MFA 2016 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

18 hours ago, Relm said:

Nah. I'm actually not applying to any of the UCs and, as of right now, only to one school on the west coast.

I haven't visited, but a friend of mine did. She said the pros are obvious (beautiful facilities, fantastic faculty, location, prestige); on the minus side, I think she said the studios were about a 25 minute drive from the rest of campus (and I'm assuming that's in good traffic). And they require you to take a significant load of art history/theory courses if you haven't already. Not sure what the funding landscape is like exactly -- she had the impression that you weren't guaranteed a TAship/stipend each quarter, so there is that to think about as well.

I'm applying to UCLA as well, didn't get to visit. That's disconcerting about the drive to the studios though...

7 minutes ago, cpw0021 said:

I'm applying to UCLA as well, didn't get to visit. That's disconcerting about the drive to the studios though...

Yeah, it's basically the reason why I decided not to apply to Berkeley (their studios are out in Richmond). My reasoning was that it kind of defeats the purpose of going to a university if you're in a satellite location that requires a car to get to the main campus. But hey, given that it's LA, perhaps it's not so big a deal.

3 hours ago, Relm said:

Yeah, it's basically the reason why I decided not to apply to Berkeley (their studios are out in Richmond). My reasoning was that it kind of defeats the purpose of going to a university if you're in a satellite location that requires a car to get to the main campus. But hey, given that it's LA, perhaps it's not so big a deal.

Thanks for the info - the traffic situation does kinda suck but I feel like the drawback of having to drive a lot is made up for with everything else the program has to offer.  I've been keeping tabs on what alumni are up to and the site has photos from open studios and you can see how much the students develop through the years - probably doesn't amount to too much of a hindrance just fairly annoying. I commuted a lot in undergrad and to work and studio now so I feel like it won't be too big of a deal unless of course you don't have a license or car. I'm more worried about funding although it says on their site that they average $25K per student per year which probably just covers tuition and fees + a little bit left over for living.

On 11/7/2015, 6:07:45, AKW94 said:

I live in Milwaukee and I don't recommend UW-Milwaukee. Try looking into UW-Madison, they have  excellent MFA program and pretty generous with aid. Please do share your experience, I  would love to hear more about UPENN and UChicago MFA programs. Applying to UPENN, thinking of UChicago....

Why don't you recommend UW-Milwaukee? I am applying for their MFA Film program and it looks pretty amazing.

Making a plug for the University of Michigan. Multiple fully-funded positions, teaching experience, stipend, required (and funded) international trip, facilities that compare to NASA, massive studio spaces and faculty that is out of this world. Then there's the funding opportunities outside of the Stamps School of Art & Design...which are endless. I could not be happier in this program. Everyone is really down to earth. It's close enough to Detroit that you can work/show/be part of the art community in the Motor City as well. I strongly encourage those interdisciplinary artists to apply. 

3 hours ago, thepictureisstill said:

Making a plug for the University of Michigan. Multiple fully-funded positions, teaching experience, stipend, required (and funded) international trip, facilities that compare to NASA, massive studio spaces and faculty that is out of this world. Then there's the funding opportunities outside of the Stamps School of Art & Design...which are endless. I could not be happier in this program. Everyone is really down to earth. It's close enough to Detroit that you can work/show/be part of the art community in the Motor City as well. I strongly encourage those interdisciplinary artists to apply. 

I was looking at UMichigan but wasn't sure if there's much of an art scene in Ann Arbor/Detroit...what do you think of it so far?

Hi again! 

Does anyone know if the funding offered in UCSB is accessible to international folks? Please if you know anything do share, this will definitely impact my decision to apply.

Also, even after completing my application to Stanford (their deadline is in a couple of days) I feel like I'm still on the fence on whether I should be applying or not, what do you guys think?

Edited by looingk

Hello guys! I have a question to you guyz who have transferred when they were in undergrad ... 

I'm having an difficulty how to fill out the application at the section of "TRANSCRIPT"

There's Date conferred or Expected section for the previous school which I didn't graduate, but I have to fill that section in. In this case what should I fill in? 

please any one help me to fill out the application......

I'm so nervous as its close to the end ...... :ph34r: but its great to hear from all in the same situation with me! 

thank you very much in advance!! 

For anyone still sending out applications, consider applying to The University of Georgia, Lamar Dodd School of Art.

I finished my MFA in sculpture there in 2015.  3 year program, well funded, large art school within a strong research University. Assistantships carry about an $11,000 stipend and tuition remission.  The visiting artist and gallery program brings established artists to campus for lectures and studio visits.

http://art.uga.edu/academics/admissions/graduate-admissions

http://art.uga.edu/areas-of-study/list/graduate

Edited by inkhouse

On December 4, 2015 at 4:44 PM, cpw0021 said:

I was looking at UMichigan but wasn't sure if there's much of an art scene in Ann Arbor/Detroit...what do you think of it so far?

Not much of an art scene in Ann Arbor, no. Detroit has a fucking awesome art scene though. There are all different types of galleries, residencies, happenings going on constantly. Art Detroit Now has a great newsletter that goes out if you're interested.

Thoughts on naming faculty you'd like to work with in the statement of purpose? I'm on the fence about it. On the one hand it would show that I've done my research and that I customized the letter somewhat...on the other hand I don't want to insert myself into some inter-faculty politics that I'm unaware of and ruin my chances. What are other people doing?

5 hours ago, casser0le said:

Thoughts on naming faculty you'd like to work with in the statement of purpose? I'm on the fence about it. On the one hand it would show that I've done my research and that I customized the letter somewhat...on the other hand I don't want to insert myself into some inter-faculty politics that I'm unaware of and ruin my chances. What are other people doing?

I am naming faculty whose work/interests are similar to my own, also faculty in other departments if I'm interested in their work (because the programs I'm applying to are interdisciplinary and encourage taking courses outside of the art department). 

I'm looking for another program to apply to... Preferably one that's interdisciplinary and offers some kind of scholarship/funding. 

Any ideas? Thank you so much!

Edited by Pulsar

Hey all, I am almost done with my applications and if feels GOOD to finally be closing in.

This year I am applying to UofM, UI, MSU, OSU and GSU

All seem to have good funding, though has anyone heard anything about Michigan State University?  I'm focusing on a particular area of the country with these, with the exception of Georgia State, so MSU fell into this as a possibility. Its not super highly ranked in US news but that isnt a huge factor for me, just curious if anyone had experiences there or heard any horror stories.

9 minutes ago, Pulsar said:

Hi!

Has anyone applied to Stanford?

If so, did you receive an email from them today..? 

Thank you! 

Yes, I got an email saying that they are reviewing my application so I shouldn't email them...

I'm kind of worried since two of my recommenders said they will submit the letters today...:(

1 hour ago, arte said:

Yes, I got an email saying that they are reviewing my application so I shouldn't email them...

I'm kind of worried since two of my recommenders said they will submit the letters today...:(

???

Shouldn't the recommendations be in already?

I think the deadline was the 8th? 
Did they grant you an extension? 

Also, is anyone applying to Boston University? 

If so, did you get mail from them? 

I just received a packet including a letter and a booklet of current students' work, and I haven't submitted my application yet. 

Thank you! 

Edited by Pulsar

If you are looking for a good interdisciplinary program with funding and tuition waivers to apply to consider University of South Florida in Tampa.

I believe the application deadline is January 15.

I posted more info in this thread to make it easier for future users to find.

http://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/71505-usf-university-of-south-florida-mfa/

I am currently attending and learned about USF through this forum.

By the way this forum has been extremely helpful and gets really busy in January and onwards as acceptances come in.

All the best to all of you in your applications