2016 Applicants

20 hours ago, esopha said:

Can you send the letter back along with a nice handwritten note saying how much you like the program and want to go to the school? Maybe mention that you've enjoyed taking your prereqs there?

I didn't see this until later and I already sent it out :( Oh well, at least they'll receive my response soon then..

18 hours ago, koalalover1 said:

Yay! I'm glad that your application got straightened out! Guess we'll be waiting until April 15th! :)

Yesss. I'm still holding out for PSU and Syracuse though. The waiting is torture!!

Do you guys think it would be safe to say I'm rejected from Queens College if I haven't received an interview offer by now?

My friend also got a call from MGH tonight regarding an acceptance, and my application still says "being reviewed" in the portal, so should I assume that's a rejection too? 

I'm starting to get nervous because I haven't gotten a single acceptance out of 12 schools. Makes me wonder if my stats are worse than I thought.. But I don't even know what I can do to raise them since I've already graduated. I've taken the GRE twice and scored the same on verbal both times, and only got 1 point higher on math. My writing score did go up as I was more prepared for the essays this time. But other than continuing to get good grads with my pre-req, I'm not sure what else to do to improve if I don't get accepted. I think I panic a little more each passing day... 

Has anyone heard anything besides acceptances from Rush? I submitted the supplemental app but haven't heard anything since. I know that they did the supplemental app in waves so a part of me is hoping the might be doing acceptances that way too. Either way I'd just like to know one way or the other.

1 hour ago, rzilby said:

Do you guys think it would be safe to say I'm rejected from Queens College if I haven't received an interview offer by now?

My friend also got a call from MGH tonight regarding an acceptance, and my application still says "being reviewed" in the portal, so should I assume that's a rejection too? 

I'm starting to get nervous because I haven't gotten a single acceptance out of 12 schools. Makes me wonder if my stats are worse than I thought.. But I don't even know what I can do to raise them since I've already graduated. I've taken the GRE twice and scored the same on verbal both times, and only got 1 point higher on math. My writing score did go up as I was more prepared for the essays this time. But other than continuing to get good grads with my pre-req, I'm not sure what else to do to improve if I don't get accepted. I think I panic a little more each passing day... 

Please don't give up hope! There is definitely a program out there for you and you WILL find your way into it! 

As for MGH, I have seen in the past on the results page that they offer people through the phone in waves and that people get emails saying they were accepted. I have been accepted by phone and my portal hasn't changed. I think the professor said everything should update by Monday.

There will be good that comes out of this! Just hold out for it!

2 minutes ago, ThatSpeechGuy said:

Please don't give up hope! There is definitely a program out there for you and you WILL find your way into it! 

As for MGH, I have seen in the past on the results page that they offer people through the phone in waves and that people get emails saying they were accepted. I have been accepted by phone and my portal hasn't changed. I think the professor said everything should update by Monday.

There will be good that comes out of this! Just hold out for it!

Thanks. I just feel kind of sick from stress tonight after seeing my friend's post on facebook that she was accepted. I'm really happy for her and she absolutely deserves it, but it scares me because we took the same courses, had a similar GPA I think, and had one LOR in common. We both even transferred the same year. I wasn't able to participate in research because I was a commuter and had 18 credits the semester they started looking for RAs, so I'm wondering if that hurt my chances at schools. I also interned at a clinic, but don't have any observation hours. Most places I contacted didn't respond, and other places were just too far away. If I don't get in, I'm not sure what I can do a third year out from college to improve my chances. I'm currently doing pre-reqs and I work as an ESL teacher. I'm absolutely dreading a third year in a row of going through this process. If I found this website sooner, I would have checked out which programs weren't as popular and tried for those, or looked for places that take lower GPAs or more out of field students. 

But I'll be looking out for that e-mail. I guess the worst that happens is I hold on to see if I'm taken off the waitlist for UWEC or if another school accepts me. It's just scary watching my options dwindle down :( After spending a year doing an internship, paying out of my savings for a CELTA certificate to be able to teach, working to boost my resume, and doing the prereqs, I feel really down about this process. 

Just got my first rejection to University of Washington. That stung a lot since it was my number 1 choice by a landslide :( luckily, I have one acceptance on the table and still have yet to hear back from other schools. It's just really disheartening to get rejected from a program that you think is perfect for you

7 minutes ago, EESpeechie said:

Just got my first rejection to University of Washington. That stung a lot since it was my number 1 choice by a landslide :( luckily, I have one acceptance on the table and still have yet to hear back from other schools. It's just really disheartening to get rejected from a program that you think is perfect for you

Ay I feel you... I thought maybe I'd get waitlisted or something but they just rejected me. Did you apply to Core or Med? I'm just telling myself it was because I was out of state, and it makes me a feel a lot better. 

36 minutes ago, EESpeechie said:

I'm sorry :( It's rough receiving rejections. Maybe the program that accepted you will turn out to be a pleasant surprise though. I think once the stress of waiting for decisions to come is over, it'll be easier to see the positive aspects of that program and find things you'd be excited about there. Hang in there!

1 hour ago, rzilby said:

Thanks. I just feel kind of sick from stress tonight after seeing my friend's post on facebook that she was accepted. I'm really happy for her and she absolutely deserves it, but it scares me because we took the same courses, had a similar GPA I think, and had one LOR in common. We both even transferred the same year. I wasn't able to participate in research because I was a commuter and had 18 credits the semester they started looking for RAs, so I'm wondering if that hurt my chances at schools. I also interned at a clinic, but don't have any observation hours. Most places I contacted didn't respond, and other places were just too far away. If I don't get in, I'm not sure what I can do a third year out from college to improve my chances. I'm currently doing pre-reqs and I work as an ESL teacher. I'm absolutely dreading a third year in a row of going through this process. If I found this website sooner, I would have checked out which programs weren't as popular and tried for those, or looked for places that take lower GPAs or more out of field students. 

But I'll be looking out for that e-mail. I guess the worst that happens is I hold on to see if I'm taken off the waitlist for UWEC or if another school accepts me. It's just scary watching my options dwindle down :( After spending a year doing an internship, paying out of my savings for a CELTA certificate to be able to teach, working to boost my resume, and doing the prereqs, I feel really down about this process. 

Feeling this. I'm a second time applicant. I've been in the field since 2005 (Speech language pathology assistant).. And last year I was straight up rejected; I was so shocked. That's a long story in itself. Basically they didnt even look at my app :( So I improved my prereq marks (only thing really lagging in my application) and applied to more schools (I live in Canada. Options are VERY limited up here). But I am so, so, so terrified that I'm still not going to get in & there's really not much more I can do besides take a ton more courses that I don't need. I'm 31 this year and I feel very overwhelmed by the thought of not being successful in pursuing my career :(

Anyway.. Just commiserating

35 minutes ago, bomstarz said:

Ay I feel you... I thought maybe I'd get waitlisted or something but they just rejected me. Did you apply to Core or Med? I'm just telling myself it was because I was out of state, and it makes me a feel a lot better. 

I applied to the med program. I'm out of state too and never really thought of that lol it did make me feel a tiny bit better

48 minutes ago, EESpeechie said:

I haven't even heard back yet.. while watching all the results pop up...very confused :wacko:

8 minutes ago, rzilby said:

Congratulations! :)

Thank you!!

4 minutes ago, EESpeechie said:

Just got mine too! :) 

Congrats!! Were you accepted to the summer program, too?

Just now, ohiostatestudent627 said:

yeah, my status is "submitted"  :mellow: maybe its because I submitted my application close to the deadline? when did you guys submit yours?

Mine says that too but when I click into the application and open it, it's a denial page! 

Just now, bomstarz said:

Mine says that too but when I click into the application and open it, it's a denial page! 

when I click mine it just says -- 

Graduate Application Status
Application Status: Submitted & Paid 1/14/2016 - We have received your application and payment of $85. Your application will be reviewed by the graduate program to which you applied and they will send you notification of their decision by email or postal mail.

Expected Decision Date: The program to which you applied expects to make their admissions decisions by mid March.

--- 

yours is under "check application" ? theres not much else to click on that page. sigh 

1 minute ago, ohiostatestudent627 said:

when I click mine it just says -- 

Graduate Application Status
Application Status: Submitted & Paid 1/14/2016 - We have received your application and payment of $85. Your application will be reviewed by the graduate program to which you applied and they will send you notification of their decision by email or postal mail.

Expected Decision Date: The program to which you applied expects to make their admissions decisions by mid March.

--- 

yours is under "check application" ? theres not much else to click on that page. sigh 

Oh what!!! I'm really hoping this is good news for you!!! 

8 minutes ago, BamaBelle said:

Thank you!!

Congrats!! Were you accepted to the summer program, too?

Yes I was! I'm not sure if they let people defer to the Fall semester

1 minute ago, bomstarz said:

Oh what!!! I'm really hoping this is good news for you!!! 

haha, I'm not getting my hopes up because I've been waitlisted by most my programs :huh: but thanks! they don't know what they're missing with rejecting you guys!  

1 hour ago, EESpeechie said:

Congrats on your acceptance that is "on the table."  Sorry about your rejection to UW - but just think - you are going to study SLP where you are meant to study SLP.  You will be where you are meant to be.  I know that sounds silly and somewhat Zen, but I was accepted to the UW MedSLP program, and yet I doubt we (my family) can finance it. So bittersweet.  Nobody on this forum should feel bad about a denial.  

1 hour ago, bomstarz said:

Did you apply to Core or Med?  Out-of-state might have an impact, but I am out-of-state as are others who have been accepted, so who knows?  Honestly, no SLP major should beat themselves up about not being accepted to any program, no matter how high or low on the "list."  We are a part of a VERY competitive major.  More competitive than many majors that parents WISH their children chose, lol.

Edited by Jolie717

Good news from my day!

I'm on Pittsburgh's waitlist. Which is more than I expected since they didn't even look at my application until 8 days ago (recommenders didn't submit until 2 weeks late and the school didn't bother to look at WHY my app was late, just ignored it until I questioned it). I really, really, REALLY hope I get in here if I don't get in anywhere else.

Maryland said I should be hearing back next week(ish), someone else said JMU will tell us around the 18th, and Penn State didn't respond to my email.

Progress is being made. I have hope again, and this weekend is gonna be the looooonngest weekend ever.