MFA 2016 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

So I called CSULB because I couldn't help it. Like I said I can't stand waiting. The grad adviser got in touch and said I was third on the wait list, and 2 of the primary admits weren't going to show up. Sooo yea I'm stuck on the waitlist. April 15th is when everything becomes official and she said it doesn't look likely that a spot will open up.

I thought I would be devastated if I got rejected, but no, I feel okay. The pain was in the process, the wait, the pressure, but one thing that wasn't so painful was reading all the good news from this forum's members.

I'll probably reapply in a couple of years, I feel like it just isn't my time yet. Thanks for all the support, and I'll see you guys on the other side.

cheers, best wishes, good luck, and happy national cocktail day!

-steve hsu

@suprahsu on ig

1 hour ago, tynnifer said:

Just got an acceptance letter from Oxford!

I'm so happy but whether or not I accept will be completely dependent on if / how much they offer for funding. They said they'll notify me of funding if I'm successful "shortly."

This feels relevant...

vT6GVUV.gif

congrats, your work is solid. hope you get what you need from them.

A really broad question: is getting financial need-based aid in the form of grants for MFA's really rare? 

I got offered a dean's scholarship to SAIC but even with that I'm still looking at at least 20k/yr in loans. No grant offered, even with considering that the past handful of years I've only made 12-15k/year. . . 

I was was hoping for at least a LITTLE bit of grant money considering my low income. I mean, I'm fully aware of SAIC's expensive reputation, but geez . . . 

Edited by Modal_Pieces

3 minutes ago, Modal_Pieces said:

A really broad question: is getting financial need-based aid in the form of grants for MFA's really rare? 

I got offered a dean's scholarship to SAIC but even with that I'm still looking at at least 20k/yr in loans. No grant offered, even with considering that the past handful of years I've only made 12-15k/year. . . 

I was was hoping for at least a LITTLE bit of grant money considering my low income. I mean, I'm fully aware of SAIC's expensive reputation, but geez . . . 

Grants are more or less for undergraduates

@nogo Didn't get any grant when I was accepted to Visual & Critical Studies. It depends on FAFSA info, and there's a variety of factors that would make one get a grant or not. I currently work salaried full-time, and have not been getting so lucky with my FAFSA packages at any institution, even though I also have my EFC at 0.

@Modal_Pieces talk to your admissions advisor. They can work with you to revise the FAFSA to more accurately reflect your financial situation once enrolled. Mine worded it as "financial aid appeal" - didn't go through the process because I have other offers, but if you really want SAIC I would ask them about this.

51 minutes ago, Modal_Pieces said:

@nogo @radredhead thanks for more insight! i'm planning on speaking with financial aid on Monday for an "appeal" . . . so we'll see how it goes.

I'm also in the appeal process with SAIC.  The first form was very simple, but later came an extensive list of verifications they need regarding current employment such as anticipated earnings for the rest of the year, severance packages, etc.. 

Any news from Cranbrook (2d design)?Someone already got an acceptance after an interview, so probably I'm not in but I'm just waiting for the 'official' rejection email since it is time to choose a school. 

10 minutes ago, nogo said:

whoa. did not know you could go through such a process. please keep me updated! im pretty set on saic but still not ruling out the other school i applied to. if they give me a ton of dough, ill take it :)

It's always annoying to fill out more forms.  Fortunately mine is not complicated, since much of what they want is not applicable for me.  They basically just want to know your employment arrangement and if you have other income.  If it means grant money, it's worth the time.  Schools just have to do their due diligence.  Good luck.

14 hours ago, oneagain said:

What time did they email you?  I called the admissions office today to see when I could expect a response and they said within 1-2 weeks.  @junie @photo @scaredapplicant Any news?

No news, I checked my email and application just in case, nothing came. Maybe this means all the waitlisted people are being contacted now and rejections will be going out last?

11 minutes ago, junie said:

No news, I checked my email and application just in case, nothing came. Maybe this means all the waitlisted people are being contacted now and rejections will be going out last?

I'm pretty sure it's different for each department...

@marg37 what department did you get waitlisted from?

@oneagain ... I called them too and they said within a week or two.. I don't know if that's good or bad.. seems a bit weird that if only 10 to 12 people are interviewed for photo, that me + you + @photo haven't heard anything..and we so happen to be on this forum... this could mean that no photo people have heard anything yet, or mean that the three of us are amongst those who didn't get in or it could mean nothing and that each case is specific. I've heard people say they heard 3 days after their interview and others that said it took for ever to hear back....

Edited by scaredapplicant

4 minutes ago, scaredapplicant said:

I'm pretty sure it's different for each department...

@marg37 what department did you get waitlisted from?

@oneagain ... I called them too and they said within a week or two.. I don't know if that's good or bad.. seems a bit weird that if only 10 to 12 people are interviewed for photo, that me + you + @photo haven't heard anything..and we so happen to be on this forum... this could mean that no photo people have heard anything yet, or mean that the three of us are amongst those who didn't get in or it could mean nothing and that each case is specific. I've heard people say they heard 3 days after their interview and others that said it took for ever to hear back....

@marg37 is Printmaking.

Someone just posted an acceptance to results (no department specified).  My guess is that people are beginning to commit to other schools and we'll hear when we hear.  It all means nothing!!!

14 minutes ago, junie said:

@oneagain Did you hear back from Hunter? And what was your take on the program and your interview? I'm curious to know.

I'm on the spring waitlist like everyone else.  

My interview felt strange in the way that others have already expressed.  My interviewers were pretty upfront with the fact that if I went there I'd struggle with finding other people who are interested in the issues I'm dealing with or the work I'm making.  This was already obvious to me based on what was at open studios the previous night.  That, and the program seems structured to be an extension of undergrad, but for people in their mid-20s.  In general, they seem to cater to young painters who are figuring out how to move to NY on the cheap.  In any case, not for me!

@nogo @stitcher yeah I had to do financial aid appeals in undergrad, and it allowed me to go for free my last 3 semesters. I was definitely in extreme circumstances and had already gone through most of the program, so they wanted to help me stay, but even without drastic assistance I think the appeals process is worth it for anyone who might need extra help. I think FAFSA appeals are available at most institutions, as I know of at least 3 that do it, so maybe you can look at it for places that are not SAIC as well!

Unrelated to grad programs, but I know a lot of you applied to residencies this year as well. Did anyone apply to Elsewhere & hear back from them? Their site says notifications should go out March 24... wondering if they're running behind. 

26 minutes ago, sylviecerise said:

Unrelated to grad programs, but I know a lot of you applied to residencies this year as well. Did anyone apply to Elsewhere & hear back from them? Their site says notifications should go out March 24... wondering if they're running behind. 

I applied to elsewhere (nominated for the Southern Constellations fellowship), and haven't heard back. I just got a hit on my site though from Greensboro so maybe that's a good sign? We suppose to be interviewed though so I don't know...

4 minutes ago, cpw0021 said:

I applied to elsewhere (nominated for the Southern Constellations fellowship), and haven't heard back. I just got a hit on my site though from Greensboro so maybe that's a good sign? We suppose to be interviewed though so I don't know...

Yeah, I wasn't sure if they meant by "notifications in Mid-March" is for interviewing finalists or if it's for final decisions. A month is a pretty quick turnaround for the volume of applications they probably get, so I'm hoping they just haven't made interview choices yet! I got several hits from Greensboro last week too. 

2 minutes ago, sylviecerise said:

Yeah, I wasn't sure if they meant by "notifications in Mid-March" is for interviewing finalists or if it's for final decisions. A month is a pretty quick turnaround for the volume of applications they probably get, so I'm hoping they just haven't made interview choices yet! I got several hits from Greensboro last week too. 

Did you apply for the fellowship, too!? Awesome, I was beginning to lose hope! 

Your work is lovely, by the way!

Edited by cpw0021