MFA 2016 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

15 hours ago, jillianbrynn said:

anyone here apply to temples film program? its an MFA but not within tyler, its in their theatre program. dying to know if i got accepted.

i got accepted to saic but its not my top choice. i did my undergrad there and its an excellent school but i feel like their integrity has dipped a little bit. theyve gone through like four presidents since i graduated, which says something, and they gave kanye west, who i dislike immensely, that honorable degree, i feel, as a publicity stunt. but yeah, the program is cool and theres lots of opportunities to show and stuff. but i dunno, it seems like their acceptance rate is really high which is cool for undergrad but i feel like when its for post-grad, they ought to be a bit more selective. plus, i want to learn more about narrative structures and more technical aspects of lighting and stuff and saic is definitely not the place for that, the head of the dept. whom i met with at the portfolio review, said so himself. 

just waiting and dying inside. also got that 'your financial aid package...' note on my portal for temple. thought that might mean something but see that it doesnt. saic wants my deposit by april 1st but i dont want to pay anything til i know about temple. me brokey.

i'm not sure if you're referring to MFA studio programs, but the acceptance rate for the grad programs at SAIC in Sculpture, Painting, Printmaking, etc. is not high...

20 hours ago, trapnado said:

I was told the faculty is meeting this week

Oh. I had assumed rejection at this point. Does anyone else have success in contacting the Admissions coordinator, Keni Jefferson? I can never seem to get a hold of her through email or voicemail...

29 minutes ago, headinspace said:

Oh. I had assumed rejection at this point. Does anyone else have success in contacting the Admissions coordinator, Keni Jefferson? I can never seem to get a hold of her through email or voicemail...

Did you have an interview?

49 minutes ago, aiaiai said:

did you meet anybody else during interview day that you are still in contact with? the two of us seem to be the only ones here who had an interview and I don't know if it's a good or a bad sign that we both didn't hear anything...

I also heard the thing about 'hearing back one or two days after the interview'...so I'm starting to get worried :/

I did the Skype interview last Wednesday. Haven't heard them back yet. Let's wait. I am also keep refreshing this page too, see if there's any news lol.

2 hours ago, Modal_Pieces said:

Does anyone have a general idea of what SAIC's scholarship structure is like/how many each department offers? 

I was was previously under the impression that each dept only gives out one full ride, but it seems partials are awarded as well? One full ride with 2-3 partials? 

I think I heard that it varies depending on the quality of applications. I remember someone saying there is either one full-ride or two partials given.

11 hours ago, AKW94 said:

My SAIC Printmedia acceptance letter was dated the day after my interview. Honestly thought it was a rejection letter when I first seen it, since I herd so late. Not sure why everthing is being mailed to me while everyones else gets a phone call or email...

Did any Printmedia folks get scholarship awards yet??

2 hours ago, Modal_Pieces said:

Does anyone have a general idea of what SAIC's scholarship structure is like/how many each department offers? 

I was was previously under the impression that each dept only gives out one full ride, but it seems partials are awarded as well? One full ride with 2-3 partials? 

From my experience with V&CS and what admissions told me, they will offer you your merit scholarship upon acceptance. People who were called most likely received that funding. If you were accepted via email/post without any mention of scholarship, you probably didn't receive one. There may be grants or work study in your FAFSA breakdown, though. And yes, most programs offer at least 1 full-ride. Hope this helps!

35 minutes ago, CoffeeKiang said:

I did the Skype interview last Wednesday. Haven't heard them back yet. Let's wait. I am also keep refreshing this page too, see if there's any news lol.

Ok that's good to know...at least we're 3 desperate ones ;)

On 3/14/2016 at 8:49 PM, Cameramosnter300 said:

A update.

I got admission to PSU program with about half tuition remission.

ICP-Bard interview went well so hopefully I will hear from them this week.

I just got a notification that I was accepted into PSU MFA-partial tuition waiver and a 1000 stipend

On 3/11/2016 at 4:25 PM, cpw0021 said:

there's a thread for Skowhegan in the Waiting It Out forum.

I just did VSC in February! :)

FAWC had 705 applicants and only 46 are advancing to the final round. Notification received today. The application fee was 57 dollars.

Good luck everyone.

Edited by smartstrategy

12 minutes ago, jillianbrynn said:

@headinspace did you find some numbers? i didnt find any but im going off of what i see on here and the fact that everyone i know whos applied as a grad has been accepted. i dug and dug for numbers - im very curious! 

https://www.petersons.com/graduate-schools/school-of-the-art-institute-of-chicago-000_10034917.aspx

The acceptance rates are different for each department.

1 hour ago, aiaiai said:

Ok that's good to know...at least we're 3 desperate ones ;)

I've lurked long enough...

I also interviewed there Thursday and had a great experience. Still haven't heard anything...

46 minutes ago, Beckstafford said:

I have a friend who went there, said it took about a week for him to hear back. Don't stress.

I was told by a current MFA that he heard the following day. I'm not stressed though. Although I enjoyed most of the people I met there and liked the overall vibe, I wasn't wowed by the program--so I'm certain I won't be going there regardless. Would be nice to be accepted, though. ;)

Edited by cpw0021

23 minutes ago, jillianbrynn said:

@Modal_Pieces the site says that each program has either one full merit scholarship or two half. the site is pretty comprehensive - thats a big draw of SAIC, theyre incredibly organized. 

Yes, I have seen that. But occasionally people post about receiving Dean's scholarships, which are equivalent to 35% of tuition and obviously neither a full or half scholarship. 

Would this just be a case of a deptartment deciding to split the allotted scholarship money between 3?

6 minutes ago, painthuffer said:

No but past year results are on the 19th and 20th. Really want to hear back from them interviewed with them last month on 15th. 

Hopefully this week then.

18 minutes ago, dryheat said:

new grad school rankings for those who are interested. kind of interesting to see how the programs i applied to moved up or down since the last time the rankings were published...

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-fine-arts-schools/fine-arts-rankings

Yeah, it's really interesting how far up the schools I applied to moved up. I'm happy that there are a lot more state schools in the top 35 now.

Edited by cpw0021

24 minutes ago, dryheat said:

new grad school rankings for those who are interested. kind of interesting to see how the programs i applied to moved up or down since the last time the rankings were published...

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-fine-arts-schools/fine-arts-rankings

Interesting, too, that discipline specific rankings don't go as far as top 20 anymore.

9 hours ago, radredhead said:

From my experience with V&CS and what admissions told me, they will offer you your merit scholarship upon acceptance. People who were called most likely received that funding. If you were accepted via email/post without any mention of scholarship, you probably didn't receive one. There may be grants or work study in your FAFSA breakdown, though. And yes, most programs offer at least 1 full-ride. Hope this helps!

I know for a fact that not everyone who is called gets merit scholarships. The fiber and sculpture departments called all their acceptances to inform them. They told me that they wanted to make sure their candidates received the information as soon as possible. They send an official letter out as well. 

On 3/9/2016 at 8:39 PM, abcady said:

FYI or Sculpture people.

Interviewed SVA.  Accepted 3/1.

Semifinalist Purchase.   Interviewed and toured today.   Outstanding facilities.   The MA/MFA Combination is really interesting.

Columbia.   Not sure I care after seeing Purchase and comparing costs.

abcady, Glad you enjoyed it...How were the studios set up? Just curious since they said they were semi-private. 

The Purchase undergrad studios occupied several enormous rooms divided depending on the room configuration.   The grad studios were scattered various places.   The ones I saw were semi-private.     The wood, metal, plaster and photo studios were extremely well equipped.   A very nice place, friendly staff and students.