2016 Applicants

On March 25, 2016 at 7:28 PM, talkingcake said:

I'm going to the open house!  I'm still trying to decide on UW, Boulder, and SDSU.  I walked around SDSU this Monday, I'm going to the open house at Boulder this coming Monday, and going to the open house at UW the following Monday.  Looking at the agenda Boulder sent us today, it definitely seems worth it to go to the open house! :)  

On an unrelated note, I was coincidentally eating sesame mochi earlier haha :D 

I would love to hear about what you think of the UW open house!  I won't be able to visit until summer, so it would be wonderful if I could get a fellow Californian's perspective on the area, as well as a fellow undergrad's perspective on their grad program.  ?

Looking for some advice! I'm considering salus u., but have some reservations.

I'm wondering specifically what your opinion is about a school that's searching for a new chair/program director? Apparently it will be their 3rd director since opening in 2014. Also it is a smaller health sciences school as opposed to a large university. I had such a positive experience when I toured the campus, met with students and interviewed there! However a friend of mine at a different Philadelphia area program shared a different perspective. Her professors mentioned that since they are searching for their 3rd director, this may be a red flag.  I have already emailed about getting in contact with some current students so I can gauge their opinions.  Anyone in contact with any current students? I really loved everything about the program and so I'm trying hard to resolve my reservations about this. 

On 3/14/2016 at 0:42 PM, cosmicmorgan said:

Don't worry about having a 3.5 GPA. It may not be easy, but its definitely possible. I've been accepted to two schools with an overall of 2.84 and similar GREs. All I did differently this year compared to last year is show continued interest in speech by becoming a literacy tutor for adult immigrants, take another prereq, and did some serious research on schools' acceptance stats and reaching out to each one individually and discussing my situation to see if I might be a good fit as an applicant to each program. Took forever (spreadsheets on spreadsheets on spreadsheets!) and I had to really expand the geographic area I was willing to live within, but it worked out in the end. I'm very excited about my options. Don't lose hope!! Feel free to PM me if I can be of any help.

My GPA is 3.24 and JMU has a minimum of 3.25, Do you think I should reach out to them as you did other universities? If so what should I ask/tell them? 

2 hours ago, sincerelycree said:

My GPA is 3.24 and JMU has a minimum of 3.25, Do you think I should reach out to them as you did other universities? If so what should I ask/tell them? 

JMU gets 350-400 applicants typically so they rely heavily on GPA and GRE scores. I applied this year and was rejected with a GPA of 4.0 in my post-bacc classes. Not saying you shouldn't apply, but you may have better luck at a school with fewer applicants so they can really look at your entire application.

2 hours ago, sincerelycree said:

I had some mitigating circumstances when it came to my GPA, so when I emailed I mentioned that I discussed the discrepancy in my personal statement, and I was sure to highlight my good last 60gpa/GREs/other activities. I basically just laid it out and asked a) if they had hard GPA cutoffs that would eliminate me from consideration, and b ) how seriously my application would be taken into consideration. Most schools were pretty honest about me being competitive, or a long shot, or not competitive at all. It definitely doesn't hurt to reach out. Good luck!

Also, I agree with @slptobe92. If you're worried about GPA, definitely look into applying to some programs that have fewer applicants in addition to the popular programs.

Edited by cosmicmorgan

17 hours ago, cosmicmorgan said:

I had some mitigating circumstances when it came to my GPA, so when I emailed I mentioned that I discussed the discrepancy in my personal statement, and I was sure to highlight my good last 60gpa/GREs/other activities. I basically just laid it out and asked a) if they had hard GPA cutoffs that would eliminate me from consideration, and b ) how seriously my application would be taken into consideration. Most schools were pretty honest about me being competitive, or a long shot, or not competitive at all. It definitely doesn't hurt to reach out. Good luck!

Also, I agree with @slptobe92. If you're worried about GPA, definitely look into applying to some programs that have fewer applicants in addition to the popular programs.

Thanks! I do have a few other options that require lower GPA. I couldn't help but notice you are from Delaware... So am I! MIddletown, DE to be exact. Did you apply to UD's new program? I'm sure you know, but I was told that they are still in the process of being ASHA accredited.

30 minutes ago, sincerelycree said:

Thanks! I do have a few other options that require lower GPA. I couldn't help but notice you are from Delaware... So am I! MIddletown, DE to be exact. Did you apply to UD's new program? I'm sure you know, but I was told that they are still in the process of being ASHA accredited.

Hahaha Delaware represent! I am from Newark/Hockessin. I didn't apply to UD's program, though. Been living in this state long enough; it's time to see somewhere new! (Plus UD in-state tuition is more expensive than most of the out of state programs I applied to!)

Has anyone (or do you know of people) that passed on funding to go to a school that is a better fit that didn't offer funding?

Im accepting my offer to a school that offers specialized training in what I'm interested in (AAC) and turning down funding (50% my first year) from the school I did my post-bacc. I feel guilty for turning down a pretty good financial package but I know the program isn't a good fit for me and what I'm looking for in a graduate program. Considering my experience with the department and after talking to some grad students who are in that school's program, it was an overall consensus of "I wish I had gone somewhere else." 

I guess I just need reassurance that (in this case) program quality trumps money? Haha this whole decision process has been extremely stressful :blink:

4 hours ago, jm1988 said:

Has anyone (or do you know of people) that passed on funding to go to a school that is a better fit that didn't offer funding?

Im accepting my offer to a school that offers specialized training in what I'm interested in (AAC) and turning down funding (50% my first year) from the school I did my post-bacc. I feel guilty for turning down a pretty good financial package but I know the program isn't a good fit for me and what I'm looking for in a graduate program. Considering my experience with the department and after talking to some grad students who are in that school's program, it was an overall consensus of "I wish I had gone somewhere else." 

I guess I just need reassurance that (in this case) program quality trumps money? Haha this whole decision process has been extremely stressful :blink:

I'm doing the same thing- turning down an offer with funding in favor of a program that is a better fit for me.  I needed a couple weeks of reassurance from my friends before I finally let the program know that I would be declining.  As a reminder, you can still look for other funding sources in the program!  For many programs, lots of scholarships and work-study positions aren't available until after you start.  You can try asking your advisor to see if there are any available.

I'm also interested in AAC.  Looking at your signature, is the program you're talking about SFSU?  The AAC concentration tempted me to apply there, but applications were due so early :S  And to top it off, after finishing the GRE, I was feeling too lazy and burnt out to take the CBEST lol 

On 3/31/2016 at 0:05 AM, Jolie717 said:

I would love to hear about what you think of the UW open house!  I won't be able to visit until summer, so it would be wonderful if I could get a fellow Californian's perspective on the area, as well as a fellow undergrad's perspective on their grad program.  ?

I saw your post both here and in the UW vs UNC thread.  My long answer is in the UW vs UNC one.  Good luck with decisions! :) 

Edited by talkingcake

2 hours ago, talkingcake said:

I'm doing the same thing- turning down an offer with funding in favor of a program that is a better fit for me.  I needed a couple weeks of reassurance from my friends before I finally let the program know that I would be declining.  As a reminder, you can still look for other funding sources in the program!  For many programs, lots of scholarships and work-study positions aren't available until after you start.  You can try asking your advisor to see if there are any available.

I'm also interested in AAC.  Looking at your signature, is the program you're talking about SFSU?  The AAC concentration tempted me to apply there, but applications were due so early :S  And to top it off, after finishing the GRE, I was feeling too lazy and burnt out to take the CBEST lol 

I saw your post both here and in the UW vs UNC thread.  My long answer is in the UW vs UNC one.  Good luck with decisions! :) 

Aww im glad im not alone in this. Yes! I'll be attending SFSU. I volunteered for an orthopedic center that had small AAC groups with school-age kids and I absolutely loved it! Thanks for the advice for funding! I definitely will look into it. I hope Boulder (if that's where you're going) opens up opportunities for you to gain experience in AAC! 

On 4/9/2016 at 8:38 PM, jm1988 said:

Aww im glad im not alone in this. Yes! I'll be attending SFSU. I volunteered for an orthopedic center that had small AAC groups with school-age kids and I absolutely loved it! Thanks for the advice for funding! I definitely will look into it. I hope Boulder (if that's where you're going) opens up opportunities for you to gain experience in AAC! 

Thanks! I don't think they have a concentration like SFSU does, but Boulder does have an AAC elective and an AAC summer camp in conjunction with the children's hospital there!  I think it's a great way for kids to learn how to use their devices through continuous use :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, i haven't been here in ages due to the disheartening status of being on a waitlist and hearing about everyone else getting accepted.

However, Pittsburgh told me today I'll be hearing back in a day or two!! I'm trying really hard not to get my hopes up just in case, but it's not really working. I hope I can join the scores of accepted students soon! Crossing all my fingers, toes, legs, arms, and eyes for this.

21 minutes ago, Puffer Fish said:

Hey guys, i haven't been here in ages due to the disheartening status of being on a waitlist and hearing about everyone else getting accepted.

However, Pittsburgh told me today I'll be hearing back in a day or two!! I'm trying really hard not to get my hopes up just in case, but it's not really working. I hope I can join the scores of accepted students soon! Crossing all my fingers, toes, legs, arms, and eyes for this.

Sending you positive vibes sista!