MFA 2016 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

Hey Artist! 

Another MFA Visual Art Application season is arriving! I know I'm not the only one exploding with anxiety and anticipation. 

Last 5 freak-out forums:  

MFA 2015 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum

Helpful Popular Must Read Topics:

Yale MFA 2015

http://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/17014-what-makes-mica-so-great/?hl=funding#entry1057844232

http://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/48388-too-young-for-mfa/?hl=yale

http://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/14853-international-programs/?hl=%2Binterview#entry230736

http://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/47066-good-mfa-painting-programs-in-the-uk-and-ireland/?hl=international#entry1058018443

http://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/28504-financial-aid-especially-for-international-applicant/?hl=international#entry1057783394

http://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/27617-any-recommendation-for-art-school-in-london/?hl=international

http://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/13212-low-residencies/?hl=+interview

http://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/36171-is-the-mfa-necessary-the-con-side-of-the-debate/?hl=international

http://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/19944-figuring-out-loans/?hl=international#entry235314

http://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/30193-how-do-you-plan-on-paying-for-school/page-2?hl=international#entry1057824994

http://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/40514-top-unfunded-art-schools-vs-medium-ranked-fully-funded-schools/?hl=funding

http://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/23885-photography-mfa-2012/page-3?hl=international#entry1057768251

http://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/15793-mfa-photography-2011/page-5?hl=international#entry232122

http://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/58782-2015-mfa-applicants-share-your-work-and-statement/page-2?hl=%2Bfunding#entry1058206376

http://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/45293-2014-mfa-applicants-share-your-work-and-statement/page-4?hl=funding#entry1058025023

http://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/35048-how-much-do-schools-look-at-gpa/?hl=funding#entry1057884494

Can't wait to hear from everyone!  :)

-Kev

Edited by AKW94

I'm starting to get anxious now too. Especially since I'm still not entirely sure (in spite of a boat load of research) which schools I'm applying to, but I'm visiting four of them in September so I'll know better then which ones fit with my interests. My list so far:

Definitely applying to:

University of Chicago

Northwestern University

On the fence:

University of Michigan

University of Illinois, Chicago

Stanford U

UCSD

I'm interested in interdisciplinary studio programs, particularly in well-regarded research universities because I want to have the opportunity to explore other areas of study outside of the visual (particularly creative writing). Anyway, I'm really looking forward to applying this year!

Edited by cpw0021

wow!! really helpful list so neatly listed! :)

I've been refreshing this forum everyday...and here we have 2016 freakout forum!

I'm freaking out because now that I take a look at my portfolio... it seems like I have to start over all again... not satisfied at all with my works... :(especially ones I did last year... guess I'll have to just keep making..hehe 

I've somewhat narrowed down my list to twelve... but I haven't finished researching, so it will change!

UCLA

UCSD

Columbia

Hunter

Yale

Temple

VCU

Rutgers

U of Michigan

Ohio State

NYU

Stanford

RISD

most of my works are sculptures and installations, and I'm making my list based on fund+location+student works+faculty+I wanna go...

I'll probably arrow it down to ten... more searching...

Edited by arte

Yes, I think we have some of the same interest. I'm just as interested in taking courses outside my major, (creative nonfiction writing). I have a lot of big name research schools that also have strong/small MFA programs. I have been also on the fence about Stanford, as their MFA is relativity unknown, but I seen one of their Faculty, Enrique Chagoya, give a artist talk at MAPC last fall, and I really loved his work! Sadly, they have a GRE requirement, not sure how serious they take your test scores, but I'm not the best test taker. Stanford funding seems like it may cover your full tuition, seeing that they only take 5 students. 

I'm starting to get anxious now too. Especially since I'm still not entirely sure (in spite of a boat load of research) which schools I'm applying to, but I'm visiting four of them in September so I'll know better then which ones fit with my interests. My list so far:

Definitely applying to:

University of Chicago

Northwestern University

On the fence:

University of Michigan

University of Illinois, Chicago

Stanford U

UCSD

I'm interested in interdisciplinary studio programs, particularly in well-regarded research universities because I want to have the opportunity to explore other areas of study outside of the visual (particularly creative writing). Anyway, I'm really looking forward to applying this year!

Yes, I think we have some of the same interest. I'm just as interested in taking courses outside my major, (creative nonfiction writing). I have a lot of big name research schools that also have strong/small MFA programs. I have been also on the fence about Stanford, as their MFA is relativity unknown, but I seen one of their Faculty, Enrique Chagoya, give a artist talk at MAPC last fall, and I really loved his work! Sadly, they have a GRE requirement, not sure how serious they take your test scores, but I'm not the best test taker. Stanford funding seems like it may cover your full tuition, seeing that they only take 5 students. 

I was told that UC San Diego and Stanford have huge studio spaces and great facilities by an artist I know, so that's why I'm considering them. I think I might go with UCSD though, because they have a program focusing on Theory and Text, both of which play a huge part in my work. I think it would be great. Also, I'd prefer not having to take the GRE.

I was also considering U Penn but there's no faculty there that interests me, plus because I have a previous masters from abroad I'd have to pay something like $200 just to get it authenticated...which, plus the application fee, makes applying way too expensive, especially for a school I'm not entirely sold on anyway. 

Thank you for posting some links to good material.

Here are two crucial links that weren't posted regarding funded programs and offers received by accepted students.

If you can't afford to pay and no subsidy at the school of your choice is offered or don't want to go into large debt check out schools that offer funding.

International Students are often eligible but check of course to see what they might offer.

The info is most likely still valid but check with the school directly. I think USC funding may have changed due to recent events.

Also when you do get an offer, negotiate! Particularly if you have received several acceptances and offers.

Thanks to everyone who has shared this excellent information and made it easier to find by posting in appropriate threads.

This forum really starts to get busy around the end of December when applications are in by the way.

You can send private messages to other members if you have an account. You won't get spam. This forum is an excellent source of information

Good luck everyone!

MFA programs in the USA with Excellent Funding (as of 2012)

MFA arts 2015: FUNDING AND DECISIONS

Edited by smartstrategy

hey all,

i was wondering if anyone had any information about the practice of getting more than one MFA.

i have several professors who have told me that i should at least apply and consider grad school straight out of undergrad and i agree that i feel ready for an MFA and would get a lot out of it

i talked about the fact that i would really appreciate going to a well-funded MFA program if i go next year because i already have some undergrad debt but if i got into a top program (vcu is the dream) with little funding, i wouldn't want to pass up the opportunity. the response from a few people has been to go for the money now, build a stable practice, pay off my current debts etc and then apply to top programs later.

this seems like weird advice to me for some reason but also does make sense if it's as good as it sounds, the opportunity to have the MFA experience twice... i mean, are MFA programs reluctant to accept people who already hold MFAs? or is it otherwise detrimental in anyone's opinion? i don't want to make a rash decision, only apply to funded schools and regret it ... and i can really not afford to just apply to all types of schools right now and decide later unfortunately :/

hey all,

i was wondering if anyone had any information about the practice of getting more than one MFA.

i have several professors who have told me that i should at least apply and consider grad school straight out of undergrad and i agree that i feel ready for an MFA and would get a lot out of it

i talked about the fact that i would really appreciate going to a well-funded MFA program if i go next year because i already have some undergrad debt but if i got into a top program (vcu is the dream) with little funding, i wouldn't want to pass up the opportunity. the response from a few people has been to go for the money now, build a stable practice, pay off my current debts etc and then apply to top programs later.

this seems like weird advice to me for some reason but also does make sense if it's as good as it sounds, the opportunity to have the MFA experience twice... i mean, are MFA programs reluctant to accept people who already hold MFAs? or is it otherwise detrimental in anyone's opinion? i don't want to make a rash decision, only apply to funded schools and regret it ... and i can really not afford to just apply to all types of schools right now and decide later unfortunately :/

I don't really understand why anyone would advise you to do that. I have never met anyone with two MFAs (two masters in different fields, yes, but two masters in the same field, no). I imagine you'd have to have a really good explanation as to why you want another MFA, especially if it's in the same subject area. For example, having an MFA in Painting at a fully funded school and then applying for an MFA in Painting at a "top" school with little to no funding...Honestly I don't think that would fly. 

There are a lot of really strong programs out there that give good funding as well, you just have to look.  

Why don't you apply to residencies? If it's a good one, it's just a shortened version of an MFA. My advice is, if you're really unsure as to what schools to apply to, wait, research, and apply next year. I don't believe in applying to schools only because it has good funding, something about the program should resonate with you, otherwise it's not worth the effort. 

Regardless, there are tons of Fellowship and Residencies programs that are out there.  Look this list over, 20 Top Artist Residencies.  I recommend  Skowhegan School of Painting and Sculpture. Only 65 artist are accepted annually to this 9 week summer program intensive.  This rigorous program includes one-on-one critiques and faculty lectures.  The setup is very similar to a MFA programs. I plan on applying there when the 2016 application comes available in November.  

Lastly, your comment is a little confusing. Can you clarify some things, like where did you get your last MFA and or BFA-- you didn't mention them? 

hey all,

Edited by AKW94

Hi everyone!

I'm looking for someone who have switched their field for graduate study!

I graduated with a BFA in painting, but now I wonder if it's possible to switch my field(painting) to architecture.

I know that graduate school is for studying a specific program but now I realized my heart lies in another field.

Please let me know if you guys can help me anything!

Thank you

Agreed with AKW94. No need for two MFA's. Why would you subject yourself to the experience twice, especially if you incur debt to do so? Graduate school, though productive, isn't necessarily a pleasant place to be, and may even be worse at a top school. If you already have an MFA then do residencies, adjunct somewhere, and make work. You should already have the skill set to function as an artist from your first MFA.

Regardless, there are tons of Fellowship and Residencies programs that are out there.  Look this list over, 20 Top Artist Residencies.  I recommend  Skowhegan School of Painting and Sculpture. Only 65 artist are accepted annually to this 9 week summer program intensive.  This rigorous program includes one-on-one critiques and faculty lectures.  The setup is very similar to a MFA programs. I plan on applying there when the 2016 application comes available in November.  

Lastly, your comment is a little confusing. Can you clarify some things, like where did you get your last MFA and or BFA-- you didn't mention them? 

Hello everyone!

Isn't it a little too early to be freaking out? But I'm glad i'm not the only freak :)

Anyway, does anyone know what is a good school to look at for installations? Like light installations? Also, i can't find much about Northwestern. What are they good at?

Hey there everyone -- I've lurked here for a number of years, and it's finally my turn to participate in the freak-out! (: 

My plan is basically to blanket the country with applications in the hopes of finding that sweet spot of awesome program and full funding. I mean, it's a numbers game and casting a wide net helps with that. I climbed out of educational debt once, and that's enough for one lifetime.

I went to the graduate national portfolio day last year mostly for informational purposes. What really struck me was how incredibly subjective this all is. I know, you're thinking, "well, duh, Relm," but having seven different people give you varying (and often contradictory) reactions in the span of a few hours really hit that home. Also, there were some huge surprises in terms of who liked my work and who didn't. Highly recommend it, if you're on the fence about attending.

Hey Relm, awesome advice. But the question is if the panel on the national portfolio day will be the ones deciding if you get in or not.
Still, I think it is a really good advice to be apply for a great variety of schools!

It's just so hard to find out which schools are actually the right fit >(

Blizzardfire, that's a good question. I think it really varies by the school. I went to the one in Chicago; SAIC (where it was held) had upwards of fifteen or twenty people looking at attendees' portfolios, so it's anyone's guess whether your work would be seen that day (and, more importantly, remembered later on) by someone on the admissions committee. Some of the universities have smaller faculty, so there's a better shot of having your work seen by panel members there.

Nevertheless, I think there is intrinsic value in getting your work evaluated by people from those schools even if they're not on the actual admissions committee. Ostensibly, faculty talk to one another and see the kind and caliber of work that is produced by the students and alumni at their institution, which means they should be able to gauge the skill and conceptual drive of your portfolio against that.

The only downside to portfolio day is how late it is. They're held in late October/early November. Realistically, if everyone pans your portfolio, there's only so much you can do between then and when applications are due! (:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi y'all! First time applicant here, making the big switch from the non-art world to the art world. I was wondering if anyone else here is considering applying for two different media types, i.e. I'm torn between applying for ceramics and sculpture programs. Anyone else having this problem? Is it frowned upon to apply for both? Thanks for any input!

Hey everyone,

I'm extremely intimidated to be honest. I've been lurking on this forum for two years now and finally decided to register because I'm applying this year.

I'm applying to:

U Mich

UW

Northwestern

Cornell

I might also apply to:

Rutgers

UCSD

I'm an international student, and I'm looking for a good funding, and although I am a conceptual photographer I'm interested in programs that are more interdisciplinary. I guess I'll be checking this thread until March.

Hi guys!

Well, seems like we've already started to test our nervous system :D so exciting and worrying... I'm an international student, applying for mfa in graphic design. Two problems at once, but I think I can handle it.

Hello ya'll

I've been on the fence for the last few months as to whether I'm ready to return to school for my MFA or not but I think I will just to get a feel for the process in case I don't get in and if I do get in, then go for it and take the next step in my art making. I've narrowed down my list and will be visiting most of these schools in October and I've always liked reading this forum and seeing such a good community help each other out so that's why I'm joining up now :)

I'm applying to painting programs but I'm definitely looking for a school that will push me into interdisciplinary forms since I've long had an itch for sculpture and installation/video work.

University of Houston

University of Texas at Austin

Hunter College

Rutgers

Columbia

Yale

Hello ya'll

I've been on the fence for the last few months as to whether I'm ready to return to school for my MFA or not but I think I will just to get a feel for the process in case I don't get in and if I do get in, then go for it and take the next step in my art making. I've narrowed down my list and will be visiting most of these schools in October and I've always liked reading this forum and seeing such a good community help each other out so that's why I'm joining up now :)

I'm applying to painting programs but I'm definitely looking for a school that will push me into interdisciplinary forms since I've long had an itch for sculpture and installation/video work.

University of Houston

University of Texas at Austin

Hunter College

Rutgers

Columbia

Yale

@axolotolol

hey there! I think this forum is really great too! All the best for your application. Btw, how do you decide which painting prog would actually be 'interdisciplinary' ?

I have a dilemma. So one of the schools I am applying to has a MA as well as MFA in studio art. Should I apply to the MFA and ask to be considered for the MA in the case I don't get in or should I just apply to the MA? Is an MA necessarily easier to get into? This is at my top choice school. The school has informed me that while 9 were accepted this year for the MFA there were 0 for the MA. Thoughts?

I have a dilemma. So one of the schools I am applying to has a MA as well as MFA in studio art. Should I apply to the MFA and ask to be considered for the MA in the case I don't get in or should I just apply to the MA? Is an MA necessarily easier to get into? This is at my top choice school. The school has informed me that while 9 were accepted this year for the MFA there were 0 for the MA. Thoughts?

What's the difference between the programs? I'm assuming the MA is more theory based and less focused on studio, perhaps? I'd really just base it on whether doing the MA will provide you with the education/experience you're looking for in graduate school. If it will, then ask to be considered for both. 

Hey Everyone! Can't wait for this application season. Still narrowing down my schools for this year. If anyone has any questions about Pennsylvania Fine Arts Academy (Pafa), School of Visual Arts (SVA), or New York University Stienhardt (NYU) Let me know! I got into all three last year and can help with the interview/application/funding information if need be. I ended up turning down all the offers because my partner and I had our dream home go on the market in our town and we purchased it. Easy access to Philly and NYC. I will defiantly be applying for NYU again, maybe Cranbrook, Northwestern, Stamps, Temple, UPenn, Yale, Mica, and a few others. Haven't narrowed it down yet! I am mainly interdisciplinary focusing on photography. Check out my website for work down below. Good luck to everyone!