Photography MFA 2012

silverhalide

Any advice on statement of intent for these schools? My portfolio is solid, but I know my statement blows. Currently, it's a list of classes I took, things I did... not really too interesting.

Your statement should primarily be about your conceptual framework for making photographs and where you see yourself going. I definitely wouldn't list classes. I could see mentioning a class if it was particularly influential on your work. The statement should not be another resume, but give them enough info to find interest in your working methods and why you need to be in their MFA program.

Your statement should primarily be about your conceptual framework for making photographs and where you see yourself going. I definitely wouldn't list classes. I could see mentioning a class if it was particularly influential on your work. The statement should not be another resume, but give them enough info to find interest in your working methods and why you need to be in their MFA program.

Thanks, that was a big help!

• 2 weeks later...

In addition to that, any thoughts on other MFA photography programs that aren't in the price ranges of the likes of SAIC, Yale, RISD, etc. Anyone?

I'd just like to point out that Yale is very generous with financial aid, which is all based on need. I was accepted to Yale, SAIC and SVA and Yale, not only being my number one choice, was also the most sound financial decision.

How are you all doing on applications, essays, and stuff?

I just started writing my statement of intent - this past month I visited University of Minnesota, University of Illinois, and Wisconsin Madison. Heading to Ohio in the middle of November. Probably should start getting everything together a bit fast now that October is almost expired.

I just started writing my statement of intent - this past month I visited University of Minnesota, University of Illinois, and Wisconsin Madison. Heading to Ohio in the middle of November. Probably should start getting everything together a bit fast now that October is almost expired.

Nice! I haven't been able to visit many of the schools I'm applying to...just sort of going it on faith that they live up to the program descriptions online. hehehe.

Hey Fellow Photogs! Hope life is well and applications are filling themselves out, leaving you all mucho time to shoot! I have a question to pose to you all...I recently went on a tour at a local university whose MFA program was on hiatus last year due to retirement and other things, but is back. The lone professor in the photography program was very kind and I feel I could learn a lot from her. The visiting artists that come through are amazing and they are a very hands off/let you work/just be groovy and come to us for help and input, sort of crew. All of that being said....the facilities....are.....TRAGIC!! Apparently the professor in charge before the hiatus just let the place go to pot. Dusty enlargers, sinks encrusted with silver and lord knows what else, shooting studio is NOT designed well at all and only has 3 low power lights....so, my question to you...how important do you think facilities are (darkrooms, shooting studios, digital labs) are if you, as a student, are fairly self sufficient and could probably scrape by? Thoughts?

It might make a good back-up school, but a school like that wouldn't ever be my first choice. I would shy away from a school with such administrative problems as dissolving temporarily and crappy resources. Even if the faculty are good, problems will come out of the woodwork while you are there.

• 2 weeks later...

FYI: SUNY Purchase does not have a photo MFA. It's a multidisciplinary program with strongest elements in sculpture, video and painting. While there are print and photo facilities, it is difficult to access these as a grad.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been visiting each of the programs to meet faculty. its important to know how photo is embedded in the art department. Some programs really set it aside as a separate conversation. Since this is not really the case any longer in contemporary museums; it seems like the best call is to apply to a program that integrates photo, painting, sculpture, video, into one conversation..

Hi everybody. So it looks like I'm going to be applying this fall as well. I've decided to go with UCLA, CSULB, Claremont, USC and maybe Cal Arts. My work is mainly abstract and I was looking for programs that would be compatible with that and open to letting me explore/combine other mediums if I felt the need. Is anyone else applying to those schools or know of any other programs they would recommend? Thanks!

Good question, I think its a bit of a minefield at the moment.

One hand you have to broaden your practice while a large number of mfa courses are pulling up the shutters on anyone who isnt shooting large format.

Not the easiest of times, even without the recession.

Personally i've gone into broader, more digital arts kind of stuff as thats going to broaden my skillset and make me more employable - i'm on a 1yr masters just now which finishes next august.

Where to apply to and where to go is anyones guess really - perhaps people are better off waiting until the smoke clears.

I will try and keep my eyes peeled for places that look like a good fit but you could just read the photo student blog, use your own camera, build your own website etc

I'm living about half a mile away from the birthplace of documentary photography and two streets away from a thomas struth shot - so maybe i can just make work there myself :)

I invite my fellow playas to guess where I am :)

Hey everyone- not to spam, but I just thought I would suggest checking out the University of Pennsylvania's program (PennDesign). I am a current second year MFA student there (on GradCafe because I am applying for PHD programs now, but wanted to pop my head into the MFA discussions here). The program is technically interdisciplinary, but I think with a lot of the more photo-installation and photo-sculpture work that is happening now, (as well as photographers transitioning into video with dSLRs) there is a lot of great opportunities to branch out with your artistic practice or just keep it traditional photo. Its really a program that is transitioning in a big way (it got rid of its disciplines last year when I was a first year), so with all of the big changes I just thought I would give you all some info about the program.

Just a couple of great things: Nancy Davenport was just appointed as a tenure-track Photography professor in the graduate program and she is a very interesting artist as well as a fabulous teacher. We have amazing senior graduate critics like Charlotte Cotton, Carlos Basualdo, Yasmil Raymond, Nina Katchadourian and have had past visiting artist like Mary Ellen Mark, An My Le, and Alec Soth. In the spring Moyra Davey is coming. There is also an every-other-year spring photo class offered that goes somewhere international (last year it was Mumbai, two years before it was Beijing). Almost all students who want to get the opportunity to TA for undergraduate courses. And there is great residencies and opportunities paid for by the university (Lugo Land Residency in Italy, Netherlands residency, Vermont Studio School, and Skowhegan). We are also in the process of getting a brand new digital photo lab/studio.

I looked at a lot of similar schools to many you are listing but decided I wanted to have a more interdisciplinary dialogue and have found the atmosphere to be really exciting. Anyway, if anyone has any questions feel free to let me know, I'd be happy to answer them-- about Penn or just general applications/final reviews/loans/etc. Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

Finishing Apps right now. This is good to hear another perspective about photography and PennDesign, one of my former professors mentioned that it is extremely strong at the moment, as well as an another artist friend and I had a good meeting with them at portfolio day.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Fellow Photogs! Hope life is well and applications are filling themselves out, leaving you all mucho time to shoot! I have a question to pose to you all...I recently went on a tour at a local university whose MFA program was on hiatus last year due to retirement and other things, but is back. The lone professor in the photography program was very kind and I feel I could learn a lot from her. The visiting artists that come through are amazing and they are a very hands off/let you work/just be groovy and come to us for help and input, sort of crew. All of that being said....the facilities....are.....TRAGIC!! Apparently the professor in charge before the hiatus just let the place go to pot. Dusty enlargers, sinks encrusted with silver and lord knows what else, shooting studio is NOT designed well at all and only has 3 low power lights....so, my question to you...how important do you think facilities are (darkrooms, shooting studios, digital labs) are if you, as a student, are fairly self sufficient and could probably scrape by? Thoughts?

I think facilities are pretty important. I know my undergrad facility was growing, slowly, while I was there I had access to things I wish I had used more. Now I'm looking for those things in a Graduate program. We didn't have a color darkroom, which I am seeking now, and I eventually had to begin purchasing all my own equipment to do what I need to. It depends on what you want to do. It's the reason why I'm applying to schools which allow interdisciplinary work so that I can have a variety of experience. I also love to experiment, so I think that ties into my work.