Contacting Professors: Success Stories!

JackieW

Well, I assume a lot of us have started to "bite the bullet," as they say, and contact professors in our disciplines. I certainly have and, I must say, all of the professors I have heard back from have been quite warm and welcoming! One professor, unfortunately, told me she didn't think they would be accepting any Victorianists, but I am glad she let me know--- that way, if they're not, I don't waste the application fee.

Anyone else have any good stories? This whole contacting professor thing is making me feel good about myself and like I'm ahead of all the people who don't know to do so!

Great idea for a thread!

I contacted a Poli Sci professor about a month ago. It was Saturday afternoon my time but late Friday night her time. She replied within minutes, and the reply was through her gmail, not uni, email. I like to think that she was checking her personal email, saw my email that got forwarded from her uni email, and thought that I was clearly so brilliant that she had to respond right that second. In any case, she was enthusiastic and asked me to send a CV.

This whole contacting professor thing is making me feel good about myself and like I'm ahead of all the people who don't know to do so!

I wonder if this varies by discipline - I read somewhere that in some field contacting professors in advance of the application is frowned upon, and I was gutted that wasn't the case for me.

I'm still new to this but I get the impression that it depends on the discipline. I'm applying to both psych and business programs, and with psych programs, you usually have to identify an adviser and start working with him or her your first year, so it's usually highly recommended to contact them in advance. With most business programs, though, you don't specialize until at least your second year, so there is no need to contact the professors before applying.

I've had really good responses when contacting professors. One of the schools I'm applying to is only about 2 hours away, so I have driven there to meet with various professors.

At another school I was looking at, one professor gave me the inside scoop and said, "Your research interests are totally in line with ours. Unfortunately, we've only got 2 fellowships for next year and they're guaranteed to go to people with X research interests." It was nice of him to save me some money!

I've contacted professors at nearly every university I've applied at; most have been the, "Thanks for the e-mail, we're accepting grad students, and good luck!", a couple have been, "We'll wait 'til you're accepted and then see if you fit," but a couple have been pretty helpful.

I contacted one professor about the interests posted on his website, but it turned out his research interests had shifted. He gave me a rundown on the current state of his lab's research interests, said they were accepting grad students, and seemed pretty enthusiastic when I told him his new research interests were still in line with mine.

Most helpful was a professor I was really interested in working with. Twenty minutes after my e-mail, I got a response from him saying that he likes to keep a small number of graduate students in his lab at any one time, so he wasn't sure if he was going to have a spot open (though he said he should). He then went on to write about two paragraphs on similar research interests to his being done at their university, the professors' specialties (since I'm interested in biomedical stuff, whether it was more of a basic science or biomedical approach) and names, and told me to ask for his cell phone number if he wasn't on campus during my interview.

So, pretty stoked about that, and he's definitely my top choice at one of my top choice institutions.

I feel a bit opposite of the success stories...while I did get positive responses from two profs who are leaving the school/don't currently have the program running and thus can't work with me (which doesn't really count), the rest have been neutral, and in one case, negative. For the neutral ones, I got the "I will be happy to advise motivated, strong students with overlapping interests..." without any comment on my research interests, and another with "not sure if we're accepting new students due to the budget, etc." I was so discouraged when I got another slightly negative one, which almost accused me of not knowing his research interests, even though I read some of his work, reviewed his website thoroughly, and was interested in another aspect that I thought related to his work, but I guess not (note to self: don't work with professors who've been doing research 40+ years). That really got me down; I know I shouldn't let it, but it's hard not to. Thank goodness the other programs I'm applying to (at business schools) don't make me identify potential advisers, I don't think I could take any more let down! I must not be identifying my research interests coherently enough or understanding the dynamics of research within social psych, which I admit is new to me. I'm thinking this is NOT a good sign for my chances of being admitted.

I must not be identifying my research interests coherently enough or understanding the dynamics of research within social psych, which I admit is new to me. I'm thinking this is NOT a good sign for my chances of being admitted.

Try not to be discouraged! The responses you describe probably have little to do with you. Just general busyness, is more likely. Plus, they'll be getting dozens of emails from interested students. They probably just have a default position of aloofness.

So far, I've had two positive phone conversations and one good email exchange. I know it's dorky, but I was particularly excited that my research proposal elicited exclamation points in the email reply. :D

I'm having to force myself to contact profs as I can be a little shy. Actually, shy probably isn't the right word--more like worried about misinterpreting their research and making an ass of myself. I'm also trying to read stuff by each one before contacting them, though I'm starting to think that's not the best use of my time, because so far none of them have shown much interest in discussing their past work with me. They're all more jazzed about current/future work, which I guess makes sense.

No one has out and out said, 'no, don't apply here' to me, but I'm more in the neutral category for responses I've received so far. Most people are willing to expand upon their research when I ask about their future research areas, but very few inquire about more details about my research interests. I'm meeting with one prof in person tomorrow -- EEEK! We'll see how that goes. My background isn't exactly in line with the program (although my research interests are) and I don't feel I can speak their 'program language' fluently, so we'll see how that goes...

I have had a great run!

I'm in anthro so whether one needs to identify a particular adviser varies by school, but with every school it is important that you "fit". So, it has been good. USC ROCKS! That's why theirs is the only non-anthro program I am applying to. I have talked to no fewer than three faculty members there and they all but invited me to apply.

Carolina? Not so much. I got a courtesy phone chat with a cold fish thanks to my superstar advisers name. She all but told me not to bother. I mean she never even asked what I wanted to do! Bleh. I have a waiver so I'm still gonna, but it's no longer on my radar.

I've had more than one really big name go out of their way to provide me information, names, programs, etc. One guy at Cornell was just incredible.

I learn so much that isn't published. That's the real benefit. People tell you about funding, drama, strengths of focus and new directions of research.

. I'm also trying to read stuff by each one before contacting them, though I'm starting to think that's not the best use of my time, because so far none of them have shown much interest in discussing their past work with me. They're all more jazzed about current/future work, which I guess makes sense.

I noticed this as well! then my adviser mentioned that by the time something is published it has been years since the writer has focused on it. Again why contact is so important. You have no idea what people are into.

I noticed this as well! then my adviser mentioned that by the time something is published it has been years since the writer has focused on it. Again why contact is so important. You have no idea what people are into.

I think that's where I screwed up, by not asking about current research interests. But still, if I contact them about their work, you would think they might say "well, I've moved on from that to x, y and z..." I decided to just cut out the program where I got negative/neutral responses. It was an ivy league psych program, I probably never would have gotten in anyway, and if they're snobby about things, then it's probably not a good fit for me anyway. One less app fee and rejection to worry about!

I had a good experience with someone from Edinburgh. She said she'd read my full proposal, give me advice on how to improve it, etc. etc. and then said she would be willing to be my advisor if I got in.

FWIW, I think some people take professors' responses too seriously. For example, my advisor sends short, sometimes abrupt emails. Why? Because he's busy and doesn't have time for lots of things. BUT, he's a great person to work with because he's sharp and will carve out the time for you if you let him know in advance. So, take email for what it is: an impersonal means of communication. Don't let the absence or perceived coldness of a reply keep you from applying if everything else indicates the school is a great fit for you.

Thanks mostly to this thread, I finally worked up the nerve to email Favourite Potential Supervisor at Top Choice University.

Despite being extremely busy and halfway out the door to a conference, she sent me a reply along the lines of: 'You sound exactly like what I'd want in a graduate student!' And encouraged me to come visit this autumn.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

FWIW, I think some people take professors' responses too seriously. For example, my advisor sends short, sometimes abrupt emails. Why? Because he's busy and doesn't have time for lots of things. BUT, he's a great person to work with because he's sharp and will carve out the time for you if you let him know in advance. So, take email for what it is: an impersonal means of communication. Don't let the absence or perceived coldness of a reply keep you from applying if everything else indicates the school is a great fit for you.

great advice! my previous advisor is known for his short, sometimes abrupt emails, but he's a great mentor.

I did my research, poring over every faculty member's CV, reading whatever publications I could find online, and found the professor whose research interests most closely align with mine. So I sent a short email (one medium-sized paragraph), demonstrating I was familiar with his work, telling him what my proposed focus of study is, asking him if that's a viable focus of study there, asking if he'd be interested in helping me explore it if I'm granted admission, yada yada yada.

His response?

"You need to talk to the X Director, not me."

That's it. The entirety of his email. Ouch. I'm pretty sure he didn't even read my email. What a jerk. I understand these people are busy, but being a professor at a good university does not excuse you from basic manners. And the Director's research interests have NOTHING to do with mine, other than the fact that they involve the Middle East, so it's not like he was trying to direct me toward someone better suited for my area of interest.

Okay, done with the rant. Should I contact the Director anyway? I don't even know what I would say- I don't really have any questions for him. Or should I contact another professor whose interests don't quite match (but are better than the Director's)?

Each program is different. Do you know if you need to align yourself with an advisor coming in? If that's not the case, the Director may be the one that fields all the questions about the program. You're right, it definitely doesn't give you a warm, fuzzy feeling! Of course, that doesn't mean the prof wouldn't be a good advisor or isn't a good advisor with their current students, it may just be the way their program admissions works.

Havent contacted anyone yet but advice from yesterday's grad fair was welcoming if not a bit confusing. No one said it was a bad Idea but the panelists leading a discussion and a few schools wanted contacts routed through their admissions/directors office, either directly or copied. Other programs thought it would be better to go straight to the prof and bypass the admin office. Clarity at last. Sort of.

Most of my emails have been successful; short blurbs saying that my interests would fit theirs and that I should remind them of me come November when they start considering admissions. However, one prof I just contacted sent me a 7 paragraph response! I still haven't figured out how to reply! She seems pretty enthusiastic that my interests fit the project that she just got some grants for. :)

Just sent another email. I feel like even sending the email counts as a success story. I just noticed, after hitting send, that this prof and the prof I sent an email to at another school about two months ago, were in the same programme and finished the same year. Too bad I can't apply there too!

Great idea for a thread!

I contacted a Poli Sci professor about a month ago. It was Saturday afternoon my time but late Friday night her time. She replied within minutes, and the reply was through her gmail, not uni, email. I like to think that she was checking her personal email, saw my email that got forwarded from her uni email, and thought that I was clearly so brilliant that she had to respond right that second. In any case, she was enthusiastic and asked me to send a CV.

I wonder if this varies by discipline - I read somewhere that in some field contacting professors in advance of the application is frowned upon, and I was gutted that wasn't the case for me.

Hi, I also shared the same experience with u. The Prof. I contacted replied through gmail instead of univ email, and asked for my CV. But after I sent him my CV, there is no reply. Is it because my CV sucks or he is 2 busy?

Responses to my queries have ranged from extremely enthusiastic to nonexistent.

I am inclined to agree with the above posters who have warned against putting too much stock into these responses, but in general, being outright ignored can't be a good sign. It's especially disconcerting because I am actually trying to get an idea of where my somewhat unique approach to my discipline will be supported and well-received. I would much rather be directly informed that X Department would not be a fitting place to pursue my line of work than left wondering without a response. And, of course, I wouldn't mind saving myself the application fee. At the same time, I don't want to make an erroneous assumption based on an ignored email and not apply to a school that would have actually been a good fit! Sorry, not sure anyone can actually shed light on this issue... just really had to vent.