MFA 2016 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

I dropped off from looking at this... I decided on NYU! I don't have to move, and it changes my life very little. 

Congrats to everyone that received acceptance to something somewhere. I hope to one day see your name in a gallery next to the title and description of the work. 

So after months of complete silence, I got a suuuuper late acceptance to OSU. Turns out I was floating around on their waitlist. Would have been nice to know something a little earlier...

I ended up accepting the offer to University of Maryland. DC-bound!

Best wishes to everyone who is still deciding, and to everyone who will be applying next year. :)

8 hours ago, gtakaoka said:

So after months of complete silence, I got a suuuuper late acceptance to OSU. Turns out I was floating around on their waitlist. Would have been nice to know something a little earlier...

Best wishes to everyone who is still deciding, and to everyone who will be applying next year. :)

I got a super late acceptance too. I decided to accept it. Congrats on Maryland. 

20 hours ago, gtakaoka said:

WOW.....congrats on MARYLAND......i tried at MICA for MFA but didnt got in...will try next year again....any tips for portfolio? would really help me! Thanx and congrats again !

21 hours ago, hypoart said:

Just when you think you've got it alllll figured out.  Happened to me too!  Decisions, decisions.

So where are you considering now?

14 hours ago, paintandspackle said:

Anyone have an opinion on Upenn vs. Risd for MFA? I'm mainly a painter but comfortable across mediums.

RISD from my understanding is very medium-specific. I've heard UPenn has only one MFA program. Maybe that's what you want?

On 4/16/2016 at 11:28 PM, paintandspackle said:

Anyone have an opinion on Upenn vs. Risd for MFA? I'm mainly a painter but comfortable across mediums.

RISD painting is a super strong department. they have great faculty, resources, conncections. it's a rigorous and effective program. also it's fairly interdisciplinary, despite the stereotype; tons of painters this year are making sculpture & projection-based pieces. the discourse is definitely rooted in the traditional painting lineage style, but you can do basically whatever you want. (i'm in sculpture at risd, but we all hang out, take classes together, etc.)

Got word from Cornell that there are two people who haven't accepted their offer yet. Makes it hard to make decisions when others aren't making decisions, and vice versa. Got accepted to Goldsmiths, CGU, and SAIC. Hopefully this will be settled by the end of the week! Would love to share good news like so many of you have! Congrats on everyone who has made their decision and good luck to everyone still deciding. 

Somehow the decision making portion is even more stressful for me than the application/acceptance portion. Is anyone else feeling this stress. I am operating on borrowed time that unfortunately runs out today.

37 minutes ago, jennaleigh26 said:

Somehow the decision making portion is even more stressful for me than the application/acceptance portion. Is anyone else feeling this stress. I am operating on borrowed time that unfortunately runs out today.

Yeah, I'm having a rough time with it.

I've turned down Simon Fraser and University of Buffalo so now it's between University of Guelph and Oxford. I'm waiting on funding decisions from Oxford and the funding I'm receiving from Guelph is incredible so it will make it a difficult choice between going into debt with Oxford or no debt from Guelph. I'm hoping Oxford will offer me either full funding or no funding because it will make my decision an easy one. Oxford is really taking their sweet time, I haven't heard anything regarding funding and was accepted a month ago. Plus, I have to give Guelph an answer in a week... -_-

3 hours ago, jennaleigh26 said:

Good luck!  That is a lot to choose from.   I met you while waiting for the SAIC fiber interview, so of course my vote for you would be there!  I accepted admission to SAIC printmedia.   Was offered a post bacc with fiber and presumed rejection with sculpture.  

3 hours ago, jennaleigh26 said:

I was in exactly the same situation until a few minutes ago.  Hope that you find some clarity!

Hey guys,

Do you think it is possible to live from $1000 a month in Chicago? When I calculated everything in with all the student jobs and fees that I would have to pay, I realised that I will be left with $1000 per month. I am not sure if this is enough money for living. Please help!

Thanks,

Ana

On 3/31/2016 at 10:05 AM, trapnado said:
On 4/8/2016 at 7:34 PM, hypoart said:

is there anyone deciding to go to MassArt?  Considering going but would have a hefty amount of loan debt (100k)...

yea 1000 is plenty - i did americorps and lived in portland on 400 bucks a month is 1000 after rent?

On April 18, 2016 at 10:38 AM, bouef said:

RISD painting is a super strong department. they have great faculty, resources, conncections. it's a rigorous and effective program. also it's fairly interdisciplinary, despite the stereotype; tons of painters this year are making sculpture & projection-based pieces. the discourse is definitely rooted in the traditional painting lineage style, but you can do basically whatever you want. (i'm in sculpture at risd, but we all hang out, take classes together, etc.)

Cool, thanks for the input. Still making a decision, but I know RISD is a wonderful program.  Will be psyched to meet you if I end up there :) 

On April 20, 2016 at 4:10 PM, stitcher said:

Good luck!  That is a lot to choose from.   I met you while waiting for the SAIC fiber interview, so of course my vote for you would be there!  I accepted admission to SAIC printmedia.   Was offered a post bacc with fiber and presumed rejection with sculpture.  

Stitcher, I am so glad you accepted admission to print media at SAIC what a wonderful program. I presumed rejection with Sculpture as well, since I have not heard from them since my interview. Thanks for the luck on my decision, I may need it ;)

On April 20, 2016 at 1:38 PM, tynnifer said:

Yeah, I'm having a rough time with it.

I've turned down Simon Fraser and University of Buffalo so now it's between University of Guelph and Oxford. I'm waiting on funding decisions from Oxford and the funding I'm receiving from Guelph is incredible so it will make it a difficult choice between going into debt with Oxford or no debt from Guelph. I'm hoping Oxford will offer me either full funding or no funding because it will make my decision an easy one. Oxford is really taking their sweet time, I haven't heard anything regarding funding and was accepted a month ago. Plus, I have to give Guelph an answer in a week... -_-

Tynnifer, I'm so glad to hear I'm not alone here. I have tuned down admission to Northern Illinois and UMass Dartmouth and have narrowed it down to SAIC and IU Bloomington. I am in the same boat where I have a significant amount of funding from SAIC but am waiting to hear about funding from IU, which a full ride is possible but not probable. Can you get any kind of extension with Guelph? Perhaps let them know you have another admission offer that may provide Full funding. I think the worst they can say is that it's a hard deadline and ask that you meet it. 

23 hours ago, jennaleigh26 said:

Tynnifer, I'm so glad to hear I'm not alone here. I have tuned down admission to Northern Illinois and UMass Dartmouth and have narrowed it down to SAIC and IU Bloomington. I am in the same boat where I have a significant amount of funding from SAIC but am waiting to hear about funding from IU, which a full ride is possible but not probable. Can you get any kind of extension with Guelph? Perhaps let them know you have another admission offer that may provide Full funding. I think the worst they can say is that it's a hard deadline and ask that you meet it. 

Yeah, it's all so stressful right?! I feel like I've been in a state of limbo since my first response from a school in January. I'm finding it really hard to deal with.

Unfortunately Guelph has made it very clear that I can't wait until after the 27th to respond. They actually want me to respond sooner which isn't going to happen. To make matters worse I sent Oxford an email on Monday and they haven't responded and I have a feeling they won't before the 27th. It's really upsetting because Oxford is my dream school and if I get a decent amount of funding I absolutely want to go. If they don't respond by the 27th then I'll have to accept Guelph's offer and then I don't know what I'll do if I actually end up getting a good funding offer from Oxford afterwards...

16 hours ago, tynnifer said:

Yeah, it's all so stressful right?! I feel like I've been in a state of limbo since my first response from a school in January. I'm finding it really hard to deal with.

Unfortunately Guelph has made it very clear that I can't wait until after the 27th to respond. They actually want me to respond sooner which isn't going to happen. To make matters worse I sent Oxford an email on Monday and they haven't responded and I have a feeling they won't before the 27th. It's really upsetting because Oxford is my dream school and if I get a decent amount of funding I absolutely want to go. If they don't respond by the 27th then I'll have to accept Guelph's offer and then I don't know what I'll do if I actually end up getting a good funding offer from Oxford afterwards...

If you think you would be happy at Guelph, go ahead and accept if you only have to put down a deposit.  If Oxford then offers you enticing funding after the 27th, might it be worth sacrificing the deposit at Guelp?  If following your dream costs you a little extra will you regret the expense?  If you go to Guelp, will you feel like you sold yourself short just to save money?   I know it's important to pay attention to finances, and huge investments such as school and homes are stressful.  On the other hand, we only live once.  I've found that taking such risks has actually inspired me to come up with ways to generate the income.  You also may find the financial stress prompts you to work harder at your art.  Just some thoughts.   Good luck. 

On 2016年4月2日 at 1:48 AM, lgzyz said:

Hi I am new here! Great forum by the way. I have got admission in American University and Indiana University Bloomington for graduate study in Arts Management. As an international student I know DC has great internship opportunities and the program of IUB allows students to choose various courses in both business school and media school. Could anyone give some advice when selecting between AU and IUB?

Hi~ Have you made the decision? 

Did anyone else just get an out-of-the-blue email acceptance to SVA's visual narrative MFA? I did -- twice (one to my artist email, one to gmail) -- and I NEVER APPLIED THERE. Either this is a huge-ass mistake... or else they're really, really desperate ?

Edited by Relm