MFA 2016 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

14 hours ago, mfahopeful said:

RISD 2-year graphic design is the only program I haven't heard anything from. I also didn't get an interview there. At this point, I'm just curious to see what happens. I've already made the decision to go to VCU. My final results:

VCU: Accepted + full tuition coverage and grad. student assistantship stipend (Going here!)

Iowa: Accepted + full tuition waiver and stipend

MICA: Accepted with about 1/3 scholarship

NC State: Accepted, no word on funding 

Edinburgh College of Art (University of Edinburgh): Accepted (There are several decent scholarships for international students that you apply for after being accepted. Also, sticker price there comes in lower than private art schools in the US, and lower than out-of-state public tuition in some cases.) 

Yale: Rejected

RISD: Presumed rejection

congratulations to you to go to VCU!At this point,I am also want to know what happens in RISD(2-year program) ,many students receive the ID final letters in this morning and maybe GD final letters will  come(offer or rejection)

17 hours ago, mlarghydracept said:

@MrBixler Thank you! Yeah I hope to visit as soon as possible but they are on break this week. heh. I believe that I was able to successfully buy time from Berkeley so that should make this easier.

@langley Hi! thank you for the advice. I don't have a letter from Berkeley about the 25th, that was just a date that we had agreed upon in order to give them time to lock down TA positions for me. I believe that I might be able to get an extension on that though. I am going to do everything I can to visit UCLA. I won't make a decision before doing so.

That is interesting that you heard mostly negative things about the program. They have been my top-choice school for years now. Everything I have encountered points to it being a top-notch program but I live on the east coast and don't have much contact with west coast artists. Do you recall any specific complaints that you heard (ie too commercial, bad facilities, distracted faculty)?

Thanks again for the advice!

Wishing you good luck!

9 hours ago, Amy Xu said:

congratulations to you to go to VCU!At this point,I am also want to know what happens in RISD(2-year program) ,many students receive the ID final letters in this morning and maybe GD final letters will  come(offer or rejection)

Thanks. Good luck with RISD!

17 hours ago, Christian Berman said:

Fair enough, I applied because my friend told me they had great funding (which they don't), and I've been waitlisted at yale, columbia etc like 2 yrs in a row, so thought I'd try something different.  I've heard positive things through the grapevine and a couple of their grads are pretty famous, but I'm just not fully acquainted with the upenn program because they don't really make any rankings lists, etc.  

What was your experience with the Columbia waitlist?  Many of us here interviewed, but have yet to hear anything.

Accepted to Hunter! If anyone is waiting to hear from them, I got an email a couple hours ago telling me to check my status online, so check your inbox! Anyone hear from Hunter who's thinking of accepting?

21 hours ago, Christian Berman said:

@junie  or anyone else hear from columbia painting?  I'm still waiting after being interviewed a while ago and it's killing me.  I presume at this point I'm not getting in.  Also anyone hear from RISD painting?  I was wait-listed at SAIC and accepted at Upenn, but the pricetag is pretty steep and living and working in BK I don't hear a lot about Upenn's program or see their alums doing much, with a couple of high profile exceptions.  Is anyone going to Upenn or have more insight on their program?  Thanks guys and good luck

I just called the admissions office and they asked me my department and my name, then told me admission decisions for the painting department haven't all gone out yet and that I should hear in 1 to 2 weeks. I'm going to assume that this means I'm either on the waitlist or been rejected. Not sure about other dpts but I'm assuming they're in similar situations.

Also,  I just got my rejection letter from Hunter. To be honest I'm feeling a bit relieved? Because I wasn't so sold when I went to my interview, but people around me kept telling me it was a really good program.

One more thing, regarding RISD for those of you who might be curious, when I was at Hunter one of the fellow interviewees told me he got an acceptance call from RISD photo dpt without an interview, so I guess they do happen, though I'm guessing it's a rare thing. He told me he got an awesome funding package though, so maybe this dude was exceptionally good. (or maybe he was lying..?Don't see why he would though)

27 minutes ago, junie said:

I just called the admissions office and they asked me my department and my name, then told me admission decisions for the painting department haven't all gone out yet and that I should hear in 1 to 2 weeks. I'm going to assume that this means I'm either on the waitlist or been rejected. Not sure about other dpts but I'm assuming they're in similar situations.

Also,  I just got my rejection letter from Hunter. To be honest I'm feeling a bit relieved? Because I wasn't so sold when I went to my interview, but people around me kept telling me it was a really good program.

One more thing, regarding RISD for those of you who might be curious, when I was at Hunter one of the fellow interviewees told me he got an acceptance call from RISD photo dpt without an interview, so I guess they do happen, though I'm guessing it's a rare thing. He told me he got an awesome funding package though, so maybe this dude was exceptionally good. (or maybe he was lying..?Don't see why he would though)

Thanks for checking in with Columbia again!  I just noticed that someone posted a rejection from Columbia on March 17th - so maybe that means we were silently wait-listed?

That sucks about Hunter, but their selection process does seem odd to me.  I've met many students who were rejected over the years that ended up at way better schools.  I got the impression that they were looking for a very specific kind of artist.

Has anyone that interviewed at Hunter heard NOTHING from them today?  My status is unchanged.

31 minutes ago, oneagain said:

Thanks for checking in with Columbia again!  I just noticed that someone posted a rejection from Columbia on March 17th - so maybe that means we were silently wait-listed?

That sucks about Hunter, but their selection process does seem odd to me.  I've met many students who were rejected over the years that ended up at way better schools.  I got the impression that they were looking for a very specific kind of artist.

Has anyone that interviewed at Hunter heard NOTHING from them today?  My status is unchanged.

Do you know if it was someone who had interviewed with them? Or maybe it was the initial rejection but they just got around to posting it now?

I'm not sure if they do look for a very specific kind of artist but I did notice when I was at their open studios there wasn't as much new media...? And they specifically told me their resources for that were not the best after I told them my work was heading in a direction where I was looking to incorporate digital components. Other than that I thought my interview went quite well and they threw me some questions that made me think more about my work in different ways.

Maybe no news means you got accepted? I would maybe call them today and try to find out!

Goldsmiths mfa fine art vs. RCA printmaking

I want to become a painting/installation artist. One of my friends tell me definately RCA, but other person says although it is fine art, printmaking is different. Any suggestions? what would you do?

I initially applied to RCA painting, but they said they felt my work is more suitable for printmaking. I dont know why.. 

Edited by Rockya

20 minutes ago, Rockya said:
Goldsmiths mfa fine art vs. RCA printmaking

I want to become a painting/installation artist. One of my friends tell me definately RCA, but other person says although it is fine art, printmaking is different. Any suggestions? what would you do?

My immediate thought is Goldsmiths because if it's a fine art program you'd likely be able to work in whatever discipline suits each new idea/body of work.  I would do some research to find what type of work is coming out of each program, especially RCA print.  If current students and alums aren't really working in painting or installation then I would say definitely go for Goldsmiths.

3 hours ago, sstout84 said:

Accepted to Hunter! If anyone is waiting to hear from them, I got an email a couple hours ago telling me to check my status online, so check your inbox! Anyone hear from Hunter who's thinking of accepting?

Accepted to Hunter as well, spring semester. I'm most likely accepting. Feelin excited!

8 minutes ago, hypoart said:

My immediate thought is Goldsmiths because if it's a fine art program you'd likely be able to work in whatever discipline suits each new idea/body of work.  I would do some research to find what type of work is coming out of each program, especially RCA print.  If current students and alums aren't really working in painting or installation then I would say definitely go for Goldsmiths.

thank you! I have looked into what printmaking is, and it is similar in that in uses some drawing skills to produce visuals.. but nothing like what I have done in my undergraduate studies.. 

@Rockya I've had a bit of trouble finding much information on UK schools as well--I don't think you can go *too* wrong with either of those choices, but I recommend finding some recent graduates or current students from both schools/departments online and reaching out to them with some questions. I've had some really gracious people respond, and their perspectives have been supremely helpful-albeit all over the map with some extreme positives and some extreme negatives :P Ultimately it will be a highly personal decision but it helps a lot to get recent perspectives from those who have gone through it themselves. Feel free to ask them specifically about your desire to get into painting and installation and see what they have to say! (It's also helpful to speak with at least a couple of other international students if you are one because there are other things to consider in that case as well!) Best of luck-and congratulations!!!! 

Talked to admissions at RISD yesterday, they said call if you haven't heard by the 24th. It's the last school I'm waiting on before I decide.

They also said they were making last minute decisions. I asked about MFA Design.

11 minutes ago, mfaokay said:

Talked to admissions at RISD yesterday, they said call if you haven't heard by the 24th. It's the last school I'm waiting on before I decide.

They also said they were making last minute decisions. I asked about MFA Design.

Did you apply for the 2-year or 3-year program? Also, did you interview there? 

Just now, mfahopeful said:

Did you apply for the 2-year or 3-year program? Also, did you interview there? 

no, but I have not been interviewed anywhere and gotten into three programs.

2-year program

11 minutes ago, mfaokay said:

Have you applied for MFA Graphic Design? I am waiting for RISD as well before I make my decision.

1 minute ago, Wondu said:

Have you applied for MFA Graphic Design? I am waiting for RISD as well before I make my decision.

Yes 2 year graphic design, sorry I didn't make that clear.

2 minutes ago, mfaokay said:

no, but I have not been interviewed anywhere and gotten into three programs.

2-year program

It's really strange and opaque—I saw someone earlier say that they'd interviewed for the 3-year program at RISD and that there were 2-year people interviewing that same day. It seems like most folks on this forum who applied for the 2-year program weren't invited to interview, myself included. (That said, I know this is a really small sample size and the RISD program is very selective. I also read that they admit some people without interviews.) I wish they were a little more transparent about the process! @mfaokay and @Wondu, which other programs are you considering?

4 minutes ago, mfahopeful said:

It's really strange and opaque—I saw someone earlier say that they'd interviewed for the 3-year program at RISD and that there were 2-year people interviewing that same day. It seems like most folks on this forum who applied for the 2-year program weren't invited to interview, myself included. (That said, I know this is a really small sample size and the RISD program is very selective. I also read that they admit some people without interviews.) I wish they were a little more transparent about the process! @mfaokay and @Wondu, which other programs are you considering?

I interviewed at RISD 3/7 and I think it went exceptionally well. Still haven't heard anything yet. Hope this helps guys.

Edited by osenator
wrong date

3 minutes ago, mfahopeful said:

I was accepted to Parsons, Pratt and CCA all with scholarships. I was rejected by SVA, MICA, and Yale.

I have a question that's been plaguing me for a while now. Is getting my financially MFA worth it? I don't qualify for any type of need based aide (which is BS, cause SMFA doesn't seem to award need based grants, only merit, and I don't qualify for need based anything at Pratt), and while I don't have any other lingering debt, I would be getting out of any MFA program I end up at with 40k in student loans. 40k in debt not including housing for 2 years in two of the most expensive cities in the US seems like a lot to swallow. MFA scholarships also seem pretty scarce and monetarily minimal. So I guess the question I'm asking is how the hell I'm I gonna pay for this, short of becoming a stripper or selling a kidney? If there are any links or good sites anyone knows of it would be greatly appreciated!