MFA 2016 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

33 minutes ago, Relm said:

Did anyone else just get an out-of-the-blue email acceptance to SVA's visual narrative MFA? I did -- twice (one to my artist email, one to gmail) -- and I NEVER APPLIED THERE. Either this is a huge-ass mistake... or else they're really, really desperate ?

I was actually JUST about to post this! Same program and everything... I submitted an "interest" survey in November when I was looking at MFA programs, but never ended up applying to SVA.  I'm so glad I'm not the only one, my first thought was definitely that they must not have had any applicants if they're accepting me no questions asked!

On March 9, 2016 at 7:38 PM, acmes said:

Me too!!! I just emailed admissions (from their website) to find out what is going on. I started an application to a different SVA program in the fall, but only got as far as my name, address, and email.  

Just got this reply. 

"This afternoon you received an email from our Admissions office congratulating you on your acceptance to the MFA Visual Narrative program at SVA. This email was sent in error due to a database glitch and we apologize for any confusion this might have caused. 

If you have applied to the MFA Visual Narrative program, you will be contacted separately about your application. 

With sincere apologies, 
Yoi Tanaka Gayler
Director of Admissions"

21 hours ago, Relm said:

Did anyone else just get an out-of-the-blue email acceptance to SVA's visual narrative MFA? I did -- twice (one to my artist email, one to gmail) -- and I NEVER APPLIED THERE. Either this is a huge-ass mistake... or else they're really, really desperate ?

I work at SVA, the admissions department made a mistake apparently. Just disregard!!

On 4/21/2016 at 5:12 PM, aboutdreamingbig said:

Hey guys,

Do you think it is possible to live from $1000 a month in Chicago? When I calculated everything in with all the student jobs and fees that I would have to pay, I realised that I will be left with $1000 per month. I am not sure if this is enough money for living. Please help!

Thanks,

Ana

A bit of a late reply, but it is definitely doable, especially if you live with roommates. You might even be able to find a cheap studio/one bedroom in a neighborhood like Pilsen (close to UIC) if living by yourself is a priority.

On 4/30/2016 at 10:28 PM, sylviecerise said:

A bit of a late reply, but it is definitely doable, especially if you live with roommates. You might even be able to find a cheap studio/one bedroom in a neighborhood like Pilsen (close to UIC) if living by yourself is a priority.

Thank you so much :)

• 2 weeks later...
On April 4, 2016 at 11:57 PM, paintandspackle said:

Congrats on the accpetances! I got into mt. royal and hoffberger at MICA a few years back, and really wanted to go, but didn't get offered any funding.  If I were you I'd go to MICA, and ask them for more money, seems like the most well rounded program of the three, especially if you're a painter.  I have friends in NYC who went to SAIC, and they all say it's good but too much of a factory, the classes are huge and the facilities and personal attention that they give you at MICA are way better.  Just my two cents

I am current studio art/low residency at MICA. I love it. Lots of help/attention at every turn. State of the art facilities. Moving there so I can use facilities/attend lectures full time. Great school. 

On March 30, 2016 at 4:18 PM, hypoart said:

Is there anyone out there who has visited UT Austin?  Would you be willing to tell me about their facilities (i.e. grad studios, are they off campus?).

I visited in 2014, not impressed with facilities. It was small, and a current student told me they were doing away with traditional sculpture/metals equipment. The price, however, is right. 

On March 31, 2016 at 4:07 PM, trapnado said:

Accepted to Carnegie Mellon via email. 

On March 27, 2016 at 2:23 PM, bilibili_chan said:

Hi Everyone! This is my first post. This forum is extremely helpful through my application process. Now, I am struggling among three offers: Upenn, MICA (Mount Royal), SAIC(painting). I prefer SAIC painting, but I don't get dean scholarship. They still let me wait for their final funding decision... I am an international student and the financial support is really limited. I really doubt if it is worth to investigate this much $$$ for MFA degree. MICA waves me 1/3 tuition fee. Even if it is not a lot, it is better than nothing. I might just decline offer from Upenn (very poor funding...). Anyone can give me a suggestion: MICA or SAIC?? Thanks a lot! 

MICA is fantastic, love it here.

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats to everyone on acceptances!

Just wanted to post a note about cost, in case it's helpful for anyone applying next year. NYU's ticket price is really high (and they don't offer financial aid based on income like Yale), but every student automatically gets a 50% off scholarship. Got my financial aid information today, and looks like I'll be paying ~11k per semester. A good option to consider if you're looking at public schools like Hunter or Brooklyn College...ends up costing you about the same!