MFA 2016 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

17 minutes ago, EXISTE said:

Hi everyone.

I couldnt submit my application at Yale because an error on the system. First I had it with the video, and now with the portfolio, which I uploaded it twice. Anyone with a similar case?

Best

You have one or more items in your portfolio that have not yet completed processing.

You're not the only one!! Mines is saying that that I may only list three recommenders. Tried deleting the extra one that I didn't actually send out, but it want delete. Not sure what to do honestly. Just got done emailing the Senior Admission person at Yale, maybe others are having the same problems.... 

7 minutes ago, AKW94 said:

You're not the only one!! Mines is saying that that I may only list three recommenders. Tried deleting the extra one that I didn't actually send out, but it want delete. Not sure what to do honestly. Just got done emailing the Senior Admission person at Yale, maybe others are having the same problems.... 

Second year in a row with errors ... ha - one extra week to apply

going to bed. 

Edited by EXISTE

16 hours ago, MrBixler said:

I've not seen your work nor have I read your statements, but you presence on this forum and your generosity, sharing useful information, lead me to believe that you are an exceptional candidate. Surely you will have a difficult time choosing from the multiple offers you will receive. 

Oh thanks! I hope same! Good luck to you! 

8 hours ago, AKW94 said:

You have to check 'exclude' on the recommendation.  This happened to me.

Yep, I pressed exclude! That's the only way you can delete the extra recommendation. I'm over it, Yale application has expired now, deadline passed... :mellow:  *waves goodbye*

3 hours ago, BlCEO said:

You have to check 'exclude' on the recommendation.  This happened to me.

11 hours ago, EXISTE said:

Second year in a row with errors ... ha - one extra week to apply

going to bed. 

Did you get contacted by anyone form admissions yet..

52 minutes ago, AKW94 said:

Did you get contacted by anyone form admissions yet..

They said they received the portfolio.

But I am still getting the same message .... I uploaded the portfolio again and still not working

On 11/8/2015 at 4:07 PM, AKW94 said:

I live in Milwaukee and I don't recommend UW-Milwaukee. Try looking into UW-Madison, they have  excellent MFA program and pretty generous with aid. Please do share your experience, I  would love to hear more about UPENN and UChicago MFA programs. Applying to UPENN, thinking of UChicago....

Well, it's a little late in the game to be replying to this, but I really liked Penn and after hearing some slightly improved news about their funding prospects, I will be applying. The campus is beautiful, the studios are pretty communal but most of them have nice lighting and enough space to work without feeling too cramped (unless you are making multi-story sculptures/installations or something). The gallery spaces are pretty durn nice and the grad trip/study abroad opportunities seem fairly plentiful. The MFA shows are often held internationally in places like Berlin, etc. Crazy!

UChicago was a nice school; I didn't check out a lot of the campus but the Logan Center is brand-new and super-spiffy with crazy facilities, especially for sculpture. Their funding was around 75% if I remember correctly. I have decided not to apply, but it is definitely a good program to consider. :)

On a side note, heard from OSU today for a phone interview and I'm terrified! I thought I had at least a month of worrying before starting to hear back from any places.

Hope everyone's applications are going well!

29 minutes ago, gtakaoka said:

On a side note, heard from OSU today for a phone interview

Dude, that's AMAZING. Congratulations! Wasn't their deadline basically a week ago?!

40 minutes ago, Relm said:

Dude, that's AMAZING. Congratulations! Wasn't their deadline basically a week ago?!

Thank you!! Honestly though, my brain is trying to tell me that it's too good to be true and it's probably just a formality that happens with everyone, or they're just calling me up to tell me I'm an idiot. I went back through the dimensions/descriptions that I wrote when I posted everything to Slideroom (I just copied all of the info into a separate document for quick reference on later apps) and I had a LOT of stupid little mistakes in the dimensions. I couldn't decide whether to email about it or not, because it could either solve the problem or draw unnecessary attention to the errors...so I did not email and now I'm a little nervous. We'll see, though! I'll report back after the interview, haha.

What do you mean? I haven't herd anything questionable about their funding, they appear to be generous...? Yeah, UPenn program is unique in terms of it engaging itself with the international art scene.  Honestly I'm just so sick of America, I just wanna see other places to be honest.  Thank you for responding also!!

Congrats on OSU!

4 hours ago, gtakaoka said:

Well, it's a little late in the game to be replying to this, but I really liked Penn and after hearing some slightly improved news about their funding prospects, I will be applying. The campus is beautiful, the studios are pretty communal but most of them have nice lighting and enough space to work without feeling too cramped (unless you are making multi-story sculptures/installations or something). The gallery spaces are pretty durn nice and the grad trip/study abroad opportunities seem fairly plentiful. The MFA shows are often held internationally in places like Berlin, etc. Crazy!

UChicago was a nice school; I didn't check out a lot of the campus but the Logan Center is brand-new and super-spiffy with crazy facilities, especially for sculpture. Their funding was around 75% if I remember correctly. I have decided not to apply, but it is definitely a good program to consider. :)

On a side note, heard from OSU today for a phone interview and I'm terrified! I thought I had at least a month of worrying before starting to hear back from any places.

Hope everyone's applications are going well!

3 hours ago, AKW94 said:

What do you mean? I haven't herd anything questionable about their funding, they appear to be generous...? Yeah, UPenn program is unique in terms of it engaging itself with the international art scene.  Honestly I'm just so sick of America, I just wanna see other places to be honest.  Thank you for responding also!!

Congrats on OSU!

I guess I got my weird impression of their funding when I toured the school. Two current grads showed me around and when I asked about the funding situation, their response was "not good", which was of course unsettling since without funding the annual tuition is astronomical. Maybe I misunderstood, or they didn't get a great funding offer :-0.

19 hours ago, gtakaoka said:

Honestly though, my brain is trying to tell me that it's too good to be true and it's probably just a formality that happens with everyone, or they're just calling me up to tell me I'm an idiot. I went back through the dimensions/descriptions that I wrote when I posted everything to Slideroom (I just copied all of the info into a separate document for quick reference on later apps) and I had a LOT of stupid little mistakes in the dimensions. I couldn't decide whether to email about it or not, because it could either solve the problem or draw unnecessary attention to the errors...so I did not email and now I'm a little nervous. We'll see, though! I'll report back after the interview, haha.

Your brain needs to stop it (: They wouldn't spend their time setting up and holding an interview to tell you you're an idiot. And from what I gather, they receive somewhere around 150-200 applications a year; they're not interviewing everyone. (They'd have to have a staff member whose full-time job it is to talk to applicants and make reports on those conversations for literally a month straight.)

As for the dimension mistakes, if they ask you about it, set them straight. I personally wouldn't sweat it otherwise. The only reason I'd bring it up is if the difference between what you wrote and what they are would significantly change their perception/understanding of your work. (But you said they were small mistakes, so I'm guessing that's not the case.)

2 hours ago, Relm said:

Your brain needs to stop it (: They wouldn't spend their time setting up and holding an interview to tell you you're an idiot. And from what I gather, they receive somewhere around 150-200 applications a year; they're not interviewing everyone. (They'd have to have a staff member whose full-time job it is to talk to applicants and make reports on those conversations for literally a month straight.)

As for the dimension mistakes, if they ask you about it, set them straight. I personally wouldn't sweat it otherwise. The only reason I'd bring it up is if the difference between what you wrote and what they are would significantly change their perception/understanding of your work. (But you said they were small mistakes, so I'm guessing that's not the case.)

Holy hellfire, 150-200?! Well, I feel a bit better now. The dimension differences, in most cases, things that they would recognize as mistakes because they make absolutely no sense when compared to the image (like, a shot of an installation that spans an entire gallery, but the dimensions say that it's one foot tall instead of eleven :-0). I will see what they say and clarify if needed. Maybe they didn't even notice...Thankfully I did two installations in that gallery and put the correct dimensions on at least one set of the images. Oy vey and lesson learned: quadruple check them numbers!

Hey, an FYI for those of you who want to freak out with updated statistics: looks like the College Art Association has updated their (free!) graduate school profiles with admission numbers from last year's application cycle.* You can download up to 20 individual programs' PDFs at once. Most places list the number of applications received and the number accepted. https://services.collegeart.org/eweb/DynamicPage.aspx?WebCode=CAA_Dir_IndEntries

* Some schools' numbers of applied/accepted are the exact same as the previous edition (but the admission cycle year has been updated), which I find a little suspect, but a good number of the ones I've downloaded have changed. Also, the stats also don't always line up with Peterson's, for some reason.

First time applying to Grad school, masters in art therapy.  some general questions.  As the bottom of this says "submit reply" am I asking my questions in the right place? 

Resume 1 page or 2 ok?  Portfolio upload, does it need to be professionally shot?, sculpture/pottery, thown or hand sculpted?  What is the interview and practical like?  Any info welcome.  Any definite no no's...  if this info is already posted somewhere, let me know. Thanks

6 hours ago, southbound said:

First time applying to Grad school, masters in art therapy.  some general questions.  As the bottom of this says "submit reply" am I asking my questions in the right place? 

Resume 1 page or 2 ok?  Portfolio upload, does it need to be professionally shot?, sculpture/pottery, thown or hand sculpted?  What is the interview and practical like?  Any info welcome.  Any definite no no's...  if this info is already posted somewhere, let me know. Thanks

Hey there southbound -- this thread is pretty much MFA candidates, not so much art therapy. Your questions probably won't get seen by the right people since they're buried in here. (Absolutely no idea how helpful our advice would be for art therapy applications.)

Try starting a new thread in the Visual forum and use "art therapy" in the title so it's more visible to relevant people. You can also search the forums to see if others have asked similar questions before (there's a search box at the top of the website, and you can limit by forum). Good luck!

I wonder when we'll start hearing back.. I ended up applying to only four schools which is making me really anxious. I'm confident in my work but I'm very unsure about whether there's space for work like mine in the west or not. I try to tell myself that having had my work chosen to be exhibited in one of the British Museum's galleries and the Venice Biennial are good indicators that my photographs can cross over, still I'm anxious I guess.