MFA 2016 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

2 minutes ago, cpw0021 said:

Did you apply for the fellowship, too!? Awesome, I was beginning to lose hope! 

Your work is lovely, by the way!

Oh no, I didn't! I'm not from the South, so just applied for the general residency. From the timeline on their site it looks like they interview everyone around the same time, though maybe Southern Constellations & Miami Goes Elsewhere are prioritized since those residencies will are this summer.

Thank you! :) Congrats on getting in UCI, it seems like a really great program! Definitely on my list for Fall 2017 applications.

4 minutes ago, wllstwrt said:

For anyone on the Columbia wait list, I declined my offer to Columbia yesterday. I was accepted for sculpture. So I can say for sure that at least one spot is now open! 

thanks for letting us know. Haven't heard anything from them at all... When did you get your acceptance call?

1 hour ago, scaredapplicant said:

thanks for letting us know. Haven't heard anything from them at all... When did you get your acceptance call?

I interviewed on March 4th at 11pm, they sent me an acceptance email on March 5th, and I then received a phone call on March 7th at 8am, from one of the faculty members that interviewed me, to further confirm.

27 minutes ago, wllstwrt said:

I interviewed on March 4th at 11pm, they sent me an acceptance email on March 5th, and I then received a phone call on March 7th at 8am, from one of the faculty members that interviewed me, to further confirm.

Thanks @wllstwrt!  Sorry we're such a bunch of basket cases :)

I still haven't heard back from SAIC and the interview was a month ago. Should I assume rejection? Is anyone else in this boat? 

I'm getting my MFA in creative nonfiction writing. I was accepted to a small private school in Ca with a pretty solid reputation. I got my financial aid package today, though. They gave me a scholarship but it only covers 25% of tuition so I'll have to pay like $18,000 my first year and then reapply for scholarships for my second year. They also gave me a fellowship where I'll lead writing workshops for all undergraduate students that visit the writing center. I'll have to take additional courses my first semester, tutor one-on-one my second semester, then teach 6 writing workshops my second year. During the first year, I'll only make $2,000 during second semester and $10,000 during the second year. It will require roughly 15 hours/ week. I was also accepted to Columbia University with a 25% tuition scholarship (not going) and UNCW with zero funding. Should I just reapply to schools next year? Feeling pretty defeated right now. :-/

Hi everyone, would like your advice. I got through the following courses for this fall but I am not able to decide which is the best given the choices : 

1. CCA : Mdes Interaction Design 

2. Parsons : MFA Design and Tech

3. CCS : MFA integrated design

4. IIT : Masters in Design 

Any thoughts? 

Thanks in advance!

23 hours ago, oneagain said:

I'm on the spring waitlist like everyone else.  

My interview felt strange in the way that others have already expressed.  My interviewers were pretty upfront with the fact that if I went there I'd struggle with finding other people who are interested in the issues I'm dealing with or the work I'm making.  This was already obvious to me based on what was at open studios the previous night.  That, and the program seems structured to be an extension of undergrad, but for people in their mid-20s.  In general, they seem to cater to young painters who are figuring out how to move to NY on the cheap.  In any case, not for me!

Thanks for the reply!

I agree with many of the things you said, my interviewers also told me I would also struggle finding others interested in the concepts I'm dealing with in my work. I also found the work during open studios a bit limited in medium? I didn't see as much variety as I would have liked to see...If you don't mind, could I ask you one more question? What aspects of the program made you think it seems structured to be an extension of undergrad? I'm trying to decide if I want to go, but it's being really difficult to make up my mind.

20 minutes ago, junie said:

Thanks for the reply!

I agree with many of the things you said, my interviewers also told me I would also struggle finding others interested in the concepts I'm dealing with in my work. I also found the work during open studios a bit limited in medium? I didn't see as much variety as I would have liked to see...If you don't mind, could I ask you one more question? What aspects of the program made you think it seems structured to be an extension of undergrad? I'm trying to decide if I want to go, but it's being really difficult to make up my mind.

I guess the biggest deal breaker for me is that there's no visiting artist program, which means the faculty you get is the faculty you get.  They have occasional lecturers, but nowhere near the amount that similar programs in NY have.  For painting, you have a lot of faculty to choose from, but for photo/media my options were way more limited.  I didn't want to find myself in a situation where I was isolated in the work I was making, without the support of faculty.

Other than that, there's the amount of coursework involved, including art history classes each semester.  I have a solid foundation in art history, so it's not something I felt I needed.  The "seminar" classes are straight out of undergrad teaching as well, whereas other schools would instead host group critiques etc.  Their target demographic is a lot younger than a lot of the other east coast schools, so I think they structured around helping new artists get their bearing, rather than fostering graduate-level work.

I think it's probably a great program for certain kinds of painters and certain kinds of sculptors, but if you're making work that's less production-based, maybe not.

41 minutes ago, oneagain said:

I guess the biggest deal breaker for me is that there's no visiting artist program, which means the faculty you get is the faculty you get.  They have occasional lecturers, but nowhere near the amount that similar programs in NY have.  For painting, you have a lot of faculty to choose from, but for photo/media my options were way more limited.  I didn't want to find myself in a situation where I was isolated in the work I was making, without the support of faculty.

Other than that, there's the amount of coursework involved, including art history classes each semester.  I have a solid foundation in art history, so it's not something I felt I needed.  The "seminar" classes are straight out of undergrad teaching as well, whereas other schools would instead host group critiques etc.  Their target demographic is a lot younger than a lot of the other east coast schools, so I think they structured around helping new artists get their bearing, rather than fostering graduate-level work.

I think it's probably a great program for certain kinds of painters and certain kinds of sculptors, but if you're making work that's less production-based, maybe not.

Ah, I see. Thanks a lot for your input, it really helps me in making a decision. I can see how resources would be especially limiting for people who aren't working with painting. I hope you're able to go to the program of your choice this year!

3 hours ago, junie said:

Ah, I see. Thanks a lot for your input, it really helps me in making a decision. I can see how resources would be especially limiting for people who aren't working with painting. I hope you're able to go to the program of your choice this year!

You guys also get special scholarships and travel opportunities that non-painters don't!  I think it's great and all, but it seems silly to go to a school that so strongly favors a particular medium (that isn't mine).  Good luck with your decision!

On March 25, 2016 at 5:13 PM, stitcher said:

I'm also in the appeal process with SAIC.  The first form was very simple, but later came an extensive list of verifications they need regarding current employment such as anticipated earnings for the rest of the year, severance packages, etc.. 

I did the first form too, it's good to know this. Kinda a bummer that we have to do this. I'm glad to know that more might be coming with the forms

On 03/12/2016 at 7:19 PM, ZeusG said:

Congratulations! 

I got their offer as well. Are your familiar with this school or do you have any friends attended there before? I have some difficulties with finding detail informations about this school, especially their teacher student ratio in MFA, facilities quality and post-graduate (career related) information. 

Thanks a lot and we may be classmates this fall.

Hi there! I have also been accepted and will go SFAI for sure, still curious about insider knowledge about the school and how to prepare (does it make sense to choose a topic (in photography) before school starts) Thanks in advance and cheers to ZeusG and ChrisPW, see you soon!

M.

Edited by Mikutza

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 11:14 AM, sylviecerise said:

Yeah, I wasn't sure if they meant by "notifications in Mid-March" is for interviewing finalists or if it's for final decisions. A month is a pretty quick turnaround for the volume of applications they probably get, so I'm hoping they just haven't made interview choices yet! I got several hits from Greensboro last week too. 

heyyyyo @cpw0021 @sylviecerise, past elsewhere curator here, i would say we are really good at running late on deadlines. interviews do happen before final selection though, and everybody does indeed scope websites before that.

i'm sure they're working on it, and if you need info asap just contact them it's no worries!

cheers

Hi Everyone! This is my first post. This forum is extremely helpful through my application process. Now, I am struggling among three offers: Upenn, MICA (Mount Royal), SAIC(painting). I prefer SAIC painting, but I don't get dean scholarship. They still let me wait for their final funding decision... I am an international student and the financial support is really limited. I really doubt if it is worth to investigate this much $$$ for MFA degree. MICA waves me 1/3 tuition fee. Even if it is not a lot, it is better than nothing. I might just decline offer from Upenn (very poor funding...). Anyone can give me a suggestion: MICA or SAIC?? Thanks a lot! 

1 hour ago, dirrrtbag said:

heyyyyo @cpw0021 @sylviecerise, past elsewhere curator here, i would say we are really good at running late on deadlines. interviews do happen before final selection though, and everybody does indeed scope websites before that.

i'm sure they're working on it, and if you need info asap just contact them it's no worries!

cheers

Thanks for the insider info! :) Calms my unnecessarily high nerves. 

Hi everyone,

I've narrowed it down to a final three - UPenn, SAIC Sculpture or SUNY Purchase. Does anyone have any thoughts on the value of each program, funding aside? Thankfully I have received roughly equal funding offers from each school.

I come from a background in architecture and don't have a BFA, so I imagine a program's reputation will matter more for me than others in terms of establishing a network within the art world. From my initial impressions, SAIC and Purchase both have better and more comprehensive facilities for Sculpture than Penn. I was really impressed by the thoughtfulness and rigour of students and faculty at SAIC. UPenn and Purchase are pretty small, SAIC is huge. SUNY Purchase is very well-connected to contemporary art dialogue and artists in New York. On the other hand, Penn is close to New York, has a small but great faculty, and encourages cross-disciplinary study with a great architecture department... tough choices. Thanks! 

Ahhh as of today MassArt's website says my application has been reviewed and SMFA's says a decision has been made, but neither have made the decision available to me! Impatient now more than ever!

@headinspace I can only speak to Purchase (I am finishing up undergrad there now). As you noted, Purchase is really well connected with the contemporary dialogue happening in New York. I think the strength and availability of the faculty is extremely valuable here. As an undergrad, you develop really close relationships with many diff faculty members and from what I have seen that is even more true with grad students. Also most of the faculty have their own practice in NYC, and most of them are well-known and successful in their own right. It is rare for a faculty member to not have top-tier gallery representation in the city. From what I have seen in my time here, every student that does well at Purchase leaves with a solid foundation for a career in the arts.

It seems like you are primarily interested in sculpture. The sculpture program at Purchase has a slight public art/political intervention lean right now. I personally think that is fantastic but I don't know what kind of work you are interested in. A current project that is stirring around the sculpture dept is the Riad Project in Detroit I know a few students are going to Detroit this summer to work on that project. I also can't emphasize enough how much interdisciplinary work thrives here. There are no real barrier between mediums or even schools. I took a huge amount of my coursework in their wonderful New Media program. I would sometimes see MFA students in my computer science courses.

Like I said I can't speak to the other schools, but Purchase is a really great option. Good luck with your choice!

Edited by mlarghydracept
tag

21 hours ago, headinspace said:

Hi everyone,

I've narrowed it down to a final three - UPenn, SAIC Sculpture or SUNY Purchase. Does anyone have any thoughts on the value of each program, funding aside? Thankfully I have received roughly equal funding offers from each school.

I come from a background in architecture and don't have a BFA, so I imagine a program's reputation will matter more for me than others in terms of establishing a network within the art world. From my initial impressions, SAIC and Purchase both have better and more comprehensive facilities for Sculpture than Penn. I was really impressed by the thoughtfulness and rigour of students and faculty at SAIC. UPenn and Purchase are pretty small, SAIC is huge. SUNY Purchase is very well-connected to contemporary art dialogue and artists in New York. On the other hand, Penn is close to New York, has a small but great faculty, and encourages cross-disciplinary study with a great architecture department... tough choices. Thanks! 

I wouldn't assume that reputation will matter more for you because you don't have a BFA. What will matter in the end is your work and your connections. Same for everyone.

Since you got the same offer from all schools I'd nix the one that's most expensive (think about living expenses too). For me, because I also do not have a BFA, I prefer smaller schools because I have more access to faculty--this is extremely important in my opinion. And, if you're interested in sculpture, don't settle for sub par facilities.

Just got a rejection email from NYU. I emailed them this morning asking about any notifications and was told I would be notified by mid April. Then received the rejection a couple of hours later. Odd.