimmed through the SOP, but she mainly utilized the resume's for an applicant's compact and detailed summary.

Nonetheless, so I walk into my first interview, and my PI said, "Oh nice to meet you. I was just telling Prof. xyz that I was blown away by your SOP. I'm really interested to learn about your experience working with Bt Cotton". And inside, I went, "You actually read my SOP?!" :lol::lol:

Haha. My mistake was the very last line of a 3ish page SOP. I'm wondering if they just skipped the conclusion because it wasn't anything new. I'm wondering if a professor will rip on me(in a joking way) for that during the interview. The schools are both in the same city too...so that made it even worse.