MFA 2016 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

7 hours ago, AKW94 said:

I have, just waiting on the final word regarding funding. 

Ah, okay. So just to clarify, you've received some sort of communication via email or otherwise with a funding offer? Just making sure that's what you meant :)

Yep, that's what I meant!

2 hours ago, gtakaoka said:

Ah, okay. So just to clarify, you've received some sort of communication via email or otherwise with a funding offer? Just making sure that's what you meant :)

Hi I am new here! Great forum by the way. I have got admission in American University and Indiana University Bloomington for graduate study in Arts Management. As an international student I know DC has great internship opportunities and the program of IUB allows students to choose various courses in both business school and media school. Could anyone give some advice when selecting between AU and IUB?

Anyone on here get into RISD painting and not going?

Also does anyone have an opinion on UPenn? I was accepted and seems like a good program but the funding offer is dismal and I'm poor. 

Edited by paintandspackle

On March 27, 2016 at 3:23 PM, bilibili_chan said:

Hi Everyone! This is my first post. This forum is extremely helpful through my application process. Now, I am struggling among three offers: Upenn, MICA (Mount Royal), SAIC(painting). I prefer SAIC painting, but I don't get dean scholarship. They still let me wait for their final funding decision... I am an international student and the financial support is really limited. I really doubt if it is worth to investigate this much $$$ for MFA degree. MICA waves me 1/3 tuition fee. Even if it is not a lot, it is better than nothing. I might just decline offer from Upenn (very poor funding...). Anyone can give me a suggestion: MICA or SAIC?? Thanks a lot! 

Congrats on the accpetances! I got into mt. royal and hoffberger at MICA a few years back, and really wanted to go, but didn't get offered any funding.  If I were you I'd go to MICA, and ask them for more money, seems like the most well rounded program of the three, especially if you're a painter.  I have friends in NYC who went to SAIC, and they all say it's good but too much of a factory, the classes are huge and the facilities and personal attention that they give you at MICA are way better.  Just my two cents

9 minutes ago, paintandspackle said:

Anyone on here get into RISD painting and not going?

Also does anyone have an opinion on UPenn? I was accepted and seems like a good program but the funding offer is dismal and I'm poor. 

I'm also very poor!! The funding is not so good otherwise the program seems amazing!  

On March 31, 2016 at 0:15 PM, Tjarrells said:

Hey, so I'm looking for a little advice. I have been offered acceptance into Tyler School of Art and Ohio State University for painting. Tyler is my top pick but they are a two year program and they are offering 50% tuition with stipend. Ohio State is three years and are offering a full ride with stipend for the whole three years. Any thoughts? 

go to Tyler... its worth it.   Don't make decisions based on money.  Tyler is a really great program, I'm sure you already know that.  All you guys turning down great schools for fear of loans gotta prioritize, just my 2 cents.

Hi, followed this forum for quite a while and found plenty of helpful comments here.Need to take the decision between MICA Rinehart and Parsons. Will be glad to get any opinion on where to go perspective the quality of MFA program of these schools.

7 hours ago, Alment said:

go to Tyler... its worth it.   Don't make decisions based on money.  Tyler is a really great program, I'm sure you already know that.  All you guys turning down great schools for fear of loans gotta prioritize, just my 2 cents.

True,I think it comes down to the person and what they want out of a program. And how they feel about $$. I don't think someone should solely decline a program based on funding. But school just keeps getting so expensive. I think people should realize there are great programs for art at less expensive/ lesser known but great programs-Jerry saltz had a good article on it a few years ago. That's my lens though. 

7 hours ago, Alment said:

I understand what you are saying, but I work at Art University in NYC and honestly having that amount of debt with an MFA is not wortht it. Many of my coworkers are Yale, Tyler, MICA,  MFA grads and they are making the same as I do ( 40k a year), but with 100k plus in debt. They have to work full time jobs and don't have time to make work as they are so focused on paying back their debt. 

MFAs are a great degree, but it's not a guaranteed money maker. Be smart and don't put yourself in a bad position for the future. Just my two cents!!

2 minutes ago, Elizard said:

I understand what you are saying, but I work at Art University in NYC and honestly having that amount of debt with an MFA is not wortht it. Many of my coworkers are Yale, Tyler, MICA,  MFA grads and they are making the same as I do ( 40k a year), but with 100k plus in debt. They have to work full time jobs and don't have time to make work as they are so focused on paying back their debt. 

MFAs are a great degree, but it's not a guaranteed money maker. Be smart and don't put yourself in a bad position for the future. Just my two cents!!

Either way is fine. Do what's best for the work. So much dialog about what the BEST thing is. There is no such thing. 

@scaredapplicant @oneagain Thought you guys might be interested- So I called Columbia admissions to find out more about the waitlisting process, and they said when a space opens up, the faculty goes through the waitlist and re-evaluates each applicant to see who would be a good fit. I tried asking her around how many spaces open up based on previous years but she didn't know (she seemed a bit clueless and had to keep putting me on hold to ask other people), and that people will be contacted as spaces open up all the way up to August.

Okay just speaking from personal experience.  I went to tyler and basically all the grads got 3/4 semesters paid for through TAing, they also received stipends for it.  Its not really that much debt and if its someones dream school I think its worth it.  Either way you usually end up paying money even if its just loans for cost of living and the philadelphia cost of living is pretty low.  

Jerry Saltz is one of my idols.  He knows you don't have to go to a well-known program to succeed but still recognizes the fact that things might be easier for  you if you decide to.  I think ultimately Jerry Saltz knows how many MFAs don't end up doing anything at all so yeah, that wouldn't be worth the loan.  

I think its always a good idea to take the opportunities you want to :) 

On 3/31/2016 at 10:30 AM, icw said:

No I have not. Have you? did your interview go well? I don't think I will hear from them for at least another week or two

I ended up hearing back from them and was surprisingly accepted!

You should probably hear back from them soon too.

14 hours ago, Alment said:

I understand that money isn't everything, but the difference in funding between Tyler and OSU is very sizable. Tyler wants me to pay $15000 for the first year and is offering a $7500 a year stipend.  OSU is offering $15000 plus a full tuition scholarship for all three years. I know Tyler's reputation but their stipend isn't even enough to pay living expenses. I would need supplemental income. I've told Tyler what OSU is offering. If they can give me a full TA that's where I'll go. Otherwise I am doing OSU. It's a fine program with a lot of funding opportunities. I really appreciate your input though. I agree, sometimes you should take on the loans for great program. For me though, the risks outweigh the gain in this instance. 

Edited by Tjarrells

6 hours ago, Alment said:

Okay just speaking from personal experience.  I went to tyler and basically all the grads got 3/4 semesters paid for through TAing, they also received stipends for it.  Its not really that much debt and if its someones dream school I think its worth it.  Either way you usually end up paying money even if its just loans for cost of living and the philadelphia cost of living is pretty low.  

Jerry Saltz is one of my idols.  He knows you don't have to go to a well-known program to succeed but still recognizes the fact that things might be easier for  you if you decide to.  I think ultimately Jerry Saltz knows how many MFAs don't end up doing anything at all so yeah, that wouldn't be worth the loan.  

I think its always a good idea to take the opportunities you want to :) 

So true. Yeah that's just how I feel. I'm an anti student loan guy. If you cannot tell. I wouldn't want to sway someone from their dream by telling them loans are an issue. In the end I think each person makes the best decision by making up their own minds about school. Even if it's MICA-if that's where they wanna go they should do it.