MFA 2016 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

12 hours ago, llyMx said:

Just got a rejection email from NYU. I emailed them this morning asking about any notifications and was told I would be notified by mid April. Then received the rejection a couple of hours later. Odd.  

sorry to hear that! I wonder if they let you know because you asked, or you just happened to time it right. anyone else hear from NYU yet?

I am waiting to hear from SUNY Purchase and Brooklyn College (was already rejected from Rutgers and Yale sadly). Has anybody heard from these schools? I am DYING of anticipation! 

18 minutes ago, Elizard said:

I am waiting to hear from SUNY Purchase and Brooklyn College (was already rejected from Rutgers and Yale sadly). Has anybody heard from these schools? I am DYING of anticipation! 

My friend emailed Brooklyn College on Friday, and they responded saying it takes 6 weeks to determine...meaning she was still 2 weeks out. Hope it's sooner!

Just now, lmo said:

My friend emailed Brooklyn College on Friday, and they responded saying it takes 6 weeks to determine...meaning she was still 2 weeks out. Hope it's sooner!

I was under the impression that the 6 weeks was from the application due date, which was up a few weeks ago! I am dying to know!

At the risk of stoking more Hunter hating, has anyone who was accepted there received their official letter? I'm anxious to take the next steps in the process but haven't received the letter in the mail. Also, I know Hunter doesn't offer much on their part in terms of funding and that it goes through FAFSA to determine aid, but as a general rule, do grad students qualify for PELL grants and NY State TAP?

Edited by sstout84

4 hours ago, Elizard said:

I got an acceptance call for Purchase about two weeks ago. They asked me to give them a decision before April 5th so that they could consider other candidates, so you're probably on an unofficial wait list. Good luck!

Hi everyone! I just discovered this forum. I'm an international student and managed to get admission in Mason and Gross at Rutgers with an almost full scholarship. I was wonder what your views were on this program? My other option is University of British Columbia. Any advise anyone?

1 hour ago, Madiha said:

Hi everyone! I just discovered this forum. I'm an international student and managed to get admission in Mason and Gross at Rutgers with an almost full scholarship. I was wonder what your views were on this program? My other option is University of British Columbia. Any advise anyone?

Hello @Madiha! Congratulations on your acceptances!! The program at Rutgers is solid and, considering the recent changes, looks as though it will only get better. You'll be entering the program at an exciting time. I'd pick Rutgers without hesitation. Again, congratulations!!

20 hours ago, headinspace said:

I got an acceptance call for Purchase about two weeks ago. They asked me to give them a decision before April 5th so that they could consider other candidates, so you're probably on an unofficial wait list. Good luck!

I received my rejection letter last night :( I am still waiting to hear from Brooklyn. Thanks for the info!!

21 hours ago, Thranduil said:

Thanks, man! Have you heard back from them yet?

No I have not. Have you? did your interview go well? I don't think I will hear from them for at least another week or two

Hey, so I'm looking for a little advice. I have been offered acceptance into Tyler School of Art and Ohio State University for painting. Tyler is my top pick but they are a two year program and they are offering 50% tuition with stipend. Ohio State is three years and are offering a full ride with stipend for the whole three years. Any thoughts? 

Id go with the full funding at ohio state.  Plus a three year program gives you more time to develop. Tyler is great program but not having crushing debt is better. 

25 minutes ago, Tjarrells said:

Hey, so I'm looking for a little advice. I have been offered acceptance into Tyler School of Art and Ohio State University for painting. Tyler is my top pick but they are a two year program and they are offering 50% tuition with stipend. Ohio State is three years and are offering a full ride with stipend for the whole three years. Any thoughts? 

29 minutes ago, Tjarrells said:

go with ohio state-debt is not worth it. Ohio state is great. here read this blog http://dontpayforgradschool.weebly.com/about.html TYle might sound tempting. Debt is very real and it sucks.

Edited by icw

46 minutes ago, Tjarrells said:

Make a pros and cons list. Debt does suck but I wouldn't choose a program JUST because they pay more.  

1 hour ago, painthuffer said:

Id go with the full funding at ohio state.  Plus a three year program gives you more time to develop. Tyler is great program but not having crushing debt is better. 

1 hour ago, icw said:

go with ohio state-debt is not worth it. Ohio state is great. here read this blog http://dontpayforgradschool.weebly.com/about.html TYle might sound tempting. Debt is very real and it sucks.

Thanks guys, My professors have been pushing for OSU also. I'm going out to Columbus this weekend to see the place before making the final call but I think OSU offers the most. I mean, you can make great work anywhere as long as you put your heart into it. I feel like if I have to worry about putting money together and paying bills all the time at Tyler it will ultimately affect the quality of the work I'm making. I just want to spend my grad school years being selfish and totally focusing on my work.

1 hour ago, trapnado said:

Make a pros and cons list. Debt does suck but I wouldn't choose a program JUST because they pay more.  

You're totally right, I think that is a part of why this is such a tough call. Tyler is so close to New York which is definitely a pro, but I talked with their students and they said you have to fight for money in the department. I mean, at what point does money become a playing factor in the quality of work you're making and is that outweighed by the environment in general? I'm sure the answers to these questions are as varied as the number of people and programs available out there. It is just interesting to think about. I never thought that I would be a person so concerned about money until starting this whole process.  

39 minutes ago, Tjarrells said:

You're totally right, I think that is a part of why this is such a tough call. Tyler is so close to New York which is definitely a pro, but I talked with their students and they said you have to fight for money in the department. I mean, at what point does money become a playing factor in the quality of work you're making and is that outweighed by the environment in general? I'm sure the answers to these questions are as varied as the number of people and programs available out there. It is just interesting to think about. I never thought that I would be a person so concerned about money until starting this whole process.  

I had a very similar dilemma between two schools and ultimately decided on OSU. I spent two days on campus a couple of weeks ago and have been in contact with a few people in the department since then--if you have any questions, shoot me a direct message. congratulations by the way!

I've been awol from the forum for a bit, but was curious to know whether anyone who was accepted to UPenn have heard back about funding. 

I've narrowed my decision down to two schools and the choice is basically killing me at the moment, so I've been avoiding gradcafe a bunch. Hope everyone else's decisions are going well!

19 hours ago, gtakaoka said:

I've been awol from the forum for a bit, but was curious to know whether anyone who was accepted to UPenn have heard back about funding. 

I've narrowed my decision down to two schools and the choice is basically killing me at the moment, so I've been avoiding gradcafe a bunch. Hope everyone else's decisions are going well!

I have, just waiting on the final word regarding funding. 

Just got an email that I'm waitlisted at NYU. If anyone is planning on declining admission, please do so! Really like this program.

E-mailed MaryAnn and she said she doesn't have any waitlist ranking info yet, but will let me know when she does.