MFA 2016 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

So I hate waiting around. I was put on the waitlist for Csulb, but instead of just doing nothing I've decided to

a. email my interviewer to thank him for considering me for admission

b. Email grad school advisor/clerk to ask what number on the wait list and when will it end

c. Go to Csulb check out their grad students gallery opening and campus

d. Attend their art model workshops everyweek to show off and draw/paint circles around every1

e. Meet my interviewer, introduce myself in person (had a phone interview) and use my good looks and charm to sway the decisions towards myself.

yesterday my loser ass saw my interviewer, but was too shy to do step "e". O well next week try again.

@MrBixler Thank you! Yeah I hope to visit as soon as possible but they are on break this week. heh. I believe that I was able to successfully buy time from Berkeley so that should make this easier.

On 3/19/2016 at 4:07 PM, langley said:

Legally schools are supposed to give you by April 15th to make a decision on funding offers. Do you have a letter from Berkeley saying you have to decide by the 25th? They should have a sent a letter with the funding package that declares April 15th as the legal date, all UC's as far as I know abide by these common laws.

I'll start this by saying I don't know a lot about tech-focused MFA programs, but living in Los Angeles I meet a lot of MFA students and my view of the Design Media Arts program is that a lot of students seem to have issues and negative experiences with it. I would strong urge you to try and visit, or at least contact current students and faculty and ask them tons of questions about the program and their experiences. Even from a few phone calls and emails, if that's all you an manage, you may learn enough to get a good sense of what you want.

Congrats and good luck!

@langley Hi! thank you for the advice. I don't have a letter from Berkeley about the 25th, that was just a date that we had agreed upon in order to give them time to lock down TA positions for me. I believe that I might be able to get an extension on that though. I am going to do everything I can to visit UCLA. I won't make a decision before doing so.

That is interesting that you heard mostly negative things about the program. They have been my top-choice school for years now. Everything I have encountered points to it being a top-notch program but I live on the east coast and don't have much contact with west coast artists. Do you recall any specific complaints that you heard (ie too commercial, bad facilities, distracted faculty)?

Thanks again for the advice!

Edited by mlarghydracept

44 minutes ago, mlarghydracept said:

@MrBixler Thank you! Yeah I hope to visit as soon as possible but they are on break this week. heh. I believe that I was able to successfully buy time from Berkeley so that should make this easier.

@langley Hi! thank you for the advice. I don't have a letter from Berkeley about the 25th, that was just a date that we had agreed upon in order to give them time to lock down TA positions for me. I believe that I might be able to get an extension on that though. I am going to do everything I can to visit UCLA. I won't make a decision before doing so.

That is interesting that you heard mostly negative things about the program. They have been my top-choice school for years now. Everything I have encountered points to it being a top-notch program but I live on the east coast and don't have much contact with west coast artists. Do you recall any specific complaints that you heard (ie too commercial, bad facilities, distracted faculty)?

Thanks again for the advice!

still considering OSU at all or do you feel stronger about the Berkeley/UCLA programs?

@dryheat I actually just sent an email to OSU telling them that I would not be joining their cohort. Their programs seem fantastic and I really like a lot of the work produced there. These two UC's just happen to be dream schools for me.

Where are you at with your decision?

10 minutes ago, mlarghydracept said:

@dryheat I actually just sent an email to OSU telling them that I would not be joining their cohort. Their programs seem fantastic and I really like a lot of the work produced there. These two UC's just happen to be dream schools for me.

Where are you at with your decision?

I have narrowed it down to two programs, but I'm very close to pulling the trigger on OSU. Still waiting on a little bit more information but hoping to have everything sorted out this week or, at the very latest, by the end of next. Good luck in California!

On March 19, 2016 at 4:26 PM, junie said:

I actually think I didn't do so hot on my interview, but what you said comforted me a bit, haha. I absolutely loved the program and faculty so it bums me out that I'll most likely be rejected, but at this point I've gotten over it and feel happy to even have gotten an interview. In any case working full steam on my work this year led me to some personal breakthroughs and progress in my art so I feel pretty optimistic about that.

And I just checked my slideroom, it says 2016 Painting MFA. Yours?

@junie  or anyone else hear from columbia painting?  I'm still waiting after being interviewed a while ago and it's killing me.  I presume at this point I'm not getting in.  Also anyone hear from RISD painting?  I was wait-listed at SAIC and accepted at Upenn, but the pricetag is pretty steep and living and working in BK I don't hear a lot about Upenn's program or see their alums doing much, with a couple of high profile exceptions.  Is anyone going to Upenn or have more insight on their program?  Thanks guys and good luck

On March 17, 2016 at 6:38 PM, whoevenknows said:

Same for me; I interviewed with two old white dudes (i'm not one) who weren't painters (i am one) who were super unfamiliar with my work, and it was kinda like they had never seen abstract ptgs before.. they kept asking how sculptors and photographers were supposed to look at / talk about the work.

i showed them some pics i snapped of my sculptures on my phone and the sculptor asked, "Why didn't you apply with these?" ---BECAUSE i thought i was applying to a painting program! i feel like they shouldn't make you apply to a specific discipline if ultimately that will damage your interview.

I know people that go to hunter and are unimpressed with a lot of things there.  I think their program is overrated and some of the people I know who have gotten in recently make pretty bad work.   Did you guys apply to RISD or Columbia, or know anything about Upenn's program?  

15 minutes ago, Christian Berman said:

I know people that go to hunter and are unimpressed with a lot of things there.  I think their program is overrated and some of the people I know who have gotten in recently make pretty bad work.   Did you guys apply to RISD or Columbia, or know anything about Upenn's program?  

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who has doubts.  Can I ask you what specific criticisms you've heard about Hunter?  I'm finding it hard to find them exciting.  

Someone here got accepted to Upenn and is very excited about it - @AKW94 was that you?

@2222222 thanks! I'd still consider hunter if I were you, based on the pricetag, location, faculty etc.  I'm just relaying a sense of what I've seen, but also know people who did great going there, and didn't go into massive debt like you would at other spots.  Getting a foot in in New York is pretty priceless.  Were you accepted anywhere else?  Upenn seems like it should have a lot of clout considering the reputation of the university as a whole- I just don't see a lot of people, especially painters, coming out of there and showing here in NYC.  From what I understand it's on the up as a program, I'm just not sure any of these programs are worth taking on tons of debt.  

I'm always confused when people apply to MFA programs that their not entirely familiar with.  You can google 'University of Pennsylvania MFA  CV'. Most of the artist tend to stay in in the Philly area and a few working abroad...

Edited by AKW94

On 3/19/2016 at 7:00 PM, CoffeeKiang said:

I got accepted to Calarts on Thursday morning. It didn't mention anything about the financial aid, but since i am an international student, i guess it would be hard to get any fund. I just don't know if it worths the tuition feesXD.

I'm debating the same question right now @CoffeeKiang...plus in my case it was super strange...since I didn't have ANY news, and none of my pages got updated and I kept hearing that people had been informed I wrote an email to admissions and got this answer:

My sincerest apologies for keeping you wondering, but please allow me to take this opportunity to congratulate you on your acceptance. The faculty are very eager and excited to continue working with you, so we really hope you will be able to join the MFA class this coming Fall.

I’m not 100% sure why you have not yet received your notification, but I will check on it, and update you with any information I can find.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with, and stay tuned for more information soon!

All best, 

I find this super unprofessional and am a bit lost now as to what to do...That being said, I spent a term on exchange there and my main reason for applying there was the faculty and the cross-school possibilities...when it comes to facilities I'm sure that there are far better schools than CalArts....

53 minutes ago, AKW94 said:

I'm always confused when people apply to MFA programs that their not entirely familiar with.  You can google 'University of Pennsylvania MFA  CV'. Most of the artist tend to stay in in the Philly area and a few working abroad...

Fair enough, I applied because my friend told me they had great funding (which they don't), and I've been waitlisted at yale, columbia etc like 2 yrs in a row, so thought I'd try something different.  I've heard positive things through the grapevine and a couple of their grads are pretty famous, but I'm just not fully acquainted with the upenn program because they don't really make any rankings lists, etc.  

1 hour ago, Christian Berman said:

Fair enough, I applied because my friend told me they had great funding (which they don't), and I've been waitlisted at yale, columbia etc like 2 yrs in a row, so thought I'd try something different.  I've heard positive things through the grapevine and a couple of their grads are pretty famous, but I'm just not fully acquainted with the upenn program because they don't really make any rankings lists, etc.  

Lord, please don't go by the ranking list, just make your own list and go by that!  lol. Someone did a detail post about the rankings a few pages back... 

Been lurking for a few months so I'm new here. Hey all! 

I got an interview at UCSD a few weeks ago and really liked the school. Though I was a little disappointed by their sculpture facilities since I'm more maker oriented. I guess I had some culture shock when I went to visit because the school was so much more conceptual than I thought. I studied at a Midwest school that was pretty balanced in both concept and making, but I felt like the work I encountered was almost a different language! Which isn't bad. The challenge of trying a new method would be good for me and help me grow. 

I was accepted to SJSU for spatial art and went to visit last week. Loved the campus and the school had amazing facilities! Downside: terrible funding. They wanted to offer me instate but couldn't and San Jose is the 2nd most expensive city to rent from in the nation. My undergrad loans aren't terrible but I really dont want to add on more. But they told me to just accept the offer (which was due March 18th) so they could push me forward on scholarships. Reassuring me that I can always change my mind. So I accepted.

Then a few days ago UCSD accepted me which is a full ride plus stipend for all 3 years. After thinking it over the last few days I think I want to change my mind now. Though im curious about how much funding SJSU can give me before I finalize it. Any thoughts? 

I'm a sculptor if it helps btw. 

2 hours ago, AKW94 said:

Maybe because they need more information about the school that aren't disclosed on the internet? I don't think you can simply looking through the students' works to fully understand the program as a whole. What about how the faculty guide you through the grad program? Or the school's philosophy? Or the interaction between students? Applicants and current students who have been lurking/members in this forum provide lots of helpful information that cannot be found by simply googling.

2 minutes ago, AKW94 said:

My response was just solely concerning researching alumni activity after school. 

Your response of "I'm always confused when people apply to MFA programs..." implied you're being dismissive about other people's genuine inquiries. Furthermore, your "Lord, please don't go by the ranking list, just make your own list and go by that!" response implied you're discounting the fact that (whether you agreed or disagreed with the list/methodologies) how ranking actually somewhat (emphasize the 'somewhat') determines the school's credibility of producing artists/designers. It's completely fine if people are questioning about the programs they're going to attend.

3 hours ago, Christian Berman said:

I have a friend who makes really amazing work, shows nationally, has been in the Whitney Biennial, who went to UPenn and said his time there was great. It's one of those "sleeper" programs that really great but not many people know much about. Have you visited? 

1 hour ago, Artnallday said:

Been lurking for a few months so I'm new here. Hey all! 

I got an interview at UCSD a few weeks ago and really liked the school. Though I was a little disappointed by their sculpture facilities since I'm more maker oriented. I guess I had some culture shock when I went to visit because the school was so much more conceptual than I thought. I studied at a Midwest school that was pretty balanced in both concept and making, but I felt like the work I encountered was almost a different language! Which isn't bad. The challenge of trying a new method would be good for me and help me grow. 

I was accepted to SJSU for spatial art and went to visit last week. Loved the campus and the school had amazing facilities! Downside: terrible funding. They wanted to offer me instate but couldn't and San Jose is the 2nd most expensive city to rent from in the nation. My undergrad loans aren't terrible but I really dont want to add on more. But they told me to just accept the offer (which was due March 18th) so they could push me forward on scholarships. Reassuring me that I can always change my mind. So I accepted.

Then a few days ago UCSD accepted me which is a full ride plus stipend for all 3 years. After thinking it over the last few days I think I want to change my mind now. Though im curious about how much funding SJSU can give me before I finalize it. Any thoughts? 

I'm a sculptor if it helps btw. 

I would go to UCSD, especially if they offered you full funding. It's probably worth it weigh what the total cost of SJSU is if you feel like overall you connected to it more. Someone recently gave me advice that if the school in question is over 20,000+ more than a fully funded program, it's probably not worth the increase in debt. Depends on your situation

Also- check your PM ;)

I didn't start the Freak out-forum back in August to be dismissive,'salty' or mean. I've actually been inboxing the individual and discussing the program further. Thanks for you concern @Waxmango and @Trapnado and best of luck on your applications this year!

42 minutes ago, waxmango said:

Your response of "I'm always confused when people apply to MFA programs..." implied you're being dismissive about other people's genuine inquiries. Furthermore, your "Lord, please don't go by the ranking list, just make your own list and go by that!" response implied you're discounting the fact that (whether you agreed or disagreed with the list/methodologies) how ranking actually somewhat (emphasize the 'somewhat') determines the school's credibility of producing artists/designers. It's completely fine if people are questioning about the programs they're going to attend.

1 hour ago, trapnado said:

Last couple posts are getting kinda salty. Don't be mean dude.