2016 Applicants

5 hours ago, racoomelon said:

Is anyone else looking at estimates for attendance and internally sobbing / laughing hysterically? Add in cost of living and I'm not sure that I'll have any spare money once the program starts. Plus, I'm pretty sure it would be next to impossible to work while completing the MS program. My mom was right about saving for grad school (I still do not regret my impulse purchases... yet B)). 

I know SLPs make decent money, but I'm wondering when the loan becomes too big of a loan-- if that makes any sense. I have one program that's going to be super cheap, even with the ridiculous cost of living for the area, but it's not my favorite school. And my top program choice (that I have yet to hear back from) could potentially be the most expensive program.

Thoughts?

Absolutely sobbing over here! But for me, going to the program I love the most is absolutely worth the cost of the loan. I will be attending a Boston program (high price tag, high cost of living) over my local NYC programs (also a high price tag potentially reduced by scholarship, but simultaneously save thousands by living at home). And like you said, SLPs make decent money, so it'll be worth it in the long run!

2 hours ago, ohiostatestudent627 said:

Cool, thanks for the link! I don't understand the placement of the rankings, how can there be two #1's, zero #2's, two #3's, and so on? Why aren't #3's bumped to #2's if nothing ranks between them and the #1's? What am I missing... haha. I wish they also broke down the ranking into different areas, which could be helpful for people choosing a program based off their interest in one specific field.

But like I just said in another thread, I've heard from established SLPs that program rankings among ASHA certified programs do not matter because the content is universal!

1 hour ago, esopha said:
1 hour ago, flapjackal said:

I thought that the graduate school rankings depend only on peer reviews from other departments? I don't see how a decrease in acceptance rates would lead to a higher ranking in that case. For example, Purdue accepts around ~20% of their applicants and has consistently been ranked highly. Looks like it may have to do more with research reputation and other things that academics care about. Granted, the wider university rankings on US News take into account retention, acceptance rates, alumni giving rates etc.

I just wonder how much all of this really matters for those considering getting a PhD. What is the point at which not attending a program of a certain ranking can hurt an application? Top 10? 15? 50?

Oh interesting, you're right. It's different for other programs, but it looks like for health-related ones (at least SLP/OT/PT and similar) it's just up to the deans of departments.

Yeah, I think that peer opinion has a lot to do with the rankings, especially in terms of historical prestige. From what I’ve read, it seems like the field of SLP was largely pioneered by scholars from the Midwest and East Coast, regions in which many universities developed clinics and research programs to advance the profession. Here’s an interesting history regarding the beginnings of ASHA.

I would assume that higher-ranked programs have more established research opportunities and would thereby encourage a greater output of potential PhD candidates.

4 hours ago, intotheairwaves said:

Cool, thanks for the link! I don't understand the placement of the rankings, how can there be two #1's, zero #2's, two #3's, and so on? Why aren't #3's bumped to #2's if nothing ranks between them and the #1's? What am I missing... haha. I

I think that's how ties are usually handled.

@intotheairwaves (or anyone else who's curious)

It's statistics I guess.  If two schools tie for a rank, then they get the average of the scores they tied for.  Let's say you have five schools, ranked between 1st and 5th place.  Schools A, B, C, D, and E.  A is 1st, B, C, and D tied for third.  And E is fifth.  Except, you average the numbers, to make it make sense, because really they tied for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place. Otherwise you get a big jump from 2nd to 5th.  So B, C, and D split the difference, and get ranked 3rd.  Does that make any sense?

(Sorry, my inner nerd is showing!  Can you tell I've spent a lot of time looking at the ASHA rankings?)

Edited by SLPgradstudent

12 hours ago, esopha said:

Also consider getting a PT job. Every student I spoke to on all my visits has a PT job - even at U Iowa. So, if they can have jobs at Iowa, I think we can have jobs wherever we end up, lol.

Ah! Okay, that makes me feel better. Some of the programs make it seem like it's physically impossible to work a job while you're in them. 

They don't average the numbers for ranking.  If two competitors are tied for first, they occupy the first two spots.  The next competitor would still be in third place.  If 3 are tied for fourth, they would all be ranked 4th;  the next best would be 7th.  

4 hours ago, racoomelon said:

I got an email saying I got into the program at University of Arizona!!! :wub::wub:

Congratulations!  Hoping my daughter receives good news from U of A also.

2 hours ago, Pronounce said:

They don't average the numbers for ranking.  If two competitors are tied for first, they occupy the first two spots.  The next competitor would still be in third place.  If 3 are tied for fourth, they would all be ranked 4th;  the next best would be 7th.  

Huh?  

Still confused.  As far as schools who "tie" they list them in alphabetical order.  Not sure why they skip numbers though...

1 hour ago, Jolie717 said:

Huh?  

Still confused.  As far as schools who "tie" they list them in alphabetical order.  Not sure why they skip numbers though...

I feel like it's basically saying, "well, there are still two schools in front of you, so you can't be #2!" You know? Like, even if two schools are tied for first place, they still take up two spots, so the third school is still third even if its "score" or whatever is technically the second highest. It doesn't get to be second because that might imply there's only one school ahead of it. Right? I think? Haha.

Edited by Cowsy

9 hours ago, Pronounce said:

You're right!

5 hours ago, mayaella said:

I really hope today is Emerson day! ?

3 hours ago, BamaBelle said:

Me too! So tired of waiting!

I agree with both of you. They are making me nervous. I already received acceptances into Syracuse (with funding) & CSULB, and now I am just waiting for Emerson. It is definitely getting hard to decide. 

13 hours ago, HopefulSLP123 said:

@jm1988 was the email a mass email or was it addressed specifically to you? I applied too and didn't receive an email but my portal still says in review, kinda thinking that probably means I didn't get it :(

I received a mass email saying that I was accepted. the official letter from the department will be forthcoming. It attached documents to verify I've completed the prerequisites and the letter of intent I have to send back by April 15th. My portal says my application is "In Review" also so im hoping they did not send it out in error. :unsure: Maybe they'll be sending the notifications in waves? Not sure. hopefully you hear back soon!

Edited by jm1988

So I'm going to Mizzou's open house tomorrow. It's our spring break and I've just dragged my boyfriend all over the place looking at schools with me. Would it be okay for me to bring him to the open house, or should I send him away to amuse himself while I'm there?