MFA 2016 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

4 hours ago, Thranduil said:

I ended up hearing back from them and was surprisingly accepted!

You should probably hear back from them soon too.

Well I probably was not accepted then.i haven't heard anything. That's okay- that phone interview was awful. I couldn't make that interview-flights are ridiculous. Congrats I am sure you are gonna do great there if that is what you end doing in the fall

Hi everyone, new here!

What are your thoughts on SAIC vs Goldsmiths?

I'm from South America, so I would be international in any of the schools.

Thank you!

On 1/4/2016 at 2:07 PM, lmo said:

Just got an email that I'm waitlisted at NYU. If anyone is planning on declining admission, please do so! Really like this program.

E-mailed MaryAnn and she said she doesn't have any waitlist ranking info yet, but will let me know when she does.

@lmo Also waitlisted at NYU. Did you have any news this week?

They seem not to have a ranking, and choose from the waitlist by discipline i.e. if someone working in painting declines, they will fill that spot with someone else painting.

Edited by baai

13 minutes ago, baai said:

Also waitlisted at NYU. Did you have any news this week?

They seem not to have a ranking, and choose from the waitlist by discipline i.e. if someone working in painting declines, they will fill that spot with someone else painting.

yayy hi friend! Nice to know someone else is in the same boat.

My impression was that they don't rank as well, but reevaluate everyone for optimal group dynamic. I would be surprised if they did it by media, though--painters are definitely over-represented in their current first-year class. What kind of work do you do? I'm a painter. 

Haven't heard anything yet. Will definitely let you know if I do. Do you have any sense of timeline? It seems like last year people heard pretty late (June-ish), but I'm hoping for sooner!!

29 minutes ago, lmo said:

yayy hi friend! Nice to know someone else is in the same boat.

My impression was that they don't rank as well, but reevaluate everyone for optimal group dynamic. I would be surprised if they did it by media, though--painters are definitely over-represented in their current first-year class. What kind of work do you do? I'm a painter. 

Haven't heard anything yet. Will definitely let you know if I do. Do you have any sense of timeline? It seems like last year people heard pretty late (June-ish), but I'm hoping for sooner!!

Hi!! Yes, good to be in touch with you :)

I work in sculpture.

From last year forum I gathered the same as you...I was admitted at SAIC and Goldsmiths, and the deadline for SAIC is April 15th. I emailed MaryAnn about this, and she said they will try to let me know before this, so yes, hopefully sooner than June! This is my first year applying, I don't really get how it works, but everyone evaluates their options until April 15th, right? 

I will definitely let you know if I have any news! 

18 hours ago, baai said:

Hi!! Yes, good to be in touch with you :)

I work in sculpture.

From last year forum I gathered the same as you...I was admitted at SAIC and Goldsmiths, and the deadline for SAIC is April 15th. I emailed MaryAnn about this, and she said they will try to let me know before this, so yes, hopefully sooner than June! This is my first year applying, I don't really get how it works, but everyone evaluates their options until April 15th, right? 

I will definitely let you know if I have any news! 

Congrats on your admissions!!

Yeah, the universal (at least in the US) response date is April 15, so schools should know by then, at least roughly, how many open spots they still have. I'm guessing the committees meet again soon after that for waitlist offers. 

On Monday, I'm hearing back from a job interview I just had, so I'm hoping we get a little more information by then...seems unlikely though. 

On 3/30/2016 at 9:54 AM, lmo said:

My friend emailed Brooklyn College on Friday, and they responded saying it takes 6 weeks to determine...meaning she was still 2 weeks out. Hope it's sooner!

Have you/your friend heard anything? I was thinking about calling again, but i dont want to annoy them. 

Hi everyone-do any of you have advice/experience yet with declining a school's offer in a respectful way? schools are overseas so I will most likely email instead of call but wondering if anyone has advice about wording and if you should give them something detailed or keep it short and to the point? (For example did you include anything about forwarding thanks to your interviewees or mention it was a hard decision?) feel free to PM me if you'd be willing to share anything- I would greatly appreciate it! Getting a bit nervous to bite the bullet  :/ thank you!

15 minutes ago, Elizard said:

Have you/your friend heard anything? I was thinking about calling again, but i dont want to annoy them. 

Yeah, she found out she got in last night. I'd call if you haven't heard!

20 hours ago, hypoart said:

is there anyone deciding to go to MassArt?  Considering going but would have a hefty amount of loan debt (100k)...

Thats a lot of debt :( I would definitely make sure you're making the right decision before going.  Hopefully you had the opportunity to visit!

I was in Boston last year, I know someone who went and didn't think it was the best investment they could have made.  They left and applied elsewhere.  It's different for everyone of course!  

I didn't visit the studios but I did visit campus for a Wangechi Mutu lecture, it was pretty great!  The students seemed involved. Otherwise, who can say. 

Edited by Alment

15 minutes ago, Alment said:

Thats a lot of debt :( I would definitely make sure you're making the right decision before going.  Hopefully you had the opportunity to visit!

I was in Boston last year, I know someone who went and didn't think it was the best investment they could have made.  They left and applied elsewhere.  It's different for everyone of course!  

I didn't visit the studios but I did visit campus for a Wangechi Mutu lecture, it was pretty great!  The students seemed involved. Otherwise, who can say. 

Hmm, thanks for your insight.  I didn't have the opportunity to visit :(  

What makes things more complicated is that I'd have to do post-bac prior to the MFA program. 

This decision making is difficult.  

1 hour ago, hypoart said:

Hmm, thanks for your insight.  I didn't have the opportunity to visit :(  

What makes things more complicated is that I'd have to do post-bac prior to the MFA program. 

This decision making is difficult.  

I think post-baccs can be worth it.  Taking the post-bacc and using the time to make a kick-ass portfolio for other grad programs is an option. 

1 hour ago, Alment said:

I think post-baccs can be worth it.  Taking the post-bacc and using the time to make a kick-ass portfolio for other grad programs is an option. 

Something I've definitely thought about.  But then the one in the hand, two in the bush perspective kicks in!

Up late at night crunching numbers...a thought: at what sum does a large debt make more sense for a person to incur if factoring in public service loan forgiveness vs actually paying off the loans in standard fashion? 

I'm not sure if I'm understanding everything correctly but these are some numbers that I received for the "pay as you earn" plan with 40k debt at 5.84% interest and a job earning 30,000: 

240 payments (20 years)

Initial payment $302

Final payment $401

Projected loan forgiveness: $30,849

Total amount paid: $54,638

Now the same PAYE plan with 120k debt at the same percentage and same job earnings: 

240 payments (20 years)

Initial payment $302

Final payment $401

Projected loan forgiveness $204,562

Total amount paid: $54,638

Given the above, what would be the advantage of taking the smaller debt?  Am I a complete oaf who doesn't understand math/finances?

Edited by hypoart

7 hours ago, aboutdreamingbig said:

Guys, I have been accepted at UIC at Chicago MFA program. I didn't have interview and I don't know much about the program. Anybody here know something about this progar. Please help!

I attended the accepted students event last weekend. You can message me any specific questions you have. I applied bc of the program's focus on social justice and conceptualism. 

13 hours ago, coolpseudonym said:

I attended the accepted students event last weekend. You can message me any specific questions you have. I applied bc of the program's focus on social justice and conceptualism. 

Hi, thanks. I sure will :)

Does anyone know how much stipend you get per month to be a TA at Stanford, UC San Diego, UC Irvine, and UC Santa Barbara? (MFA studio art; assuming you get free tuition)

On 4/6/2016 at 11:28 AM, baai said:

Hi everyone, new here!

What are your thoughts on SAIC vs Goldsmiths?

I'm from South America, so I would be international in any of the schools.

Thank you!

i picked Goldsmiths

Edited by rlinrlinrlin
better

4 hours ago, AllArt said:

Does anyone know how much stipend you get per month to be a TA at Stanford, UC San Diego, UC Irvine, and UC Santa Barbara? (MFA studio art; assuming you get free tuition)

They all structure their TA programs differently. From what I understand all UC's have a similar pay grade for it though, some schools offer only one type of TA ship, others offer a variety. They range from 25-50% TAships which dictates the amount of hours you're working a week. It seems to come out to about $600-2000/month depending on the school and hours. You can call and ask all these institutions how they structure it though. Are you looking at all these schools or just gathering info on it?